Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I said it can heat to the exact temperature for the boiling point to test for purity... but i think it might have been something to do with flammablility...

ReputationRep:
    I said because the boiling point of the distillate was below that of water... Did it not 'why can' a water bath be used not' why should' a water bath be used?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewG_94)
    I said because the boiling point of the distillate was below that of water... Did it not 'why can' a water bath be used not' why should' a water bath be used?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said something similar though I was unsure of my answer. I also think it said "why can."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaroncarlisle)
    I said it can heat to the exact temperature for the boiling point to test for purity... but i think it might have been something to do with flammablility...
    I think I might have mentioned that as well, something like because ethanol is flammable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did the same thing! Yay! Why was using a water bath good?
    Allows to maintain a specific temperature not sure though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownError)
    Allows to maintain a specific temperature not sure though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again. that's what i wrote, but someone said about the wording of the question and i think he might be right :/ Its a shame... what did everyone get for their titre and moles of water?

ReputationRep:
    I got 6.46 for my value for water of crystallisation. So I rounded down. My calculations were definitely right. Will I lose marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got 6.55 so rounded up to 7. It just depended on your average titre, some got 6 and some got 7.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did the second session pf the practical and i got 5... Was6/7 for the 1st session?

ReputationRep:
    I did the second session pf the practical and i got 5... Was6/7 for the 1st session?
    Depends on your average titre

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone remember the answers for the calaculations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by condor789)
    I got 79.1% but others got around 30%? I think I made a mistake with the rfm
    Yea 79.1% is correct i had that and changed it several times but check afterwards and it was 79.1% as it was a limiting reagent reaction and if you didn't use (ethanol i think was all used up) the one all used then you got the answer to be around 30-something and if you used the 0.8g density you got an answer around 60 or vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcol2010)
    Yea 79.1% is correct i had that and changed it several times but check afterwards and it was 79.1% as it was a limiting reagent reaction and if you didn't use (ethanol i think was all used up) the one all used then you got the answer to be around 30-something and if you used the 0.8g density you got an answer around 60 or vice versa.
    There was only 3 in our class doing it and the two others got 30 something so I assumed I was wrong even though I was nearly positive I got it right. Glad I was right in the end though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.