Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Racist people at my uni are pissing me off Watch

Was walking past two girls on campus today minding my own business when I noticed them giving me dirty looks; one of them looked me up and down and said "fake" really loudly to her friend. I was wearing sports clothing and no make-up, and I'm not the type to bother with false eyelashes etc., so no idea why they said that. I quite obviously have my natural skin tone and not a tan... or is my natural skin tone not allowed? Seriously beginning to bug me :K

Also was speaking Hindi with one of my best friends in the library cafe for a laugh; it's the cafe so everyone around us was being noisy too but the girl next to us kept glaring at us obviously for a minute straight (even obviously slowly setting her phone down on the table, sitting up straight and looking at us like we were criminals) as though we were from another planet. If I hadn't wanted to not upset my friend I would have said something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I go to a Russell Group university where there are quite a lot of upper/middle-class white people from the South. Obviously, I don't have a problem with this. I'm half Asian, however, and because of this I don't look like I'm from any particular minority often born in the UK (e.g. I don't look clearly BBC or like a Pakistani girl born in the UK). People have often asked if I'm everything from Brazilian to Spanish upon meeting me. However, I've lived in England all my life, dress perfectly normally and consider myself British. I am sick and tired of the casual racism I face on a day-to-day basis at uni.

I've been at uni for three years (I'm doing a long course) and the amount of casual racism I face here (compared to in my home city where ethnic minorities are very common) is absolutely disgusting. I have a lot of international friends as well and they often encounter it too, and though they don't seem to pick up on it it's definitely there. I hate to say it, but it's often usually the stereotypical middle-class white British people who act like that as well.

As the course I'm doing is quite small I don't have many coursemates and I sometimes sit in the computer room on my own between lectures. At least five times in the last semester (when I've been really busy and in there quite a lot) people have passed me and been like "That Asian girl is so weird" or "That girl looks so tired." "Which one?" "Oh... the Asian one." It's absolutely ridiculous. Obviously I appreciate that it's not just white people who are racist but in my case it's always been them. Once I just sat down and started working in the same row as one of the girls whom I'd heard making a comment like that, and she started huffing for ages and glaring in my direction. I did so back but it was just stupid. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way I was acting, it was clearly just because I was "Asian". I often walk through the library past groups of white blonde girls and get dirty looks.

I'm not considered "weird" in any other sense (I have plenty of friends, I dress and act normally like I said, I speak like a normal British person and so on). I feel like people continually ostracise me and put me down just for the fact that I look different.

We have something called a "Spotted" Facebook page where you can send in stuff about people you see around uni and this gets posted anonymously. Usually this is just people trying to hit on each other, but a lot of the time people will send in ridiculous things like "To the Chinese person sitting in the cafe... oh wait, that's all of them" or "To the people (no need to mention of what nationality) who always sound like a flock of birds in the SU cafe" and then people will make casually racist comments.

Why the hell are some white British people (usually southern and affluent ones, though I'm not trying to generalise here) so obnoxious, stuck-up and casually racist? Why do they see Asian people as inferior? How do I deal with people like that when I see them?
    But don't you see the hypocrisy of what you're saying?

You're generalising racism against you to southern,affluent, white British people, which is exactly what you are complaining about; Asians being stereotyped.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I agree with most people that them calling you Asian isn't racist, this reminds me of an observation I have made.

Say a girl is harassed on the bus by some man and he is black or Asian or some minority she might come home and make a Facebook status like "OMG some weird black/Asian/whatever man was harassing me on the bus today". Yet if the person was white it will just be some man ...

Not saying this is racist but its definitely true and really interesting I think.

ReputationRep:
    Is this Manchester University? To be honest, I regret going to the north for university. I'm from the south east, a multicultural area and before I had so many mates but at university I've really struggled to meet people. I'm in my final year now, but I had lots of problems in first year. I remember in the flat I was put into, I used to be so nice and friendly but I would just get ignored! I've never in my life had problems making friends but I've seemed to have encountered trouble here. The girls who I were with were from white areas and were just never interested in getting to know me. I ended up leaving the flat because I was so sick of being ignored. The University in general is not nearly as multicultural as I thought it would be. I do humanities and I'm pretty much always the only Asian girl.

The thing I have really noticed from being at the uni is that it is usually people who are from multicultural areas, or who had Asian friends before university who really initiate conversation with me or really prolong conversation. Racism doesn't really have to be blatant to have prevalence. I understand you OP.

ReputationRep:
    You are at a Russel group uni, notorious for the upper-middle classes, who are notorious for casual racism and general pretentiousness, along with an inherent distaste for anybody of a lower social status than themselves, and expect none?

