ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    I thought we were discussing the will of the TSR community to neg unhelpful posters? What do 'opportunistic *****' have to do with anything? From my experience, the community tends to be pretty solid in negging unhelpful posts. There's a reason all the trolls have strong red sabers.
    I know and I'm telling you that such an idea would probably not work. I really don't think people will rally around and neg those who wrongly use the neg rep system, I don't think they'll do it every single time. And then you spoke about self regular and the reliance on it to which I said that I don't think people can be trusted with that either.
    So where is the confusion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    He says wielding his +8 green e-penis. You'll take someone's eye out.

I'm not that bothered about rep either. I'd like to be red barred for a day but hate the length of time it takes to change gems at high levels in either direction.
    As taken from my previous post (post 19#)

Well it's true. The reason I have a lot of rep is because I've been on this site for about 8 years give or take. Don't you think that over those 8 years more than a few people might have repped me because they agreed with me or just liked what I had to say? Just because I have a certain amount of rep it doesn't mean I care about it. Frankly I'm indifferent about it.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    As taken from my previous post (post 19#)
    I know. If you take part on the site and aren't a complete idiot you will generally get rep. It goes up at a pretty much proportional rate to how many high quality posts you make. So your post count is high so your rep is high.

ReputationRep:
    I know and I'm telling you that such an idea would probably not work. I really don't think people will rally around and neg those who wrongly use the neg rep system, I don't think they'll do it every single time. And then you spoke about self regular and the reliance on it to which I said that I don't think people can be trusted with that either.
    So where is the confusion?
    The confusion (as I think I explicitly said) was in you talking about opportunistic people on TSR; not really sure what this is supposed to relate to.

You keep saying that people don't punish unhelpful posts but you keep also ignoring the fact that people already do that, hence why there are people with several red gems. Do you think these people got their gems solely from the people they inconvenience? Of course not, others assist them, so I see no reason why the same practice wouldn't continue in this system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    I know. If you take part on the site and aren't a complete idiot you will generally get rep.
    It goes up at a pretty much proportional rate to how many high quality posts you make. So your post count is high so your rep is high.

Yes I know however having high post count or having high rep doesn't mean I care about it or is bothered by it.
    Also post count isn't entirely relevant to rep.....in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I think the thumbs up/down system does have its merits for particular posts.

For example, when someone posts in an academic forum asking for help with a Maths question or something, if a poster replies but their post gets many negs immediately (e.g. if they say something like 0.999 recurring is a bit less than one), the person who asked the question originally will know not to trust their answer, because they don't know what they're talking about.

Similarly, I once saw in a thread where someone (who was obviously a novice) requested help troubleshooting printer problems on their computer, a poster suggested that they reboot the computer in MS-DOS Command Prompt mode and format their C: Drive. Obviously they were just trolling, but had it not been for the barrage of negs their post had received, it could have really messed someone up.

I don't really think it's necessary for us to all have gems by our usernames showing how much rep we have personally. Who you are is less of a reason to think a post deserves credit than what the post actually says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Problem is even if the vast majority of members want rep to go, the admin won't do anything anyway. Remember the layout change and the poll? Think it was about 75% in favour of changing it back yet nothing done despite promising they would change it.
    Really? They actually promised to change it back to how it was? I never saw them say that.

But yeah, they're pretty much laws unto themselves. Despite what they say about user testing and the like, I wouldn't exactly call the testing team, as a whole, a general consensus for what the TSR populace wants to see from the site. The design change being a classic example of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Personally I prefer Obi-Wan. Blue rep gem! :gah:
    Blue would look awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    Really? They actually promised to change it back to how it was? I never saw them say that.

But yeah, they're pretty much laws unto themselves. Despite what they say about user testing and the like, I wouldn't exactly call the testing team, as a whole, a general consensus for what the TSR populace wants to see from the site. The design change being a classic example of this.
    Not that they would change it back completely, that was poorly worded sorry, they said that they would change things about the new layout and they were taking all our feedback into consideration, one problem was the brightness and how much white was on it.

"We're looking into it" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    it does decay over time... provided you dont comment for a long time... think 100 days or something?
    It deacys only if you are inactive.

