Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If You Were Offered A Space On A One-Way Trip To The Gliese 581 Star System.... Watch

• View Poll Results: Would You Accept The Offer?
    Yes.
    25.53%
    No.
    74.47%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    'No'

With the current state of the proposal i could not go, there;s a risk that i'd be just about alone forever, there's a risk that the planet would be too harsh to survive, there's even a risk of hostile primitive lifeforms on the surface.

If you could guarantee a steady stream of humans, that the planet was safe and uninhabited then i would say yes, not only to push the frontier of human development but for the chance to be joint ruler of a planet (if you could advance space technology you could create an interplanetary empire).

ReputationRep:
    Hell to the yes

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. So far, the majority leans overwhelmingly towards declining the offer.

The two major reasons, so far, for declining are the high risks involved and also the matter of no contact with Earth and being with only the same few people for decades.

For some, "Mars One" seems to be more attractive, especially given that the risks are much lower than this "Gliese mission".

Of course, what I noted in the OP were small details and there are still several issues to resolve (which would obviously require long term planning) - and of course, if this were to ever go ahead in the future, probes would undoubtedly be sent before any human-manned vessel - that is a given (unless Earth was on the "cusp" of an impending doom and managed to muster up the effort to build a sleeper ship), so this was more of an exercise into what mattered to people. In other words, clearly, if an actual real mission were to go ahead, it would be contingent on a probe being sent ahead first and we back here on Earth receiving and studying the data to determine whether it is a viable destination.

Of course, the Alpha Centauri system is situated much much closer, being just over 4 light years away from the Earth and the closest star to our own and I'm sure interstellar probes will be sent there first. But the focus is increasingly shifting towards the Gliese 581 star system, due to the possibility of an "Earth-like" planet being there...

ReputationRep:
    Not in a million years!

If something goes wrong / you get seriously ill / have a change of heart it is not like you are in a remote place where it is a tad difficult / inconvenient to get home.

You are on ****ing Mars.

Nope!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Interesting. So far, the majority leans overwhelmingly towards declining the offer.

The two major reasons, so far, for declining are the high risks involved and also the matter of no contact with Earth and being with only the same few people for decades.

For some, "Mars One" seems to be more attractive, especially given that the risks are much lower than this "Gliese mission".

Of course, what I noted in the OP were small details and there are still several issues to resolve (which would obviously require long term planning) - and of course, if this were to ever go ahead in the future, probes would undoubtedly be sent before any human-manned vessel - that is a given (unless Earth was on the "cusp" of an impending doom and managed to muster up the effort to build a sleeper ship), so this was more of an exercise into what mattered to people. In other words, clearly, if an actual real mission were to go ahead, it would be contingent on a probe being sent ahead first and we back here on Earth receiving and studying the data to determine whether it is a viable destination.

Of course, the Alpha Centauri system is situated much much closer, being just over 4 light years away from the Earth and the closest star to our own and I'm sure interstellar probes will be sent there first. But the focus is increasingly shifting towards the Gliese 581 star system, due to the possibility of an "Earth-like" planet being there...
    There are actually closer potential candidates (no credible planets found yet though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    There are actually closer potential candidates (no credible planets found yet though).
    Well the closest system is the Alpha Centauri system, with it's star, Proxima Centauri, being the closest to Earth. However, it is thought that although Proxima Centauri is a bit further out from the Alpha Centuari system, it is actually part of the binary star system that we know as Alpha Centauri.

Proxima Centauri is a red dwarf and there is disagreement over whether red dwarfs can sustain life...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Not in a million years!

If something goes wrong / you get seriously ill / have a change of heart it is not like you are in a remote place where it is a tad difficult / inconvenient to get home.

You are on ****ing Mars.

Nope!
    Actually you're not. You're 22 light-years away from Earth

ReputationRep:
    Does the ship have an AI that operates it?
    If so, is it represented by a glowing red dot?

If that's the case, I'd want a remote control for the pod bay doors. But count me in.

ReputationRep:
    Actually you're not. You're 22 light-years away from Earth
    Will there be internet? Can I Skype my family and play PS3 online, watch the football etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Will there be internet? Can I Skype my family and play PS3 online, watch the football etc?
    I think you'd have issues with lag...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Haha, not if I get super galactic broadband:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm afraid not.

However, there will be limited electricity (i.e. you can use specially designed handheld devices for video games or watching preloaded movies - but only for limited periods at a time).

But there is no connection with Earth after two years - there isn't even any internet or Skype in the 2 year window that you do have contact with Earth!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, not if I get super galactic broadband:ahee:
    Galactic? That would be so if a galactic human civilisation actually existed. As far as I know, human civilization is so far limited to one planet and...that's Earth! :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well the closest system is the Alpha Centauri system, with it's star, Proxima Centauri, being the closest to Earth. However, it is thought that although Proxima Centauri is a bit further out from the Alpha Centuari system, it is actually part of the binary star system that we know as Alpha Centauri.

Proxima Centauri is a red dwarf and there is disagreement over whether red dwarfs can sustain life...
    Well i'm basing my opinions from the research suggesting that red drawfs can support habitable planets but oh well.

Personally i consider binary systems to be a bit concerning because the increased solar radiation and stellar winds could well lend themselves to Mars type planets with little atmosphere.

If we are to ignore red drawfs (of which there are tonnes within a 5 parsec radius) then the two i would say are most likely are Epsilon Eridani and Tau Ceti. Tau Ceti has a number of large planets close to the sun so the best hope in that system may be a moon however Epsilon Eridani has everything in the right place so to speak including an asteroid belt and a gas giant behind it about 4AU out, this system is just under 11 light years away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Lag? That's an understatement! It'd probably take just a year to even download a second worth of video! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Not in a month of Sundays. Maybe if there was contact with Earth throughout the mission it might be a saner proposition.

ReputationRep:
    Can I put it off until I'm like 80 years old and bored with life on Earth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Well i'm basing my opinions from the research suggesting that red drawfs can support habitable planets but oh well.

Personally i consider binary systems to be a bit concerning because the increased solar radiation and stellar winds could well lend themselves to Mars type planets with little atmosphere.

If we are to ignore red drawfs (of which there are tonnes within a 5 parsec radius) then the two i would say are most likely are Epsilon Eridani and Tau Ceti. Tau Ceti has a number of large planets close to the sun so the best hope in that system may be a moon however Epsilon Eridani has everything in the right place so to speak including an asteroid belt and a gas giant behind it about 4AU out, this system is just under 11 light years away.
    Whilst I fully agree with this, you pass over Alpha Centauri B which is only slightly less luminous and smaller than our own Sun. But yes, the next options after the Alpha Centauri system would be those above closer ones like Epsilon and Tau.

But of course, probes will be sent well ahead to view any of these - I see these being sent off in the coming decades; but whether we'll receive data from them quickly will depend on how quickly humanity progresses - we just need those big breakthroughs or paradigm shifts which could potential allow FTL communication over large distances in space...

ReputationRep:
    Galactic? That would be so if a galactic human civilisation actually existed. As far as I know, human civilization is so far limited to one planet and...that's Earth! :lol:
    ****, *rings NASA* 'Humansupremacist made Pinda crack, the truth has been revealed about other life forms'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Can I put it off until I'm like 80 years old and bored with life on Earth?
    No, clearly not. At 80, you wouldn't even be allowed to go on any "mission".

However, take solace in the fact that when you're 80, it'll be 2093 - rest assured, therefore, that the world will be a different place and we'd have probably sent probes and possibly even manned vessels to nearby star systems. Good times... :moon:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.