Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sterling Moss says women don't have the mental strength for F1 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    The people saying "one woman will someday" is a bit of a red herring.

There have been five female f1 drivers in the past (wiki), which shows, at least to some extent, that some women do have the skills (just as some men have the skills). .
    I was just coming here to say this.
    One of them even scored half a point!

I don't see any difference between the sexes that would make it so we wouldn't have the mental strength to do it, and these women show that we can; along with Maria DeVillota before her accident and the woman signed on the Red Bull young drivers program (they know what they're doing at Red Bull and wouldn't bother with her if they didn't think she could at least get to the level, even if she's not there now). There are obvious physical differences, men can build more muscle (although not as relevant for F1 because as Hekki K says in an article someone posted above, it's more about lean and strong than built up muscles) and generally have better spatial awareness. But that just means there should be less of us because it's harder for us to reach the standard, not that we shouldn't be able to compete at all.

People like Sterling Moss saying this is making the problem worse. You have to start young and if a young girl hears this (and I don't expect a young girl to have the mental strength to realise he's being an idiot like I can right now) she might be put off, leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy. A lot of the time by the time she's old enough to realise he's talking bull, she's too old to have a good shot at motorsport. I think we should be encouraging girls to go for it if they want and seeing how many we can get rather than seeing that it's only 5 in history and concluding that it's just not a woman's sport.

I hope to see another woman driver soon. I hope that there will be a female race winner and even world champion in my lifetime. I can't wait to see if it happens because I can believe that someone will be able to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/6980337.stm

You have no clue. Do you even realise how hard it is to concentrate when travelling at speeds of 190mph?

Let me guess, you ride ponies/horses every now and then in some private track, like a rich girl?
    Actually ive had my own ponies, bred and trained some myself and been asked to compete at some of the most respected competitions in the Uk.
    I have consistently have ridden and trained for 20 years.

And no, neither me or my family are rich

Dont make assumptions about someone you clearly know **** all about.

(and wtf is a private track?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc Fiorano)
    This is just :facepalm:

More people know how to ride a race horse than drive a F1 car, fact.

As for them needing more 'skill', I presume you speak on comparative terms based on the experience of having done both? You've driven an F1 car yeah? :rolleyes:
    and the people on here have ridden difficult horses that require skill yeah?

(racehorses arent as difficult as comp horses and those are what i was talking about. They arent little riding school ponies.)

Dont have a go at me for not trying f1, when people on this thread clearly know **** all about riding a difficult horse. Using that logic neither of us can argue against each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    Actually ive had my own ponies, bred and trained some myself and been asked to compete at some of the most respected competitions in the Uk.
    I have consistently have ridden and trained for 20 years.

And no, neither me or my family are rich

Dont make assumptions about someone you clearly know **** all about.

(and wtf is a private track?)
    Spoilt daddy's girl eh?

I love how you seem to think that because you've ridden horses/ponies for long, that automatically makes it a more skilled thing than F1. You must be living on a parallel universe, surely.

I'm not saying you don't have skill. Of course you need to be extremely skilled, but making comparisons to F1 is just laughable.

ReputationRep:
    and the people on here have ridden difficult horses that require skill yeah?

(racehorses arent as difficult as comp horses and those are what i was talking about. They arent little riding school ponies.)

Dont have a go at me for not trying f1, when people on this thread clearly know **** all about riding a difficult horse. Using that logic neither of us can argue against each other.
    Actually I have, been horse riding for 8 years :u:
    I was a hopeful for Beijing 2008 but decided not to pursue it :aetsch:

But in all seriousness, your comments were just ridiculous but amusing at the same time. The only thing you know is horse riding so all of a sudden you use that as the yard stick by which extreme sports are judged against :rolleyes:

Also even the most primitive of individuals know that comparing 'skill' between different sports is a complete facile argument. The debate here is not so much about the skill but more a question on fitness (be it physical or mental).

As with most sports with gender divisions...they can all be highly skilled but men and women are in separate divisions on the grounds of fitness levels.

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

ReputationRep:
    Spoilt daddy's girl eh?

I love how you seem to think that because you've ridden horses/ponies for long, that automatically makes it a more skilled thing than F1. You must be living on a parallel universe, surely.
    hardly, like i said he wouldnt have the money to spoil me even if he wanted to, i got given cheap animals and got told to make something of them, which i did. Money doesnt buy good riding or training ability - and if trying to throw insults at me is the best you can do, go get a grip.

and that is complete bull**** (the bit in bold, in case you wanted to assume **** again :rolleyes:) My riding has **** all to do it.

F1 is skilled, but the car doesnt require training, the car doesnt have good days and bad days, the car doesnt have a mind of its own, the car doesnt argue with you.
    Normal riding on normal horses is piss easy, the horses the olympians ride are a thousand times more talented and harder to control.

