Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it acceptable to joke about things such as murder/rape Watch

• View Poll Results: Is it acceptable to joke about things such as murder/rape?
    Yes
    66.46%
    No
    33.54%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Don't hang out in large groups then. I have Jewish lineage, but I don't get all huffy if someone tells a Holocaust joke. I don't particularly like it, but I don't really care either - it's a joke.
    I think you being upset (and rightly so) about something that happened to your race a fairly long time ago is a bit different to someone being put through rape or sexual assault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AeneasBK)
    I think the idea is more that you go through all your teen life not getting any attention from girls, in a crowd of hormone-fuelled guys making constant jokes/remarks about how women are "****s" and "desperate for it" and other jokes such as:

"Its said at University, 3 in 4 sexual assaults go unreported"

"I like those odds!"

Hohoho. But to the certain individual, this environment leads to an attitude towards women developing that de-humanises women, and objectifies them. Throw in all the modern cultures influences. . .

I'm not saying you or your friends are rapists or secretly considering rape, don't take this the wrong way. But I can see how the above *can* be true.

There was certainly guys at my 6th form college for whom the above story could apply.
    People need to stop trying to damage the concept of individual responsibility. The fault of rape lies with the rapist and the rapist alone. It does not, as the misogynists say, lie with the victim for walking alone in the dark etc. Nor does it lie with the rapist's friends for telling jokes about rape. Rapists make the decision to rape, all else is ultimately immaterial.

ReputationRep:
    For me it is all about intent. If the intent is humour, then anything goes. Rape, murder, genocide, whatever. Humour brings light upon issues which need addressing, especially when done in good taste.

Using humour and irony in public spheres to fight prejudices and stigma against cultural minorities reaching official, local levels and the general public. The goal is to reveal racist mentalities as absurd and harmful elements of the society that need to change
    I think that a lot of people have a habit of thinking, 'oh if we just sweep it under the rug and pretend it didn't happen then it will all be ok' and humour is a good way to make people address issues they would be reluctant to address in a more serious light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    I think you being upset (and rightly so) about something that happened to your race a fairly long time ago is a bit different to someone being put through rape or sexual assault.
    Some people are sensitive, others not. Everyone has a different tolerance level. People have a right to be offended, but there should not be any restriction of freedom of speech.

ReputationRep:
    It might vary in degree of upset, but the principle is still the same: if you want to go outside into the public sphere, you will hear things that offend and upset you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBritishArmy)
    Some people are sensitive, others not. Everyone has a different tolerance level. People have a right to be offended, but there should not be any restriction of freedom of speech.

(Original post by tufc)
    It might vary in degree of upset, but the principle is still the same: if you want to go outside into the public sphere, you will hear things that offend and upset you.
    I agree, there shouldnt be any restriction at all.

However that doesnt stop people being able to think about the feelings of others around them does it?

Ive seen rape jokes told with no harmful intentions to a group of people, the person telling it didnt know them that well and it triggered a flashback for a girl who had been raped. Its not just something that 'oh it might upset a someone' , it could genuinely cause problems for someone.
    Like i said in the first post i made on here, anyone happy to cause that kind of upset to someone is a bit of a ****.

I really dont see the problem with just keeping it between friends, you dont need to go and shout stuff out in public or talk about things like that to people you barely know.

ReputationRep:
    Rapists make the decision to rape, all else is ultimately immaterial.
    And how many of peoples choices are influenced by their environments?
    Edit for clarification: I'm not making excuses, I'm not laying blame. I'm not saying it is the joke-tellers fault that his mate became a sexual predator. I'm merely exploring the issue.

ReputationRep:
    People need to stop trying to damage the concept of individual responsibility. The fault of rape lies with the rapist and the rapist alone. It does not, as the misogynists say, lie with the victim for walking alone in the dark etc. Nor does it lie with the rapist's friends for telling jokes about rape. Rapists make the decision to rape, all else is ultimately immaterial.
    This is pretty much the response I would give.

If we have to permanently tread with extreme caution in life, so as to never influence the people or "the environment" around us to do anything bad, we might as well be living in straitjackets. If laughing at a silly joke is enough to make someone stop taking a serious issue seriously, the problem lies entirely with them, not the person who told the joke.