Also, the word racism gets thrown around everywhere these days when it isn't evident. This country is in a terrible, terrible state. Totally agree with Steevee.

Oh and by the way you sound pathetic... The Chinese at my old school used to orchestrate banter about themselves being Chinese. There of course is the simple old saying, 'if you don't like it, leave'.

(Original post by christanmu)
    You are at a Russel group uni, notorious for the upper-middle classes, who are notorious for casual racism and general pretentiousness, along with an inherent distaste for anybody of a lower social status than themselves, and expect none?

Also, the word racism gets thrown around everywhere these days when it isn't evident. This country is in a terrible, terrible state. Totally agree with Steevee.

Oh and by the way you sound pathetic... The Chinese at my old school used to orchestrate banter about themselves being Chinese. There of course is the simple old saying, 'if you don't like it, leave'.
    So if I don't like being treated in a racist manner I should just leave? :rolleyes: Stupidest post I've read on TSR, not gonna lie...

I'm White and British. But even if I went to the university polo club and introduced myself, the people there would look at me as if I was from another planet.

ReputationRep:
    I am British Chinese (full) and I went to a public school; my English is better than most ' European ' Brits.

So as soon I open my mouth, any attempts at casual racism rapidly morphs into bewilderment " Oh where does this guy from, he looks Chinese but speaks posh ( or at least can do) ? ".

What concerns me is the institutional racism at unis: that they actually WANT lots of non fluent English speakers so that they can bully and push them around (lots of examples), and that should be stamped out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melthusa)
    Be careful here to see If this is actually racism: If somebody describes you as Asian they are probably using it as a feature about yourself; you are from Asian descent. Its like somebody saying that blonde person over there, or that tall person, its not saying it as an insult, but an identifying feature.
    This, if you're in a room and you're the only Asian person, it's easy to identify you by. Just like a ginger person or obviously gay guy, you're gonna use that to describe that person. If anything calling you weird is harsh, but c'mon, weird is awesome.:P

Also I understand how the tired comment could seem racist (racial stereotypes and all that) but they might have generally thought you looked tired which is a distinct possibility if you're a student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I go to a Russell Group university where there are quite a lot of upper/middle-class white people from the South. Obviously, I don't have a problem with this. I'm half Asian, however, and because of this I don't look like I'm from any particular minority often born in the UK (e.g. I don't look clearly BBC or like a Pakistani girl born in the UK). People have often asked if I'm everything from Brazilian to Spanish upon meeting me. However, I've lived in England all my life, dress perfectly normally and consider myself British. I am sick and tired of the casual racism I face on a day-to-day basis at uni.

I've been at uni for three years (I'm doing a long course) and the amount of casual racism I face here (compared to in my home city where ethnic minorities are very common) is absolutely disgusting. I have a lot of international friends as well and they often encounter it too, and though they don't seem to pick up on it it's definitely there. I hate to say it, but it's often usually the stereotypical middle-class white British people who act like that as well.

As the course I'm doing is quite small I don't have many coursemates and I sometimes sit in the computer room on my own between lectures. At least five times in the last semester (when I've been really busy and in there quite a lot) people have passed me and been like "That Asian girl is so weird" or "That girl looks so tired." "Which one?" "Oh... the Asian one." It's absolutely ridiculous. Obviously I appreciate that it's not just white people who are racist but in my case it's always been them. Once I just sat down and started working in the same row as one of the girls whom I'd heard making a comment like that, and she started huffing for ages and glaring in my direction. I did so back but it was just stupid. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way I was acting, it was clearly just because I was "Asian". I often walk through the library past groups of white blonde girls and get dirty looks.

I'm not considered "weird" in any other sense (I have plenty of friends, I dress and act normally like I said, I speak like a normal British person and so on). I feel like people continually ostracise me and put me down just for the fact that I look different.

We have something called a "Spotted" Facebook page where you can send in stuff about people you see around uni and this gets posted anonymously. Usually this is just people trying to hit on each other, but a lot of the time people will send in ridiculous things like "To the Chinese person sitting in the cafe... oh wait, that's all of them" or "To the people (no need to mention of what nationality) who always sound like a flock of birds in the SU cafe" and then people will make casually racist comments.

Why the hell are some white British people (usually southern and affluent ones, though I'm not trying to generalise here) so obnoxious, stuck-up and casually racist? Why do they see Asian people as inferior? How do I deal with people like that when I see them?
    Idiots, plain and utter idiots.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get a grip.. im sure other races would have to deal with much worse than being called "the asian/black/white guy/girl"

ReputationRep:
    Still trying to figure out what University you go to...