My suggestion is that it should always decay, but maybe not as soon or as fast as the inactive case. One's rep would then be a better measure of recent activity, not accolades issued 5 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    The confusion (as I think I explicitly said) was in you talking about opportunistic people on TSR; not really sure what this is supposed to relate to.
    In reference to self regulation. Read above, it's all there.

You keep saying that people don't punish unhelpful posts but you keep also ignoring the fact that people already do that, hence why there are people with several red gems.
    Clearly I was talking about consistency. I do not think it would be something generally accepted and done consistently across the board. Furthermore the staff generally don't approve of mass neggings of people for no reason. People used to get warned and banned for that sort of thing you know.

Do you think these people got their gems solely from the people they inconvenience? Of course not, others assist them, so I see no reason why the same practice wouldn't continue in this system.
    Apart from It not potentially going down well with the mods my point is that I am not convinced it catch on (certainly not In the way you hope) and be something that as a community we could rely on every time. That's what I am saying. I really don't see how you're not getting this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    It deacys only if you are inactive.

My suggestion is that it should always decay, but maybe not as soon or as fast as the inactive case. One's rep would then be a better measure of recent activity, not accolades issued 5 years ago.
    i think a tsr death match would be better :pierre:
    a green gem for each win... no one gets red gems... just death...
    winner would get thunder_chunkys avatar...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    i think a tsr death match would be better :pierre:
    a green gem for each win... no one gets red gems... just death...
    winner would get thunder_chunkys avatar...
    TSR Deathmatch. It would be a cross between "Celebrity Deathmatch" and "Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome."
    And they can get their own damn avatar.

ReputationRep:
    In reference to self regulation. Read above, it's all there.
    As you know, I was asking about what you said about 'opportunistic people', not self-regulation. You haven't made yourself clear.

Clearly I was talking about consistency. I do not think it would be something generally accepted and done consistently across the board. Furthermore the staff generally don't approve of mass neggings of people for no reason. People used to get warned and banned for that sort of thing you know.
    The key part here is that people wouldn't be mass negged for no reason. Literally the whole point of this proposal is to stop mass negging for no reason; people have to provide a reason. If it isn't good enough, the TSR community will, as they already do in all forums, ensure that unhelpful people are punished.

Apart from It not potentially going down well with the mods my point is that I am not convinced it catch on (certainly not In the way you hope) and be something that as a community we could rely on every time. That's what I am saying. I really don't see how you're not getting this.
    What I'm not getting is your refusal to accept that what is already happening in the TSR community, communal punishment of unhelpful posts, wouldn't continue happening with this new system. You don't provide any good reason for this stopping happening.

Let me spell it out:

- People have to comment a reason to explain their neg before they do so. They physically will not be able to neg without writing something.

- When people give dud reasons, the TSR community, as they already do to unhelpful posts, will neg these commented reasons accompanying the negs. Their reasons will be that the offender is not giving sufficient reason to neg.

- If the offender attempts to punish these avengers by negging them too, the negs will continue to pile on them. If they continue in this vein they will go into red and lose rep points, thereby losing any consequence in the repping community and any real inconvenience to people's reputation.

What precisely is your query of the above logic?

ReputationRep:
    Well yeh, effectively lefties take rep seriously and neg anyone who doesn't have a left wing view, i personally don't dish out rep nor care about it in general. Im active in the UK politics section hence the political spectrum reference

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember exactly how it worked but I think after three or four green gems you had rep power that was three digits and it steadily grew from there. After 3 or 4 dark green gems you got light green gems, after three or four more light green gems you got a yellow gem and after three or four yellow gems you got what was known as a "disco gem" which was a gem that flashed. The people who had one of those had a ton of rep power. It was thought that those sort of people had too much rep power I think.
    One of the old timer mods or admins who were around then and who probably can remember how it was will be able to explain it better I'm sure.
    That's not too far off it. I think the total rep was in three digits at three or four dark green gems rather than the rep power though. I'm not sure you had rep power of 3 digits until you got up to the yellows.

