Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    Well, that's open to debate.
    In recent years, especially since I left in 2009 they have been rapidly modernising and revitalising the city centre, building high rise buildings and fancy hotels, etc. On the other hand, many people still live in ugly, cramped apartment blocks from the Soviet era, and there is a lot of corruption. There was actually a documentary aired just before Eurovision last year on panorama which explored the lack of freedom of speech and corruption in the country. There are a handful of Azeris who have a lot of wealth, but most don't unfortunately. Additionally, only 30 minutes north of the capital city Baku, you'll come across one of the supposedly most polluted cities in the world, Sumqayit, because there are so many old soviet rotting factories! I recall that we once tried to take a photo, yet ended up being taken to the local police station for 3 hours because of it. Although nothing really happened, they just asked us to delete it.
    The countryside, however, if you go to the North of the country up into the Caucasus mountains is stunning, and likewise if you go down south near Iran.
    The culture was very interesting as well.
    True, it was a nightmare for most of the countries who went there. And the EBU will be probably be making sure this year that they won't be going back anytime soon

Still, you can say you've lived in Azerbaijan! I've not been outside Europe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManicPumpkin)
    Oh wow it actually does

This was my school until a few years ago

Attachment 215554

It's a lot less orange now, thankfully!
    Tell me about it :[ :[ :[

So orange and so big!11

ReputationRep:
    Well, this thread has been well and truly derailed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bromaldehyde)
    Holy crap ! Quite frankly, it sounds as if you have had an awesome life !
    Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.