Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PFA Player/Young Player of the year nominees Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-Jam)
    Hazard shouldn't be there, shouldn't have been nominated either. Heard a lot of people mentioning a bias for the London teams and you have to consider that when Bale wins both Player of the Year awards. Definitely a bias.

- He shouldn't have even been nominated for the Young player of the year, he's almost 24?!
    - He's been booked for diving no less than 4/5 times.
    - He only started doing consistently well in January/February time. He had good moments but August-December, that's half the season!
    - He hasn't scored or assisted as many as Suarez or Van Persie.
    - He was nominated for both awards. Somebody wants him to win.
    - He's the only British player on either list. Hmm. The only one who's done anything (WTF was Welbeck doing there?)
    Exactly why Van Persie or Mata should've won.
    The media hyping Bale up and comparing him to Ronaldo/Messi obviously was a major contributing factor to him winning.
    It should've been - Van Persie/Suarez/Mata
    Young player - Benteke/Lukaku
    Don't see why they would give him both senior and young award - pretty tame.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I believe RVP should have got it the lads been different class all year. However these things are done weeks before and so possibly when van Persie hit his dry spell. Overall though bale still is ridiculously good and my opinion is biased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-Jam)
    Hazard shouldn't be there, shouldn't have been nominated either. Heard a lot of people mentioning a bias for the London teams and you have to consider that when Bale wins both Player of the Year awards. Definitely a bias.
    London bias = utter nonsense. It is voted for by the players.

- He shouldn't have even been nominated for the Young player of the year, he's almost 24?!
    That isn't Bales fault, blame the system not the player. If he garners enough votes for the main award then it would be ridiculous if he didn't for the young player award.
    - He's been booked for diving no less than 4/5 times.
    The amount of times he has been booked for diving is irrelevant to how good he has played, the same way you would discount the amount of times that Suarez has dived.
    - He only started doing consistently well in January/February time. He had good moments but August-December, that's half the season!
    RVP , Michu, Hazard pretty much amounted to half a season of brilliance. Suarez and Mata were the only two to play well consistently over the entire season but Bale has been spectacular - him and Suarez have probably been the two best players to watch over the course of the season.
    - He hasn't scored or assisted as many as Suarez or Van Persie.
    He plays in midfield.
    - He was nominated for both awards. Somebody wants him to win.
    As above, if you are good enough for the main award then it would be idiotic for you not to be in the young award. Also, obviously someone wants him to win - it is an award that other people vote for. ****ing hell :facepalm2:
    - He's the only British player on either list. Hmm. The only one who's done anything (WTF was Welbeck doing there?)
    If Carrick isn't British then I don't know what the United Kingdom is :beard: Same goes for Welbeck and Wilshere.

============

I know that you embarrass yourself a lot but ****ing hell :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchesters RED)
    Personally I believe RVP should have got it the lads been different class all year. However these things are done weeks before and so possibly when van Persie hit his dry spell. Overall though bale still is ridiculously good and my opinion is biased
    I think the votes have to be in during the first week of April, so right in the middle of his dry spell and Bale's top form.

ReputationRep:
    They need to rework the system of Player of the Year...
    After every month players should be voted for - then when April comes you add up all of the votes each player has accumulated and see who wins. Surely this is the best way to see which player actually deserves it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    London bias = utter nonsense. It is voted for by the players.

That isn't Bales fault, blame the system not the player. If he garners enough votes for the main award then it would be ridiculous if he didn't for the young player award.

The amount of times he has been booked for diving is irrelevant to how good he has played, the same way you would discount the amount of times that Suarez has dived.

RVP , Michu, Hazard pretty much amounted to half a season of brilliance. Suarez and Mata were the only two to play well consistently over the entire season but Bale has been spectacular - him and Suarez have probably been the two best players to watch over the course of the season.

He plays in midfield.

As above, if you are good enough for the main award then it would be idiotic for you not to be in the young award. Also, obviously someone wants him to win - it is an award that other people vote for. ****ing hell :facepalm2:

If Carrick isn't British then I don't know what the United Kingdom is :beard: Same goes for Welbeck and Wilshere.

============

I know that you embarrass yourself a lot but ****ing hell :facepalm2:
    Very well said. Completely ripped apart his pretty poor argument.

ReputationRep:
    Bale wins both awards, congrats to him! Himself along with RVP and Saurez headline the team of the year and I'm glad that Carrick is in there too, he has been exceptional. They have all been dangerous threats for their respective teams this season. RVP's second goal against Villa basically summed it all up and Bale's play has grown immensely as well.