ReputationRep:
    hardly, like i said he wouldnt have the money to spoil me even if he wanted to, i got given cheap animals and got told to make something of them, which i did. Money doesnt buy good riding or training ability - and if trying to throw insults at me is the best you can do, go get a grip.

and that is complete bull**** (the bit in bold, in case you wanted to assume **** again :rolleyes:) My riding has **** all to do it.

F1 is skilled, but the car doesnt require training, the car doesnt have good days and bad days, the car doesnt have a mind of its own, the car doesnt argue with you.
    Normal riding on normal horses is piss easy, the horses the olympians ride are a thousand times more talented and harder to control.
    M'dear, you have missed the point.

This thread is to debate, whether females have the mental ability to cope with F1, not to talk about how well you can tame your 'ride'.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I have, been horse riding for 8 years :u:
    I was a hopeful for Beijing 2008 but decided not to pursue it :aetsch:

well done

But in all seriousness, your comments were just ridiculous but amusing at the same time. The only thing you know is horse riding so all of a sudden you use that as the yard stick by which extreme sports are judged against :rolleyes:

Also even the most primitive of individuals know that comparing 'skill' between different sports is a complete facile argument. The debate here is not so much about the skill but more a question on fitness (be it physical or mental).

As with most sports with gender divisions...they can all be highly skilled but men and women are in separate divisions on the grounds of fitness levels.

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:
    And i do other sports except horse riding, just they werent brought up on this thread by many people who have never even tried it, neither would i class them as needing a high level of fitness or as difficult as driving an F1 car.

The fitness needs to be higher for F1 as ive already agreed, the skill required though i believe is higher in riding a top horse. The car is never going to argue back, neither is it going to freak out, neither is going to decide it doesnt want to do what its being asked to do.
    I think horse riding is one of the most skilled sports around and the fact it manages that without gender divide is impressive.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, it's like you're saying it as if you've done it :clap2:

You argue with horses? :mmm: Hate to break it to you, but horses don't talk...

You do know that, right? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    M'dear, you have missed the point.

This thread is to debate, whether females have the mental ability to cope with F1, not to talk about how well you can tame your 'ride'.
    You really dont have any good arguments left do you? Why? Because you know nothing about what i was talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, it's like you're saying it as if you've done it :clap2:

You argue with horses? :mmm: Hate to break it to you, but horses don't talk...

You do know that, right? :lolwut:
    They communicate through body language actually.

You need to train the horse, the car is a machine is what i meant. Of course both riders and drivers need training.

ReputationRep:
    You really dont have any good arguments left do you? Why? Because you know nothing about what i was talking about.
    Weak, weak, comeback.

I'm done with wasting time on you [srs].

As they say, water off a duck's back!

ReputationRep:
    Weak, weak, comeback.

I'm done with wasting time with you [srs].
    Compared to yours? Next time you want to argue about horses sweetie, go find out something about them then you wont have to resort to personal remarks will you?

ttfn

ReputationRep:
    Seriously people, stop this horseriding argument.

This about whether women have the mental/physical fitness for F1.

Horse riding is not comparable levels of fitness to F1. SKILL is a completely different argument and i've met some very good horse riders that have been to the olympics etc and they're nice people and highly skilled but that fit? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Seriously people, stop this horseriding argument.

This about whether women have the mental/physical fitness for F1.

Horse riding is not comparable levels of fitness to F1. SKILL is a completely different argument and i've met some very good horse riders that have been to the olympics etc and they're nice people and highly skilled but that fit? No.
    no one's said they are or need to be more fit than the F1 racers.

ReputationRep:
    no one's said they are or need to be more fit than the F1 racers.
    THE THREAD is about the fitness levels of F1 drivers whether it's mental or physical.

Anymore offtopic posts comparing it to horseriding will be removed.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about recent F1 drivers with Maria De Vollita having a very unsuccessful test with Marrussia involving a crash into a support vehicle BUT Danica Patrick is doing well over in America.

Not only is she competiting in their top flight of racing she has also won as well. And was at the front fighting for the win in many races including this years Daytona 500.

ReputationRep:
    I'am a girl who loves anything to do with motor sport/ love top gear, but i think F1 won't see a female driver because sooooo many people would put pressure on her because it is a mans game

ReputationRep:
    If there was a woman who had the talent, she could do it because F1 is all about the ££ and it would bring in a lot of sponsorship for the team. But there aren't that many drivers in F1, a lot of drivers competing in the lower leagues with a view to getting into F1, and girls are a minority in karting etc. I think a female driver could definitely handle it mentally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brighten)
    If there was a woman who had the talent, she could do it because F1 is all about the ££ and it would bring in a lot of sponsorship for the team. But there aren't that many drivers in F1, a lot of drivers competing in the lower leagues with a view to getting into F1, and girls are a minority in karting etc. I think a female driver could definitely handle it mentally.
    There are females in the lower categories, Alice Powell in GP3, just off the top of my head.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 20, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.