Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Irish people are lying scum and shouldn't be trusted... Watch

ReputationRep:
    You really can't put much weight into what Mandelson is saying because who he is and he's saying this after her death. Secondly is this taken out of context? Seems very unlikely that Thatcher would Waltz up to a party opposition members and say something as facetious as this, she probably got misinterpreted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Well they are a race in that they are a seperate race from the English who germanic in origin. Hitler believed because the English were descended from anglo-saxons it was the reason they had the British empire.

The irish are totally seperate race to England obviously.
    No, no they're not. We're all Caucasian or atleast the majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    No, no they're not. We're all Caucasian or atleast the majority.
    That depends on your definition of race. The British and Irish would be very closely related and as you've pointed out, largely caucasian but in terms of genetics people living in England would have more in common with Germanic people and the Irish are more similar to other people found in North western Spain, the Basque country, Brittany in France.

I wouldn't really consider them two different races nor the alleged comments racist. The alleged comment is just a dangerous and disgusting cultural stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DK_Tipp)
    That depends on your definition of race. The British and Irish would be very closely related and as you've pointed out, largely caucasian but in terms of genetics people living in England would have more in common with Germanic people and the Irish are more similar to other people found in North western Spain, the Basque country, Brittany in France.

I wouldn't really consider them two different races nor the alleged comments racist. The alleged comment is just a dangerous and disgusting cultural stereotype.
    Would there not be strong DNA links to the Scandinavians as well in some areas?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, it's completely irrelevant now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    No one turned their backs at Bobby Sands' funeral, who is forever immortalised thanks to her lack of compromise.
    Typical pro-IRA retarded gibberish from you as usual. No one turned their back at Bobby Sands' funeral because the only people present where IRA supporters and nationalists, while anyone who might have been so inclined to show such disrespect probably thought better of it after realising one of the numerous armed paramilitary soldiers there would have taken them down a back alley and killed them. Frankly only a complete and utter moron could think that the two situations are comparable.

We'll never know if she said it or not. Apparently she wanted nationalist Irish in NI to go south, but on the other hand Mandelson is fickle with the truth, to put it mildly. However, I'm trying to find a context where this would be acceptable, as those on the right here are trying to justify with. A black guy once tried to mug me, if at some point later I'd said "All blacks are liars" that would be indefensible. I can't believe all these mealy mouthed arguments to justify these comments, assuming they were made. The likes of Iron Lady can still idolise her while accepting there were unsavoury sides to her, to say the least. PS Just because these comments were made in the 80s and you like her economic policies does not justify these comments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddman10)
    Would there not be strong DNA links to the Scandinavians as well in some areas?
    Aye, well there were a lot of Vikings around and you know what those lads were like...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I'm willing to bet my left arm Mandelson has put his own spin on this.

I mean, come on. Think about those words in the context of a joke or some such. We're given no context for the quote at all, and that's telling in my opinion. It's just people looking for more ammo against Maggie.
    This. He was a well known Labour spin doctor. He will obviously try and knock the Tories where possible and I wouldn't trust much that comes out of his mouth. I honestly think that even though there was more prejudice towards the Irish then that he would have tried to use such comments to Labours advantage; like him or not he is smart enough to.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, well there were a lot of Vikings around and you know what those lads were like...
    This is an interesting watch regarding Irish DNA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMUoCOFQdGE

ReputationRep:
    This is an interesting watch regarding Irish DNA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMUoCOFQdGE
    That was a very interesting documentary actually. I tried to find it the previous time their was a debate about Irish DNA on here (yes, there was a previous time...).

ReputationRep:
    That was a very interesting documentary actually. I tried to find it the previous time their was a debate about Irish DNA on here (yes, there was a previous time...).
    what was the documentary called?

ReputationRep:
    what was the documentary called?
    Blood of the Irish. I think it was in two, maybe three parts. It was an RTÉ production presented, rather bizzarely, by the guy who used to do the gardening shows on Irish TV. It was interesting, well researched and a bit of money put behind it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.