Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    Actually that's a great idea, means we have more time to play with our Christmas presents :woo:
    Yes, but isn't the weather worse? I prefer longer in the summer months when the weather is decent-ish(Although some years it is pretty ****).

ReputationRep:
    Gove looks like a 19th century man. He is one of the most annoying senior politicians around atm and so easy to see why many in the profession despise him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a great idea.
    The creativity arguement gets right up my nose for a start. It has become a byword for some mystic skill that cannot be developed except by hugging plants and being allowed to run free.
    Firstly, Anthony Horowitz has voiced support for this, and makes a good point. You cannot be creative if you dont know the basics. If you cant use correct grammar, you wont be a greater writer. Fact.
    This drive to attain creativity means we abonded tried and test techniques, and now we have a generation who cannot spell or add without a calculator.
    Learning by rote is not a bad thing, it worked for me, and its essentially how you first learn lots of concepts in maths etc. It seems to be seen as bad, and iv never seen a decent reason as to why it should be avoided like the plague?

The problem with exams being easy is that it is not a true gauge. Ok, its a level playing field, but everyone who gets 90% is just lumped together. Theres no way to differentiate those at the top ends. Hence why you need to endlessly pursue all sorts of extra curricula activities to get anywhere these days.
    Our nation is one with substantial technological, engineering and bussiness etc pedigree. We move forward as a nation and species based on the best of us, not the worst. Of course it is not right to abandon those who arent great minds of the future, but time and again, the system fails those who are the great minds of the future.
    Is it right that parents should have to pay for tution to push their exceptional children? Should our potential stephen hawkings and alan turings be left with a half hearted education aimed at the lowest performers?

Dedicating more time to childrens education would allow better development and better education. Those who are the best can be pushed to develop more, and not be left to stew for half of summer.

Lastly, it may just challenge the horrible attitude that permeates kids today. There seems to be some inherant belief amongst young people that they deserve x weeks off, and that it is a must to sit and get under your mums feet for 2 months every summer. We give them this attitude of entitlement from the start, and then wonder why scores of them end up disappointed because they didnt start as CEO of goldman Sachs even though 'they deserved it'.

Not that long ago, they would be expect to work, pay board etc around education. How sorry a state of affairs is it that we put more emphasis on this right to be free and have massive holidays, when in fact we should be teaching kids that the only way to make things happen is by blistering hardwork, and it is hardwork, not holidays messing around for months on end, that is the common element in the best of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedBedHead)
    Michael Gove is a twonk who has never taught anything at all. I fail to understand what means he was the best person to dictate how education works. I think maybe move one of the weeks to easter/nearest holiday to exam period to allow for rest and dedicated revision sessions rather than dealing with full school days. Generally I was fine with the summer holidays, and teachers are too - they often work through the shorter holidays so this gives them a chance to recuperate and plan for the next school year.
    Because we live in a democracy where we elect politicians to make decisions on things like this for us.

I mean, if you'd rather it were actual teachers deciding how schools should be run based on their personal experience and expertise, then I guess the entire free schools thing should be right up your street?

As it happens I don't think this is a good idea. School holidays are a good time to relax and recuperate, and having long periods of unstructured time to do what you want will teach you things that school never will, even if it does get boring every now and again.

What is amusing though is that cutting holidays (especially the long summer holiday) is an idea that the teaching unions have historically supported. It will be interesting to see how they react to this, given their recent habit of disagreeing with everything Gove says on the principle that he said it.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how else he'll try to increase teachers' workloads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Yes, but isn't the weather worse? I prefer longer in the summer months when the weather is decent-ish(Although some years it is pretty ****).
    4 weeks is more than enough to get out an enjoy what little sun we have in the summer, and 2 weeks off in the winter is 2 less weeks getting pelted by snowballs at school.

ReputationRep:
    If he wants more time spent working, I'd vote to lengthen the school day to a 9-5, France-style, maybe doing one more hour of work in return for a lunch break of two hours. This is essential in the modern economy where unfortunately both parents have to work and the cost of childcare is spiralling. This could be complemented by a reduction in pointless paperwork for teachers.

If anything I feel holidays should be longer, as they are in Europe and America. It gives kids more time to:
    - be kids
    - do extra-curricular activities

It would also reduce the price of summer holidays and lengthen the season (and revenue) for many tourist attractions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    4 weeks is more than enough to get out an enjoy what little sun we have in the summer, and 2 weeks off in the winter is 2 less weeks getting pelted by snowballs at school.
    What area do you live in? I live in London and it rarely snows. Usually the snowfights are just for 1-2 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    If he wants more time spent working, I'd vote to lengthen the school day to a 9-5, France-style, maybe doing one more hour of work in return for a lunch break of two hours. This is essential in the modern economy where unfortunately both parents have to work and the cost of childcare is spiralling. This could be complemented by a reduction in pointless paperwork for teachers.