People say stuff like "I'd kill for some ice cream" or "if he says that one more time I'm gonna kill him". Should we stop saying stuff like that because it trivialises murder and could make someone decide murder is somehow more acceptable? No, because anyone who lets a silly little phrase like that influence them would have to already be completely messed up in the head, and therefore probably a ticking time bomb regardless of what people around them joke about.

ReputationRep:
    Like i said in the first post i made on here, anyone happy to cause that kind of upset to someone is a bit of a ****.
    Can you not tell a joke amongst a group of friends, not knowing it will upset them, then be remorseful if it genuinely upsets someone?

Telling a joke not caring that it upsets someone is different to not considering that it might, or assuming that it won't.

I had a close relative commit suicide - sure sometimes I get upset by things that are a bit too close to that fact, BUT, I don't in any way judge people for telling these jokes. And most of the time (99%) I also find them funny.

They're jokes, they are not that persons viewpoint, they are a joke. A joke! And they don't inflict damage, cause rape/murder, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Provided it's not a joke directed at or in company with someone who has been a victim, or knows a victim of said crimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslt)
    Can you not tell a joke amongst a group of friends, not knowing it will upset them, then be remorseful if it genuinely upsets someone?

Telling a joke not caring that it upsets someone is different to not considering that it might, or assuming that it won't.

I had a close relative commit suicide - sure sometimes I get upset by things that are a bit too close to that fact, BUT, I don't in any way judge people for telling these jokes. And most of the time (99%) I also find them funny.

They're jokes, they are not that persons viewpoint, they are a joke. A joke! And they don't inflict damage, cause rape/murder, etc.
    Im talking about telling it loudly on the bus, to people you dont know etc,but do what you like with your mates.
    There is no reason why you cant respect the feelings of those around you, if you were sat on the bus with a group of particular culture right behind you you wouldnt loudly make comments that may be offensive or rude to them. Its just a similar concept here.
    If someone accidently overhears something that may be offensive to them then whatever,but if its said loudly, without care where someone is and what may appropriate then its a stupid thing to do.

Also causing someone to have a flashback, that may set their recovery back, is helping the damage btw. So, no, they are not completely harmless.

Dont get me wrong, im not against jokes of almost any kind. I am against people not thinking and telling them in inappropriate situations. All it requires is some thought. After all, isnt it better not to tell the joke in the first place, rather than risking seriously upsetting a group of people you have just met for example? what is so difficult about people keeping these jokes to friends that they know well?

ReputationRep:
    Joke about stuff that isn't real, but not an actual real incident

ReputationRep:
    Probably after a certain time jokes on the internet become acceptable about them, in day-day maybe not so much. This sums it up.

ReputationRep:
    Im talking about telling it loudly on the bus, to people you dont know etc,but do what you like with your mates.
    Fair - I had written a sentence saying, 'obviously don't go shouting it around town because people also have the right to avoid hearing things they don't want to', then I deleted it. So yes I agree.

ReputationRep:
    I think taking a light hearted approach and outlook helps alot of people cope with such things, certainly though I dont agree with people joking about such grim things but I cant exactly stop them.

In my oppinion if its directed at someone and is taken offensively then its wrong, but if its just a few friends making a sick joke that isnt about someone or a case specifically then its not as bad.

But generally I'd say no,

But again many people use humour as a way to build resilience to the hard or tough aspects of life, and it can be quite useful.

Laughing about death for example can help people deal with their own mortallity and perhaps not worry about it so much,

Deffinetly a two-sided coin.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's counter-intuitive. Unless that person has some lack of mirror neurons namely empathy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but personally I don't find them funny. I think if someone made a one off joke it could be okay, but if someone was constantly telling rape/murder jokes it would get tedious and annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Joking about A murder is not acceptable, joking about the general principle is.My opinion is more mixed about rape.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's acceptable, I like black/dark humour. I wouldn't make such jokes around someone who would probably be sensitive to the topic but that doesn't mean I can't laugh about it for the rest of my life.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the joke

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.