The Student Room Group

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJMayes
1 - Depends on how fat. True. But all fatness is unhealthy to an extent
2 - Untrue. Someone can be fat simply because they particularly enjoy their food, not due to any self-respect issues. I'm overweight but I can assure you I have absolutely no self-respect issues.
I maintain that this is true. You may not have any self esteem issue, which is great but the fact that you are happily overweight show a lack of self respect to me.
3 - That's a personal opinion and you're entitled to it. However, not everyone has that opinion, and again it depends on how fat.
True but I can guarantee that the majority of people share this view.
4 - Could you explain this? I don't see how someone being fat makes them inconsiderate... It's inconsiderate because the extra weight causes vehicles to use more fuel, other people to have less space on aeroplanes, trains etc and fat related health problems cost the NHS rather a lot of money.

Still, being overweight is a right that you have.
Original post by Blake-inator
The same thing could be said about Hitler or Stalin but many people (on here as well) give them a lot of abuse

Likening fat people to bloodthirsty dictators..well done. :congrats:
Reply 42
Original post by Pastaferian
Interesting question. I think if it isn't relevant to the conservation, then it's likely to be perceived as rude or offensive.

I believe in freedom of speech, even for people who's views I strongly oppose, but gratuitous 'fat' comments could end up as verbal abuse, bullying, or worse. I've never understood why using 'ginger' as an insult is hardly ever challenged either.

Agreed, what the hell is wrong with being ginger? It's just like blonde, brown, black, etc. hair, there are nicer and less pleasant shades.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Likening fat people to bloodthirsty dictators..well done. :clap:

patronising me because I am right, doesn't strengthen your argument, it weakens it.
And I would regard them as "bloodthirsty"
Reply 44
Original post by Tabzqt
really?

It depends how you define healthy.
patronising me because I am right, doesn't strengthen your argument, it weakens it.
And I would regard them as "bloodthirsty"

I'm not patronising you, I'm pointing out the stupidity of what you just said.
Reply 46
Original post by Iron Lady
It depends how you define healthy.

In what definition is being overweight healthy?
I'm not patronising you, I'm pointing out the stupidity of what you just said.

There was no stupidity in what I said. I wouldn't expect someone so obsessed with Game of Thrones to understand.....
There was no stupidity in what I said. I wouldn't expect someone so obsessed with Game of Thrones to understand.....

Need I define an ad-hominem?
Reply 49
Not all of them are capable. By pointing out their flaws, you make them insecure about themselves (as they should be) and more determined to change.

Why do they need to feel insecure when it's not a crime?

And FYI I don't just see a fat person on the street, point and call them fat. And I don't not like people because they are fat.

Good, you treat people like individuals.

BUT if anyone ever asks me about their weight, or says something to suggest they think they aren't fat when they are, I correct them.

OK, good, you like the truth and not misleading people. But you don't need to patronise anyone and say they need to lose weight, let them lose weight if they want to. "Because it doesn't look nice" isn't a good enough reason, it's imposing your conception of nice onto others. If you don't like how they look, you do not need to from a relationship with them, if it stops your friendship, fair enough, but it's not really your problem.
Original post by Robbie242
Unhealthy is the only one I agree with, and learn to ****ing spell it correct next time you shallow dip****

When typing quickly I occasionally make mistakes but I can spell. For your benefit I have corrected those mistakes. Now bugger off. :biggrin:
Yes they do.

We have every right to be inquisitive, opinionated and rude if we want to.
That's a massive assumption.

Are you sure?
Reply 53
Original post by Tabzqt

OK.
Need I define an ad-hominem?

No you do not... I do enough Latin to understand what you are talking about....
But the concept is stupid
Original post by Iron Lady
Something that has increasingly been bothering me is when people need to comment on each others weight. For example, "are you watching your weight?", "don't eat chocolate, think of the calories", or even more offensively... "you would be more attractive if it wasn't for the size". :mad: (Just because someone is big it doesn't mean they're automatically going to be ugly).

The only concerns which I think are valid: 1) you're going out with the person, 2) you're funding their eating or food, or 3) genuine health concern.

Other than that, KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS. :haughty:

EDIT: I don't oppose their freedom of speech to say it, but I don't think they should expect others to accept it or change to suit them.

Welcome back, I was actually gonna make a thread on this. :tongue:

People think bullying fat people is acceptable, and justify it by saying that it's a choice they have made by eating too much and not exercising enough so it is OK to call them ugly etc because they are showing a lack of self-respect so why should you respect them? Ignoring how completely nonsensical that argument is, it's sad on their part that they even want to treat someone like that, but also actually quite pathetic if you actually have the lack of self-assurance that you create bull**** arguments to justify bullying people.

I support free speech without any limits so people should have the legal right to do it, but I still feel it's wrong.

For the benefit of Jimbo and co. I'm not even fat. :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CaptainDudeson
Are you sure?

yeah it's a bit of a jump to assume someone's automatically unhealthy or has no self respect just because they're fat. It is possible to be fat and healthy

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/08/11/us-obesity-idUSN1137223820080811

Also thin people can be unhealthy too, but no one ever moans about that. I think people are being a bit unfair
No you do not... I do enough Latin to understand what you are talking about....
But the concept is stupid

Then you understand that you just used one?
Original post by Tabzqt

Ask a Sumo Wrestler.

Edit - or even a body builder.
Reply 59
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Yes they do.

We have every right to be inquisitive, opinionated and rude if we want to.

Yes, but about any characteristic. OK, let's act like a massive arse-hole just because you're wearing jeans today and I don't like the style. Let's call an interrogation, identifying underlying causes for your taste in unflattering jeans.

People who are overweight aren't a different species to you. You can criticise them (obviously...I believe in free speech), but reasons like "it's weird" are petty.

Quick Reply

Latest