Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    You're doing something to stop the party you disagree with by not voting for them?

By not voting it is as if you don't exist. They do not care about votes that are not placed only those that are. By not voting you're not doing anything at all except letting everyone else decide.

Votes that are not placed are put down to 'voter apathy', no one knows why you didn't vote so they assume you are apathetic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by play_fetch)
    By not voting it is as if you don't exist. They do not care about votes that are not placed only those that are. By not voting you're not doing anything at all except letting everyone else decide.

Votes that are not placed are put down to 'voter apathy', no one knows why you didn't vote so they assume you are apathetic!
    Nobody would know I didn't vote- it's an anonymous process.

If you don't agree with any of the candidates you shouldn't be obliged to vote for the one you disagree with the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    Nobody would know I didn't vote- it's an anonymous process.

If you don't agree with any of the candidates you shouldn't be obliged to vote for the one you disagree with the least.
    There were so many things I disagreed with from other parties - and one party who mainly said they wouldn't let those things happen. Like withdrawing Trident. I guess for me, I find it difficult to understand how people could not hae a very strong opinion or stance on this and similar issues...

ReputationRep:
    There were so many things I disagreed with from other parties - and one party who mainly said they wouldn't let those things happen. Like withdrawing Trident. I guess for me, I find it difficult to understand how people could not hae a very strong opinion or stance on this and similar issues...
    Granted.

I'm not speaking my own view, merely pointing out that not voting still gives you the right to complain.

Having said that, I've become increasingly disillusioned with most political parties and will probably vote for the NHA Party if they stand in my constituency.

ReputationRep:
    I agree but if you strongly disagree with the main 3 I would also recommend looking at smaller parties too- but not voting is awful.
    Unfortunately with our first past the post voting system, any small party (or even third party!) votes risk splitting the opposition and you end up with a winner by default in individual seats. That is why a Conservative majority at the next election is still a real possibility; the opposition is split. People don't like the coalition, but don't like Labour either. A vote to the greens or UKIP or whoever (in fact anyone other than Labour) may quite easily leave Conservatives winning seats with say 8% of the vote even though 92% don't want them. This video explains it far better than I just did!

That being said I believe people should still vote, but vote more strategically. For example people can vote for different parties in different elections to get the best result (from their perspective). Folk who voted LibDem in their council elections may vote Labour in general elections because Labour is the more viable party; their vote is perceived to 'count' more than if they voted LibDem. In the same way many people in Scotland who vote SNP in the Scottish elections vote for other parties in the general election. The SNP won't be in opposition or government at Westminster will they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    I probably won't bother voting in any way again unless we get an opportunity to change the voting system.
    We got that recently and the country overwhelmingly (if annoyingly) said no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    We got that recently and the country overwhelmingly (if annoyingly) said no.
    Yes for AV we did and I voted in favour of it.

I would like to see proportional representation (I suspect this would be rejected too) because hopefully that would lead to consensus politics instead of the joke we have now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    Yes for AV we did and I voted in favour of it.

I would like to see proportional representation (I suspect this would be rejected too) because hopefully that would lead to consensus politics instead of the joke we have now.
    I liked AV but I'm less keen on PR, purely because you lose the MP-constituency relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    I liked AV but I'm less keen on PR, purely because you lose the MP-constituency relationship.
    Yea that is an issue but how valuable is that relationship anyway?

In my constituency the MP is not from the local area and I don't feel his policies are tailored to the needs of the local area. I get the feeling he'd be acting in the same manner if he was stationed 200 miles away.

This isn't the case for all MPs of course but some are effectively parachuted into an area with a ready made set of policies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.