Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Oooh we have the time/date for our induction meeting!

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/e...nfo/induction/

The Induction Meeting will take place on Monday, September 30th 2013, at 2:00pm in the Ramphal Building, Room R0.21.
    English & Creative Writing students should attend their own specific course meeting following the main meeting at 2:00pm. Monday 30th September 2013, 3:30pm, Room H0.03 - Humanities Building.

Is anyone considering doing a language module instead of modern world lit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurelia)
    Is anyone considering doing a language module instead of modern world lit?
    Ah, I wondered when that would be up; thanks for the info

And yes, I would consider a language module - any idea which ones are on offer? If Japanese is available, I'm all over it, but I doubt I'd be so lucky! Were you thinking of taking up a language?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and I just had a thought today about printers - I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to get a cheap B&W printer for my room to save me having to pop over to the library every time. I'm not sure, though :/ Have any of you guys considered getting one at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelCrow)
    Ah, I wondered when that would be up; thanks for the info

And yes, I would consider a language module - any idea which ones are on offer? If Japanese is available, I'm all over it, but I doubt I'd be so lucky! Were you thinking of taking up a language?
    Japanese is on offer!

I've been in contact with the lady who allocates seminars as not living on campus plus having to arrange childcare I am being given first choice with seminars and she sent me this info re language modules yesterday.

"If you wish you can substitute this as follows:Students with an A-level in French, Italian or German may take a module involving the study of the literature of one of these languages from the list below:
    FRENCH
    FR118 Strategies for reading French Texts (spaces very limited)
    ITALIAN
    IT103 Italian for Literature (which incorporates IT105 Working Italian)
    GERMAN
    GE108 Writers, Media and Society in Contemporary Germany
    GE109 Aspects of German Culture in the Age of Enlightenment
    These above modules provide a European perspective on modern literature and can form the basis for sophisticated comparative literature work later in the degree.
    If you do not have an A-level or equivalent competence in another language, then you may take a language module designed to provide a language qualification for beginners
    Please see the Language Centre website for full details of modules available and how to sign up:
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/languagecentre/academic/
    Students of Latin can take one of a choice of courses in Latin literature
    LATIN
    CX101 Latin Language and Literature
    CX110 Roman Culture and Society
    CX104 Latin Literary Texts
    You would need to liaise with the relevant department to secure a place on any of these modules. All this will be explained at your induction meeting on 30th September – you need to keep that whole day free."

I'm just waiting for clarification as to whether the beginners' latin module is still available for this year (it was last year) if so I'll opt for that, if not then I think I'll do Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    Japanese is on offer!

I've been in contact with the lady who allocates seminars as not living on campus plus having to arrange childcare I am being given first choice with seminars and she sent me this info re language modules yesterday.

I'm just waiting for clarification as to whether the beginners' latin module is still available for this year (it was last year) if so I'll opt for that, if not then I think I'll do Spanish.
    Aw sweet! Deffo going to consider taking that, then! I think Japanese is a beautiful, complex language (although I wouldn't mind dipping my hand in Chinese and Latin, too) and I'm quite obsessed with their culture XD

Oh, and I believe I may have stumbled upon some of you - Laurelia and Emmasahara - on FB. You both answered the Warwick 2013 Admits poll, right?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and I just had a thought today about printers - I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to get a cheap B&W printer for my room to save me having to pop over to the library every time. I'm not sure, though :/ Have any of you guys considered getting one at all?
    I'm definitely going to get a printer My sister has one and although she studies Biomedicine at a different uni, she says it definitely comes in handy. You could also keep the printer for next year when we move out of uni halls to somewhere possibly further away from campus and the library??

ReputationRep:
    Aw sweet! Deffo going to consider taking that, then! I think Japanese is a beautiful, complex language (although I wouldn't mind dipping my hand in Chinese and Latin, too) and I'm quite obsessed with their culture XD

Oh, and I believe I may have stumbled upon some of you - Laurelia and Emmasahara - on FB. You both answered the Warwick 2013 Admits poll, right?
    Yup! I'm Lorayn on there. Ave.Maria has also answered it so I assume the four on there are us four here. I wonder where the other 21 (?) class mates are...

ReputationRep:
    They're all hiding, no doubt.... introverts? XD Nah, I'm kidding, I can't wait to meet everyone else on the course - I'm sure we'll all get on really well

Thanks for the friend request, Laurelia (or Lorayn.. which one? :P ) - but Ave Maria, I'm going to apologise because you might have just been spammed with acceptances to your friend request! For some reason there seems to be a problem with the server, so it's not letting me add you without kicking up a fuss I'll try again later! Right now I'm off to the Jane Austen museum :L

Oh, and thanks for letting me know you'll be getting a printer, Ave Maria - I may just get one now you've even said about how invaluable it was to your sister

ReputationRep:
    I managed to find this group on FB as well that seems to have some E+CW students on it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5901...31466/?fref=ts

Btw, I have a printer at home and would never go without one now. Think it cost me about £20 from wilkinsons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmasaraha)
    Yes, I'm thinking the same of my trips, sadly...though it is in exchange for Warwick I suppose!

I hope I would, what with all the classes on them I've taken Oh yes, I'm your girl on that one -- I have all the books
    haha, that being said, I am beginning the Iliad, and my fearful days of Latin class are returning to me :grumble:
    Just saw a post on the other fb group I mentioned re: the Illiad, is this something you're reading through choice? we don't have to study it unless we are doing just English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    Just saw a post on the other fb group I mentioned re: the Illiad, is this something you're reading through choice? we don't have to study it unless we are doing just English Literature.
    Through choice, but I can't even get past the first page, I am just wilting, so taking a break with Magic Toyshop instead (much better!)

Ah. I see now about the language modules...well, I would probably really enjoy the Mod World Lit...and I am not such a big fan of learning languages, I'm better with reading/listening but speaking/writing where I have to remember vocab for my own input, I flounder quite quickly..so that's really a no brainer for me. :P

ReputationRep:

but Ave Maria, I'm going to apologise because you might have just been spammed with acceptances to your friend request! For some reason there seems to be a problem with the server, so it's not letting me add you without kicking up a fuss I'll try again later! Right now I'm off to the Jane Austen museum :L

Oh, and thanks for letting me know you'll be getting a printer, Ave Maria - I may just get one now you've even said about how invaluable it was to your sister
    Your welcome (: and no worries about the friend request, I think it's all worked out now. Jane Austen museum! That sounds like fun

ReputationRep:
    Ah, if any of you had the time, and like Austen, I would recommend going to visit the museum I found it very interesting and I bumped into another English Literature student while I was there ^.^ but Bath itself is also a very pretty place (and has lots of cute shops ripe to accommodate a cheeky last-minute-before-uni spending spree )

I'm glad the Iliad isn't necessarily compulsory reading just because that leaves me time to read some of my other novels. :O Maybe I could even fit Lord of the Rings in again before I go, eek! *dances*

Is the Iliad a very challenging read? The most challenging read I've ever come across was... Well, a tie between Mrs Dalloway and Slaughterhouse 5. Both Modernist, hmm... I'm seeing a pattern here :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great. My partner's mum is a huge Austen fan, will have to take her some time. We went to the Kafka museum when we were in Prague this summer. Also a very interesting place, he was one disturbed chap though! I left feeling quite melancholy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.