I miss my disco gem. It was so pretty. :daydreaming: I didn't have it for long either iirc, I think I only got it shortly before they changed the rep system.
    Yeah, the people with the top few rep had power of a thousand or so, which in neg terms would be -500 or so.
    Mine was only triple figures, but I rarely negged, because the taking away green gems made me feel bad

The thing I miss the most though, was the ability to leave a comment. Even now I dislike leaving a rep, or especially a neg, anonymously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    That's not too far off it. I think the total rep was in three digits at three or four dark green gems rather than the rep power though. I'm not sure you had rep power of 3 digits until you got up to the yellows.

I miss my disco gem. It was so pretty. :daydreaming: I didn't have it for long either iirc, I think I only got it shortly before they changed the rep system.
    Yeah, the people with the top few rep had power of a thousand or so, which in neg terms would be -500 or so.
    Mine was only triple figures, but I rarely negged, because the taking away green gems made me feel bad

The thing I miss the most though, was the ability to leave a comment. Even now I dislike leaving a rep, or especially a neg, anonymously.
    I had just gotten a yellow gem when the change to the system happened. It had taken quite a while so I can't imagine how long it must have taken those who had disco gems to get that far. That said rep power was so much more powerful then, things seem to move slower with this rep system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan-James)
    Well yeh, effectively lefties take rep seriously and neg anyone who doesn't have a left wing view, i personally don't dish out rep nor care about it in general. Im active in the UK politics section hence the political spectrum reference
    :rolleyes: Utter crap. I'm a leftie and I've repped plenty of people with views different to my own, some more than once.

ReputationRep:
    As you know, I was asking about what you said about 'opportunistic people', not self-regulation. You haven't made yourself clear.
    I'm simply saying that with self regulation comes room for opportunism, people who will bend the rules for their own gain. It's really not difficult.

The key part here is that people wouldn't be mass negged for no reason. Literally the whole point of this proposal is to stop mass negging for no reason; people have to provide a reason. If it isn't good enough, the TSR community will, as they already do in all forums, ensure that unhelpful people are punished.
    Yeah I got that part what I'm saying is that you are looking for some sort of community "I got your back" scheme. I'm sceptical as to how well that would pull off. And once again the mods may not like it as they may not like the mass negging of one person.

What I'm not getting is your refusal to accept that what is already happening in the TSR community, communal punishment of unhelpful posts, wouldn't continue happening with this new system. You don't provide any good reason for this stopping happening.
    I'm not refusing to accept that it might already be happening, I'm just not convinced it would catch on in the way that you hope. Or didn't you see that part?
    I'm not trying to stop it from happening I am voicing my skepticism. Also whether or not it is down to the community to crack down on helpful posts is debatable. Or if so how much it should rest on them.

Let me spell it out:

- People have to comment a reason to explain their neg before they do so. They physically will not be able to neg without writing something.
    Let me spell something out to you junior, that option was there with the old rep system and it was constantly being abused so the staff got rid of it. Obviously the mods would prefer not to deal with that sort of issue and clearly it was happening too much or they just got fed up with trying to regulate it so they decided to scrap it rather than finding a different way to go about it. But I'm sure you'd have a full and frank discussion with them about this if you put the idea to them.

- When people give dud reasons, the TSR community, as they already do to unhelpful posts, will neg these commented reasons accompanying the negs. Their reasons will be that the offender is not giving sufficient reason to neg.
    I don't really agree with that. The reason for negging might be personal or might sound fine to them but what if it doesn't sound like a just reason to you or to someone else? Does that mean mass negging is still ok? Basically it amounts to mob rule and it's not really a good way to go about managing the rep system, levels of rep and rep etiquette.

- If the offender attempts to punish these avengers by negging them too, the negs will continue to pile on them. If they continue in this vein they will go into red and lose rep points, thereby losing any consequence in the repping community and any real inconvenience to people's reputation.
    I'm sure you've thought this through In detail but clearly there is too much that could go wrong. I doubt the mods would go for it and it doesn't seem like a very viable plan long term for the rep system.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Utter crap. I'm a leftie and I've repped plenty of people with views different to my own, some more than once.
    Whaddya know, a thumbs down on my post, sorry for the generalisation but ive never seen you in the politics section really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.