Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anony.mouse)
    The question is 'Evaluate strategies used to reduce the impacts of climatic hazards' ...

1)I can't think of that many.

2) how do you write a conclusion for it? do you just evaluate them as you go, so you don't have to write an evaluation/conclusion at the end?
    there is many that you could do for each climatic hazard the hazards include - heatwaves,blizzards,tornadoes,hu rricanes,depressions,wildfires,a nticyclones and all the strategies to reduce the impact of each hazard although in the essay i would probably mention 3 or 4 hazards.

in conclude the essay you would clearly state which side of the argument you are going to choose, if the strategies used to reduce the impact have been successful or not and say which strategies have been most effective.

ReputationRep:
    This is exam is making me so depressed.. I'm on 168 UMS (Mid A) from AS but there is no way Im going to get enough for an A this year . My teachers have been awful, we've only learned 3 sections and from looking at past papers they can ask you pretty much anything most of which isn't in the book for the 10 markers especially on ecosystems and development and inequalities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Ancian)
    This is exam is making me so depressed.. I'm on 168 UMS (Mid A) from AS but there is no way Im going to get enough for an A this year . My teachers have been awful, we've only learned 3 sections and from looking at past papers they can ask you pretty much anything most of which isn't in the book for the 10 markers especially on ecosystems and development and inequalities
    I'm trying to revise the local management for inequality in the uk now... as you can tell not working.

My class have only learned 3 sections too! its fine! what ones have you learnt?
    we've done- climatic, earth and dev ineq

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dilip007)
    you could use italy with the south in sicilly were migrating to the north,
    poland to the uk migration due to the eu
    China Rural to urban - due to the fast growing economy
    you could also do the UK people from the north migrating to the south (london) due to more job opptunties
    thanks is there anything specifically more i can say about italy or the uk internal migration apart from job opps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzypetrie)
    I'm trying to revise the local management for inequality in the uk now... as you can tell not working.

We've done hazards, ecosystems and development and inequalities but I've effectively written off doing an ecosystems 30 marker already. Hazards is probably my strongest area as I know lots of specific case studies for all of the hazards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chessjohnston)
    long,
    re grading the slope
    draining the slope
    cost - benefit just letting it go naturally
    enforce steel barriers
    nets
    hazard route mapping
    prediction techniques
    banning walking and traffic

short,
    emergency rescue
    aid
    standard stuff

do you reckon we can use avalanches?
    yeah I was thinking of using landslides/avalanches

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chessjohnston)
    thanks is there anything specifically more i can say about italy or the uk internal migration apart from job opps?
    you could talk about living standards and quality of life, better entertainment and more firms are located where they migrate too, also in Italy you could talk about how agriculture has declined and people have migrated to find jobs in the secondary and tertiary sector but job opportunities is the main reason for the migration

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. How is everyone feeling for the exam? I'm so nervous not sure how to structure my revision:confused: any advice?

ReputationRep:
    for mass movement i cant find an urban study so could i use coastal (venezuela ) and rural (aberfan ) and still be credited as much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzypetrie)

(Original post by J.Ancian)
    We've done hazards, ecosystems and development and inequalities but I've effectively written off doing an ecosystems 30 marker already. Hazards is probably my strongest area as I know lots of specific case studies for all of the hazards
    My class only learnt three topics - earth, climatic, globalisation.

The annoying thing is, the two environmental topics are my strongest out of the three. But that means for the essay questions I have 4 questions to pick from the topics I find easy but only a choice of 2 from the topic I find harder.

ReputationRep:
    Me and one other person in my class do chemistry. My geography teacher said that if there's ever a chemical equation we know/can work out that's relevant to the question, that we could get an extra mark for showing greater knowledge/understanding of the topic.

Is this likely ?

I can only think of a couple though. How sulfuric and nitric acid form from pollutants and then precipitate as acid rain, which I checked with my chemistry teacher. And how some carbonate rocks are dissolved by acid. The geography textbook was a bit vague so that didn't help. it said - ammonia, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides mix with water droplets in the atmosphere to form nitric acid and sulfuric acid.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about population and resources and how demand varies with time?

I know you can talk about taste and the main bit is standards of living and population growth

but in the book it talks about democratic of congo ? what are you supposed to say about this...

are you basically just mean to write as you cn see from the democratic of congo which has no economic growth in terms of standard of living demand for resources is neglible!?

please help someone

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any predictions of what type of questions may come up?

ReputationRep:
    I think in January there was a ten marker on volcanoes so that won't come up.

I've been given a prediction sheet but lost it sorry!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolaburgess)
    I think in January there was a ten marker on volcanoes so that won't come up.

I've been given a prediction sheet but lost it sorry!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which topics are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    We have been taught 4

Climatic hazards, earth hazards, globalisation and development and inequalities. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We have been taught 4

Climatic hazards, earth hazards, globalisation and development and inequalities. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been taught earth hazards, climatic hazards, population and resources , and globalisation.

ReputationRep:
    Are you feeling prepared for Friday? I've got the skills Resit on 14th as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you feeling prepared for Friday? I've got the skills Resit on 14th as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We didn't do either paper in January. My teachers really unorganisaed so we'd been on a 1 day field trip before the january exams. So we would probably have struggled to do the skills paper in january. And obviously there's not enough time to learn the stuff for global issues, before janaury, so that's not an option either.

ReputationRep:
    We went on the field trip in October of year 12 so it was ages until we did the skills stuff. But then we did skills from the beginning of November (last year) till when the exam was. So boring... Haha!

I'm just wanting the global issues paper to be done already. So much too learn. The case studies are a pain and the fact they want synoptic elements is annoying. Hopefully the essay questions are nice.

The timing for this exam is going to make me stress and my writing may end up resembling so sort of scribble. I hope the examiners can understand

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.