Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People always tease me because I'm shy and don't talk much:( watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    I had CBT for a few weeks and addressed the root problem, whilst learning coping techniques. I occasionally have anxiety attacks when stressed, though. I feel more confident when I'm around people I have a 'connection' with (e.g. similar interests or they help me to open up). It's a learning curve, but I'm definitely more confident than I used to be.

Thank you! You sound like a nice person too and I can really relate to what you've said. Haha, my reputation on this site is low, I'm guessing due to my political views (libertarian leaning) and my love for the Iron Lady, LOL.
    Will be starting uni next year, absolutely bricking it! Worried I won't make any friends, I've never been the best at meeting new people.

would you say it carries more advantages to be an extrovert rather than an introvert in uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndercoverLover)
    Will be starting uni next year, absolutely bricking it! Worried I won't make any friends, I've never been the best at meeting new people.

would you say it carries more advantages to be an extrovert rather than an introvert in uni?
    My advice is to remember that everyone is feeling just as nervous as you. See it as an opportunity for a fresh start, make new friends, try different things and excel in a subject you're really interested in. There will be times when you're homesick and find it difficult to push yourself outside of your room, but set goals. Go along with an open mind, it may seem daunting to add yourself to the Facebook groups where you meet your flatmates, but the option is there. Personally I like the idea of finding out in person and face-to-face. It may be the case that you don't have much in common with your flatmates, but you can join societies and meet good friends.

I would say being extroverted gives you the advantage of being able to stroll up to random people and get talking (I find it difficult to do that) or speak allowed in seminars. But I do believe that it is what you make of it and quietness needn't be a disadvantage as you said you are relaxed around your friend. Sometimes all it takes is one person to bring you out of your shell. You have a lot to offer, remember that and find something you're interested in and bam, you will be on the right tracks.

Lastly, even if you're not loud and the center of attention, does this really matter? I can sometimes find those people obnoxious. We are all different.

Over the summer you have lots of time to prepare. Best of luck and things will get better! I hated secondary school as well.

ReputationRep:
    People tease me and my closest friend about being gay because she is the inly one i realy talk to but now she is bearly talking to me either and i dont know what to do as even when i actually talk rto others they just ignore me im literally crying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndercoverLover)
    I don't have any clue why people are always teasing me. I don't talk very much because I'm very shy, and pretty quiet in general. When I talk to others I don't make fun of them, I'm very nice to them even if they might be someone who isn't very nice. I have friends, I'm not any where near popular but I do have people I talk to. I don't understand why people make fun of me

I have no clue why people show so much disrespect towards me when I'm actually very nice to them.
    I don't have enough courage to speak for myself, and often leave a blank expression after being teased. I feel so lonely; it leaves me stressed thinking how being teased isn't my fault and I don't deserve it.
    Why are these people teasing me? I never show any disrespect to them and treat them very kindly.

Why Do people like teasing shy people?
    You need to understand that there is going to be nasty people in this world. Some people like being nasty to others because they enjoy it. Also you do need to be able to stand up for yourself, this is such a important life lesson to have.

Sophia

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.