Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tax cuts for private school parents Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    ...I go to imperial and never worked hard in school.

My brother went to oxford and did nothing in school. He was a nightmare student to the point where he got suspended several times and has been arrested.

edit: Also as Einstein was most likely dyslexic so he would like Attenborough he would be someone who needed extra help. Although he succeeded regardless due to natural intelligence.
    In which case you're the first two people I know that happened to :P I go to Warwick myself and have to work really hard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sagga)
    They are classified as charities which lets them get the tax cuts. If they are not given this incentive they'll surely withdraw their other resources such as teachers and venue being used by state schools?
    No the question was should parents of those children at private schools get tax cuts as their children don't use the state school system. I'm arguing no, which would be seen as the consensus. Whether the private schools themselves should get tax cuts is a separate debate.

And it is easier, far far easier, to get A*AA and a place at Oxford if you went to a top private school then if you went to an average state school.

I am Conservative, but one of the issues I've always diverged from on is education. I support grammar schools (if, they can be what I call 'various entry points' i.e. one can enter aged 11, 13 or 16) and I support private schools, but universities, employers and various others have to take into account that an Eton educated pupil can probably get to a higher level (or higher perceived level) than someone at an average state school.

ReputationRep:
    hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    No the question was should parents of those children at private schools get tax cuts as their children don't use the state school system. I'm arguing no, which would be seen as the consensus. Whether the private schools themselves should get tax cuts is a separate debate.

And it is easier, far far easier, to get A*AA and a place at Oxford if you went to a top private school then if you went to an average state school.

I am Conservative, but one of the issues I've always diverged from on is education. I support grammar schools (if, they can be what I call 'various entry points' i.e. one can enter aged 11, 13 or 16) and I support private schools, but universities, employers and various others have to take into account that an Eton educated pupil can probably get to a higher level (or higher perceived level) than someone at an average state school.
    parents who privately educate their children dont use state education. True. But then neither do the millions of people without children at all. Surely if parents who send their kids private should get relief, then everyone who doesnt use the system should get relief?

Sorry don't know why I quoted you I suppose to support what you are saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)

I think I had misunderstood the question in that case. Yes then I agree parents should not get a tax cut if their children are educated at private schools. However, I still stick to the fact that private schools are charities.
    I also agree that it is easier to get A*AA and a place at Oxford if you're at a private school as you have better resources such as teachers and career guides at your disposal. However you also have to take it into account that pupils at private schools are already motivated to work hard and achieve good grades than many if their state school counterparts.
    I've been educated at a grammar school for 6th form and comprehensive school until GCSE. When I was at that comprehensive school, students used to throw books and paper planes in lessons. Even just before the exams which I find is appalling. As they are not working they are less likely to get good grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.