Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How did Nando's become so popular? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To give chavs another low quality brand with extortionate prices to splash out on, giving them a feeling of superiority in their otherwise inferior lives.

ReputationRep:
    not even that nice and the choice of food is ****e

I have no idea. I've heard so many people going on about how much they love Nandos, but until I read the replies on this thread, I didn't even know what a Nandos actually was.

ReputationRep:
    I got food poisoning from Nandos on both occasions that I ate there (different branches). Also if i'm going to a restaurant and paying the same price as somewhere like, I dunno, Wagamama, then I expect to be served by a waitress, not to have to go up and order like its a school canteen.

The food is rough and it's overpriced for what you get. Don't get all the fuss about it to be honest!

(Original post by Psyk)
    the food is quite cheap and quick.
    Says the guy from Leamington Spa kmt. I could feed a family of 4 for a day with chicken and chips for the price of a whole chicken.

Fact of the matter is, Nando's have excellent marketing and have managed to create some sort of mythical legend around a ho hum sauce based around an ethnic ingredient, and as you said, filled in a sort of niche between fast food and a sit-down restaurant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    Says the guy from Leamington Spa kmt. I could feed a family of 4 for a day with chicken and chips for the price of a whole chicken.
    I'm not from Leamington Spa, I'm actually from Wokingham.

... ok, point taken.

But I suppose I didn't really mean "cheap" as in the actual price. I was thinking more about the quality of the food. It's pretty much the same cheap fast food that people are used to, but dressed up as something a little more upmarket.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't even deserve that much hype. The chicken isn't all THAT good - it's dry even

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love Nando's. It's the second best restaurant I've ever been to (after Chinese).

I think the reason people think it's overrated is that chicken is such a popular thing that people eat cheaply everywhere that they just don't appreciate the sheer TASTEFULNESS of chicken anymore. Nando's does chicken best.

Plus I think that the layout of their restaurant is really nice and cozy and I love the music. It plays a big part in why Nando's is so good.

ReputationRep:
    People love chicken and chips and hate tipping, therefore Nando's filled that gap.

(Original post by Psyk)
    But I suppose I didn't really mean "cheap" as in the actual price. I was thinking more about the quality of the food.
    Oh. Well don't quit the day job - I doubt you'd make it as a food critic any time soon.

(Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I love Nando's. It's the second best restaurant I've ever been to (after Chinese).

I think the reason people think it's overrated is that chicken is such a popular thing that people eat cheaply everywhere that they just don't appreciate the sheer TASTEFULNESS of chicken anymore. Nando's does chicken best.

Plus I think that the layout of their restaurant is really nice and cozy and I love the music. It plays a big part in why Nando's is so good.
    Authentic Chinese food is pretty darn special but Nando's second? Damn, you've got to get out more.

Ribbing aside, Nando's chicken is relatively good compared to other places because that's the main thing that they do and so they can afford to marinade whole chickens for such a long period of time. The main gripe I have with proclaiming that Nando's does it 'the best' is that they grill the chicken whole and that they are a pretty notable restaurant chain. The combination of an inefficient heating method and the obvious unwillingness of a major company to risk a single case of food poisoning means that at the very least you will get dry chicken breast.

ReputationRep:
    Celebrities, like david beckham, tinchy stryder and chipmunk made it much more porpular in the UK

ReputationRep:
    First of it's kind in England really, definitely the only franchised one I've heard of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .JJ)
    This rendition did it a favour I reckon

The guy on the right looks like a sloth from the still image.

But for the sake of keeping it on topic and not getting those ridiculous warning points I'll just say this: Nando's is pretty nice. I like Nando's. Mmmm. Nando's. It's good stuff. Nando's, Nando's.

That should do it.

ReputationRep:
    Well I know why they were/are popular in Nigeria, they had the BEST pizzas :coma: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    never been to nandos, but i've been to TGI Fridays and it was amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someonesomewherexx)
    Well I know why they were/are popular in Nigeria, they had the BEST pizzas :coma: :yep:
    Which Nando's did you go to?

ReputationRep:
    must be those red hot chillis :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I do like Nandos, think it tastes nice, especially the sauces. Popularity started imo due to a lot of young celebs going there like One Direction/JLS etc. Social media such as Instagram and Twitter. And the loyalty cards.

Although I've realised how expensive it is compared to cooking it all from scratch.

I have a large family (12 people). If I were to cook 3 whole chickens, it would cost me around 10-15 pounds depending on the size of the chicken. And a couple more pounds for the sides including the marinade. So in total around £15-20.

Nandos would charge me for the Jumbo Platter (2 Whole Chickens + 5 Large Sides): £43.50

:eek: Check out the Profit margins if they were to buy in bulk.

ReputationRep:
    Social media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    Which Nando's did you go to?
    One in Nigeria presumably.

Funnily enough the girl I went to Nando's with on a date is Nigerian, I don't think she's ever lived there though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.