ReputationRep:
    How is that racism? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    If someone asked me if I am american, italian, african or anything, I wouldn't give a **** (I'm actually English).

Sorry but asking if you're a certain ethnicity isn't racist. Racism is being nasty about an ethnicity. I swear this is one of those cases where people have taken racism so seriously they think merely saying somebody is black is racist, like merely even mentioning a skin colour or ethnicity is racist.

Tbh, some would say that the fact it offends you so much to be asked if you're/being referred to as Asian suggests you're racist towards Asian people.

ReputationRep:
    Was walking past two girls on campus today minding my own business when I noticed them giving me dirty looks; one of them looked me up and down and said "fake" really loudly to her friend. I was wearing sports clothing and no make-up, and I'm not the type to bother with false eyelashes etc., so no idea why they said that. I quite obviously have my natural skin tone and not a tan... or is my natural skin tone not allowed? Seriously beginning to bug me :K
    What does being "fake" have to do with race at all? Sure they were being rude and *****y, but this hardly sounds like a comment on your race. It sounds like you take every look thrown your way as a comment on your race, people can comment on other things you know. Obviously it's not nice, but you have a chip on your shoulder too.

And actually, if your natural tone is what some girls aim for with, say, fake tan, they could have actually been insinuating that you used it and are in fact of lighter skin tone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenomorph)
    I am British Chinese (full) and I went to a public school; my English is better than most ' European ' Brits.

So as soon I open my mouth, any attempts at casual racism rapidly morphs into bewilderment " Oh where does this guy from, he looks Chinese but speaks posh ( or at least can do) ? ".

What concerns me is the institutional racism at unis: that they actually WANT lots of non fluent English speakers so that they can bully and push them around (lots of examples), and that should be stamped out.
    Well obviously.

What you learn as a first language is what they would learn as a second language, albeit often to a professional standard of proficiency. Even if they are naturalized they are still unlikely to be as proficient as you.

In the same way - even if you become naturalized in Nederland your Dutch is not likely to be as good as someone who is born in the Netherlands.

ReputationRep:

Hi there, I came across this documentary of an experimenter called:
    Jane Elliot - Blue eye/ brown eye exercise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqv9k3jbtYU

The basic message was those people who deny that racism exists are actually perpetuating it e.g. through the casual attitudes. They deny it because they don't know what it feels like and so this experiment is trying to make people understand the feeling of racism.

Those people who deny the racial experiences you go through are denying your experience. This is an experiment you have to follow carefully because it takes some time for the message to click.

How racist are you?

Here is another experiment with a class room of children

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml7eEklNwNE

Front line a Class Divided by Jane Elliot

CNN A look at race relations through a child's eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPVNJgfDwpw

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 221862

If you look at this still image, it's an experiment psychologists use to test for IMPLICIT RACE BIAS.
    The picture is deliberately ambiguous, what happened? A white kid behind a black kid sitting on the floor like he fell. Versus A black kid behind a white kid sitting on the floor. The results of asking what kids guess of what happened was that the majority thought the black kid was culpable of pushing the white kid on the floor than vice versa.

The implicit bias of guilt towards the person is non-white.

This black child could represent any non-white ethnicity, brown, yellow, red, orange.

You can see evidence of implicit bias in mental behaviours of people who you expect to be intelligent enough to discern their own bias but you'd be surprised.

Start with the obvious, blacks and asians being stopped by the police, job applications are more successful with white names than ethnic ones regardless of whether they are british. Crimes and misdomenours are judged more harshly with harsher jail terms.

Stories to do with any country, crimes etc. crimes done, compare that to the comments of the crime done by a white person and you can see the difference in judgement. That's implicit bias, the racial bias makes you judge people harsher because of their ethnicity. But if a white person did the same deed then you'd just say it's psychological problems or an anomaly.

But if it's an ethnic person who does something wrong, then all of a sudden the whole race are just as culpable? How logical is that? You have to compare to define the situation.

So if I don't like being treated in a racist manner I should just leave? :rolleyes: Stupidest post I've read on TSR, not gonna lie...
    Unless you've experienced racism then you wouldn't know what it's like.

(Original post by Melthusa)
    Be careful here to see If this is actually racism: If somebody describes you as Asian they are probably using it as a feature about yourself; you are from Asian descent. Its like somebody saying that blonde person over there, or that tall person, its not saying it as an insult, but an identifying feature.
    It depends, because I've heard conversations where people use ethnicity to imply something, like it connotes something else.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.