Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you proud of where you come from? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I feel happy that I'm returning to Yorkshire for my university studies. I was born there, yet moved around England and spent most of my life in the West Midlands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r2144)
    I live in scunthorpe, and seriously..Skint is just so full of crap :P Most of the stuff in it is fake.. In scunthorpe everyone knows everyone and its nothing like that.. The main family in it are planning on moving out of Scunthorpe because the entire town pretty much hates them for how they have made Scunthorpe look.. Hence the death threats they've gotten.
    I watched it and thought it seemed so biased- they wanted to make it look like a Hell hole. The rough and ready-sounding narrator and his slang didn't help...they obviously chose him on purpose. People's perceptions of Scunthorpe will have likely changed for the worse but it's not really fair! I'm right next to Hull- many think that it's a slum full of chavs and Poundlands but it really isn't! TV can be so one sided.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Tehran, the capital city of Iran. Yes, of course I'm proud of where I come from! #Persian!

ReputationRep:
    Luton: NO, not proud at all.

ReputationRep:
    I will fully admit that Bridgend is a pile of ****, but I have a certain affection for 60's prefab housing estates, a weirdly high suicide rate and the general run down atmosphere because it's where I grew up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darren96)
    Just a general question here, don't really know why im asking it

I'm proud of where I come from but my home-town is basically a sh*t-hole The highest paid job is working at the steelworkers or hospital and these will close it . It's full of chavs and mainly council estates, in fact there is show on tonight in my hometown called Skint on Channel 4 :P

Can't want to leave but proud of where I come from

------
    Realised this is the wrong place could an admin move this to the right place please sorry.
    I come from one of the worst towns in the UK.
    We had this Cambridge uni doctor come in to talk to us about the future and they said it was a priority to give students from state schools in my town and others a place.

ReputationRep:
    Proud to be scottish.. I was born in glasgow but we moved down to london for almost two years and then back up here to the countryside. I like it here but im a bit bored of the countryside so i think i'll move into a city for uni. Not sure where though but i'll still be proud to be from here

ReputationRep:
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    yeah I guess so, I will be sad to leave

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Extremely. Will be terrible to leave for uni.

ReputationRep:
    I had no say on the matter when it came to where my parents decided to conceive me, give birth to me or bring me up. For me, pride has to link in to something you've actually achieved. Being Glaswegian, Liverpudlian, Mancunian or whatever isn't really an achievement - it's just a mere happening. 'I'm proud to be British.' Why? You might as well say you're proud to have green eyes or proud to have been born in the 90s. You might like where you're from and the attachments with it, but territorial/national pride? Not for me. Seems pointless. It's not where you're from, it's where you're at.

ReputationRep:
    Was born in Leeds, wouldn't say I was proud necessarily because I don't remember being there, moved when I was 2, had a good childhood in nice (as in for a family kinda nice) area, but I hate where I live atm and can't wait to move! I'm proud to be British though, but would be the same if I was another nationality

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I like where I live, but why should I be proud of something I have no control over?

ReputationRep:
    Haifa is a very nice place (y)

ReputationRep:
    yes. I love jerk chicken.

ReputationRep:
    UK? yes! My home town? no can't wait to get out of here :L

ReputationRep:
    My home city of Bristol , yes, it's okay, not really sure if I'm proud of it but it's a nice city with a good atmosphere.
    My current home-town of Clevedon (not very far from Bristol in North Somerset) is a bit boring for people my age (16, 17, 18 etc) and I'm looking forward to life in the city of Cardiff when I *hopefully* go to Cardiff University in September I suppose I'm quite proud of Clevedon... we've been in quite a few films/t.v. shows usually because of our famous Victorian Pier (see Broadchurch and Never Let Me Go, for example) We're quite famous for a little town of around 20,000

ReputationRep:
    from newcastle and definitely proud of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AhzhaK)
    Yeah, I think Istanbul beats Newcastle tbh. Alright Newcastle might be cleaner, less crime, less poverty etc. but Istanbul is levels above when it comes to history culture etc.
    Are you serious? Newcastle has incredible amounts of history and culture!

It's the birthplace of the large scale coal mine, the fuel that allowed the industrial revolution to happen. It's the birth place of the locomotive, something that has impacted hugely on modern life. It's the birth place of the life boat. We have swathes of historic listed buildings contrasted against modern artistic buildings and projects designed by famous architects like norman foster.

We do have a lot of council estates though

ReputationRep:
    I'm proud of being from the North East. But I'm no fan of my home town, always wanted to move away so I've decided after Uni I'm Newcastle or Liverpool bound!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.