If anything I feel holidays should be longer, as they are in Europe and America. It gives kids more time to:
    - be kids
    - do extra-curricular activities

It would also reduce the price of summer holidays and lengthen the season (and revenue) for many tourist attractions.
    In this area of California Winter/Christmas break is 3 weeks,easter/spring break is 1 week and for Summer1.5 months to 2.5 months. The school day starts at 8:35 to 2:35 on Weds 8:35 to about 1:45PM. For 6th grade to 12th grade student start the school day at 8:00am and get out 2:55pm. How are our holidays longer then yours are?

ReputationRep:
    This is the one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard. I definitely need the summer holiday because it is a nice time to not worry about exams, homework, etc, So I have a nice gap before resuming work. 10 hours of school a day is far too much imo, I don't think that majority of children have that sort of concentration.

More school hours =/= better education

Take Finland for example, the day is only about 4 hours long with 1 hour or less of homework.
    I agree completely with the above. School already seems to dominate my life and I certainly don't want to spend any longer there - neither does most of my year judging by the way everyone goes home at the soonest opportunity in the Sixth Form ! At GCSE when you are doing 5 different subjects in a day any more would seem quite hard to cope with.

It may be partly to do with the tone of the article but Gove does seem to be suggesting that these longer hours are essential to improve standards. If my GCSE years are anything to go by I would be far more concerned with the quality and efficiency of lessons than simply time spent in the classroom.

I don't think the general idea is completely wrong but this implementation and the suggestion that it will miraculously raise standards make me doubtful of success.

ReputationRep:
    What area do you live in? I live in London and it rarely snows. Usually the snowfights are just for 1-2 days.
    North-East. Yeah...

ReputationRep:
    Yet another useless idea made to seem as though we're trying to boost education :rolleyes:

It's not just about the amount of time you spend in school but what you spend it doing. A lot of time is wasted in unnecessary things i.e. form time where they do 'activities' and extra curricular things such as football which we'll just play after school anyway :s

School pretty much dominates young peoples life with homework and revision after school and on the weekends.

Improve the teaching and learning of the students, don't just keep them in school longer so that they'll hate it more and subsequently not learn as well.

ReputationRep:
    As a Secondary School teacher

I could only support this if they take the 2 weeks off the end of the holiday ... not the start

Many teachers (at least those in middle and senior leadership) stop "holidaying" once the results start coming in ... So if I still had 4 weeks of proper holiday and the results came in during the term time I would not really lose out in the summer

I agree that making Christmas a bit longer would be good ... as people have said the start of term 3 can often be disrupted by snow etc

However ... I think that planning (and money) would be better spent providing holiday activities for these students from backgrounds that cannot/will not support education

ReputationRep:
    Was it just me who forgot how to write come the end of quite a few of the summer holidays? I'd be pretty quick (always messy) at the end of the year, then have about half the speed when returning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    Michael Gove has said school holidays are too long- and on this occasion I agree with him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...hael-Gove.html

I've always found summer and end-of-term holidays too long. For me at least they're mostly wasted, mostly full of procrastination and also when I was younger (not so much now) I always came back after the summer about six months behind where I was when I left. Of course we need some holidays, and study leave but not as long as we have. I'm not sure whether I'd like longer school hours though... but staring and finishing an hour later would be nice! Extra time in bed!

What do you think?
    I think kids should be given time to be kids, it's not like we're getting any younger here.

ReputationRep:
    I think the amount of holiday days should remain the same but they should be more evenly distributed throughout the year but I don't think there should be increase in school hours.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I'd be happy if there was about 5 hours of studying per day, starting at around noon and finishing in the afternoon, and less holidays. I find that I have more energy in the afternoon, and I think most other people do too. Somehow, waking up early in the morning doesn't seem so natural to me.

The holidays themselves don't actually serve to refresh you for the next term - in fact they do the opposite, they make you too laid back and lenient. They should be much shorter than they are if their purpose is to increase productivity.
    yes if other holidays are extended then it might be good if it drives holiday prices down at those times of the year, moreover less people missing the end and start of those terms. However more people would miss the end and start of the summer holiday junctions so maybe not such a benefit after all.

ReputationRep:
    Michael Gove must pull his hair out in shock when he looks at the American Educational system with their months of holidays at a time.

1 week Autumn half term
    2 weeks Christmas
    1 week Spring half term
    2 weeks Easter
    1 week Summer half term
    6 weeks Summer holidays

So thirty-nine weeks of school. Seems fine, why change it?

ReputationRep:
    Most of the students here that are agreeing with Gove's point about holidays being too long are GCSE students, once you get to A-levels and you've worked your arse off through the year, you'll realise how crucial these long breaks are. And considering he's scrapped off Jan retakes, we ARE going to need the holidays (be it half term, Easter, just whatever) to prepare for our exams.

ReputationRep:
    no, just no...i was here thinking the summer was too short!! In countries which have great academic results, like some in Asia, the summer holidays are up to 12/13 weeks (however they have shorter winter breaks and practically no other week long holidays)...but still, less holidays will not increase academic quality and will definitely decrease quality of childhood!:mad:

SUMMER IS AWESOME and the one holiday in which you don't have to stress about exams! I wouldn't mind less half term holidays just the leave the rest (especially the summer holidays) alone gove....or else:unimpressed:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.