Only disappointments were that MICHU was overlooked, he's scored a number of goals but got left out. Plus the Ferdinand spot is debatable, I mean it could have been David Luiz, Kompany or Nastastic ahead of him in that position.

But of course you can only fit 11 in a team, so obviously there are some good ones thst will be left out of the final team. Overall, a generally good strong team, can't conplain too much tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Bull**** that Bale wins both awards when Suarez, Mata and Van Persie were more consistent. I hope they change the system as a lot of these awards over the years have been farcical, none more so than Ryan Giggs in 2011.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think Bale should have won young award. Should have been Nastasic or Benteke/Lukaku. Can't believe Nastasic wasn't even shortlisted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tackla)
    Don't think Bale should have won young award. Should have been Nastasic or Benteke/Lukaku. Can't believe Nastasic wasn't even shortlisted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But Bale has been better than them and won the best player. It is idiotic at best for someone to win the best player, be eligible for the young player and then not win the young player.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    But Bale has been better than them and won the best player. It is idiotic at best for someone to win the best player, be eligible for the young player and then not win the young player.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know your point make sense and I used to hold a similar opinion too. But its a bit stupid when players win PFA senior award and not the junior award. When Rooney was eligible for both he only won it for the seniors. I guess PFA have to look at it and come up with a idea to prevent this from happening. Its very inconsistent.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity how many of Van persie's goals have been penalties this season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Out of curiosity how many of Van persie's goals have been penalties this season
    Not that many I don't think. I can only think of Liverpool and Arsenal off the top of my head. Remember Rooney was taking them up until about January (when he got sacked from penalty duty ) and van Persie missed one against Southampton. There was the one against Stoke I think it was recently that ended his drought too.

ReputationRep:
    Should of been RVP. Bale should sign for a bigger club. Nominations correct but Michu instead of Hazard would be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    Very well said. Completely ripped apart his pretty poor argument.
    If that's what you consider completely ripping apart a poor argument I would take up debating. Bale should never have won, the media and the London bias meant it was taken from RVP or Suarez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    If that's what you consider completely ripping apart a poor argument I would take up debating. Bale should never have won, the media and the London bias meant it was taken from RVP or Suarez.
    There was no such thing as a British bias because it wasn't the press who voted it was fellow proffesionals.
    He tried to pass it off as a fact that Bale won because he was the only British nomination, even though Carrick, Welbeck and Wilshere were also in contention.
    It doesn't make sense that a player who's had 4 full seasons and 200 appearances in the BPL is still eligible for the YPOTY award, let alone win it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    There was no such thing as a British bias because it wasn't the press who voted it was fellow proffesionals.
    He tried to pass it off as a fact that Bale won because he was the only British nomination, even though Carrick, Welbeck and Wilshere were also in contention.
    It doesn't make sense that a player who's had 4 full seasons and 200 appearances in the BPL is still eligible for the YPOTY award, let alone win it.
    Ok. RVP should have won the award, he's been the best player this season. I think Bale is highly over hyped by the media, he's only been good in the second half of the season, and really, he needs to prove himself at a very big club in order to take his game to the next level. I'd have perhaps given him YPOTY award but POTY award should have been RVP. There is perhaps a London bias.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    Ok. RVP should have won the award, he's been the best player this season. I think Bale is highly over hyped by the media, he's only been good in the second half of the season, and really, he needs to prove himself at a very big club in order to take his game to the next level. I'd have perhaps given him YPOTY award but POTY award should have been RVP. There is perhaps a London bias.
    Giggs won it in 09 when he definitely shouldn't have, was there a Manchester bias? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Giggs won it in 09 when he definitely shouldn't have, was there a Manchester bias? :holmes:
    Bale only won it because of his hot streak scoring in 12 games in a row. Then everyone started comparing him to Ronaldo and Messi. Other then that, Suarez, Van Persie and Mata have always performed in every game. Either with an assist or a goal or a crucial chance created.
    Surprised they gave him both awards though. Even if he had won the Senior version of it, someone else should've been given the young version.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Bale only won it because of his hot streak scoring in 12 games in a row. Then everyone started comparing him to Ronaldo and Messi. Other then that, Suarez, Van Persie and Mata have always performed in every game. Either with an assist or a goal or a crucial chance created.
    Surprised they gave him both awards though. Even if he had won the Senior version of it, someone else should've been given the young version.
    But if he is the best player and eligible for the young player award then by default he is the best young player.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.