Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We are all just in a really complex computer simulation.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    The reasoning is as follows:
    One of the following is true
    I thought the reasoning was more similar to:

There are certain traits that a simulated universe would have.
    An experiment was designed to search for these traits (or signatures).

Something about the limits of the laws of physics.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)

You could be right - I had the impression that we were as yet unable to do the experiments which could provide evidence on this.

ReputationRep:
    I would if I could. I don't know the exact reasoning behind it.
    Did some reading and it proposed that our future relatives created a simulation of universe in order to observe what they were like in the past. They think it's likely because everything seems to perfect and something about the dark energy and also we can produce a simulation of an atom... Hmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    There is no 'just' about it. If we are in a simulation (and we may as well be if the universe behaves deterministically), then it doesn't follow that our existence is any less meaningful than it would otherwise be. We still experience happiness and sadness, love and sorrow - we would still be human, and our lives wouldn't be any less meaningful.
    So true. It doesn't change what we are, but why we are. It lends to progress. It would explain the depersonalisation and perfection of the universe to fit life, I suppose...

ReputationRep:

Indeed there are but such traits are inaccessible for those inside the simulation for the same reasons the same traits are inaccessible for Hamlet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    There is no 'just' about it. If we are in a simulation (and we may as well be if the universe behaves deterministically), then it doesn't follow that our existence is any less meaningful than it would otherwise be. We still experience happiness and sadness, love and sorrow - we would still be human, and our lives wouldn't be any less meaningful.
    We can't stop our own progress for the thought that something is not real.
    Well said +1 rep (Please rate some other members before rating this member again. :gah:)
    And congrats on becoming a mod mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Indeed there are but such traits are inaccessible for those inside the simulation for the same reasons the same traits are inaccessible for Hamlet.
    Not according to the theory.

The article mentioned limits. I also remember reading that another piece of evidence would be related to grids, and how a simulation would probably save on processing power by streamlining and grouping certain events. These are things we can observe and rationalize.

Although I think the hamlet analogy is a flawed one. Hamlet would be able to recognize these traits if it were written into the script that he did.

Edit: One of the traits is similar to that of resolution on a screen, in that it is not completely analog, and there are finite pixels that can be occupied. An example given to that of cosmic ray energy levels, and their resolution. The theory also goes that the quantum nature of our reality, and the planck length (and possible planck second) are further evidence of this.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    We can't stop our own progress for the thought that something is not real.
    Well said +1 rep (Please rate some other members before rating this member again. :gah:)
    And congrats on becoming a mod mate
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curzon)
    I don't get the statement "The alternative - that we're the first civilisation, in the first universe - is virtually (no pun intended) absurd".

Why would we have to be the first civilisation? Wouldn't there possibly be other civilisations in that universe (or others) that we could be a part of?
    The article is poorly worded. I suspect it doesn't mean the first civilization in the first universe - theoretically, any extant civilization in the "real" universe could reach a similar point in their development and begin simulations of their own. It probably means the first (real) civilization at the end of an endless chain of simulated civilizations in simulated universes.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this just Cartesian doubt, the spooky demon? The idea is as old as sin, in one form or another.

ReputationRep:
    if this is a simulation then it's ****ing incredible, the graphics are out of this world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    if this is a simulation then it's ****ing incredible, the graphics are out of this world
    Actually, the graphics are very much in this world.

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger I wondered whether everything was computer generated and when I turn my head the world is slowly rendered, so it made me experiment by making sounds without looking at them (I was young so wasn't totally aware lol)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.