Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Woman commits suicide blaming government's 'bedroom tax'. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-Andrew)
    People not living in council housing who can no longer pay for their mortgage or rent have to move to a smaller house or in a different location, why should those living in council housing have any different?
    Because I believe people living in private housing, claiming Local Housing Allowance, face no "bedroom tax". Correct me if I'm wrong.

So it isn't fair and balanced.

They were lucky not having to suffer from this issue home owners have to make when their house costs too much and they have to move, now it's simply equal
    And there is often far more private housing than there is social housing, especially as much of the social housing stock has been sold. It's easy to say move to a smaller property, but this isn't always possible.

(Original post by thegodofgod)
    Back on topic, what I don't understand is why she (and other who are against the bedroom tax) was living in such a big house if she couldn't afford it? Why not move to a 1 or 2 bed house, more suitable for her needs, whilst being cheaper?
    Because there is a lack of 1 and 2 bedroom accommodation, both in the private sector and, more relevant to the bedroom "tax", social housing.

There has been a demographic change in Britain with a greater number of single people. However, much of the housing stock, especially older housing stock, is built for couples and families. Council housing has also been sold off from Thatcher onwards which makes the problem even worse.

I can't comment on this case, and it's been alleged that she was offered alternative accommodation six miles away, but this can be some considerable distance for some people. Being six miles away from friends and family can lead to social isolation and mental health problems, keeping in mind that people with chronic medical conditions and disabilities, or who live in areas of limited public transport, can not easily travel back to where the used to live and where family and friends reside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    She had auto-immune deficiency and her doctors had said she was too ill to work. It appears that she did not claim DLA, as it used to be known as.
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    She had Myasthenia Gravis.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...phanie-1883600

Yes, I see now, thanks.

I still don't understand the comment made in the article that as she'd never been "registered disabled", she couldn't claim disability benefits. Probably just poor journalism. Just like calling Samaritans, "The Samaritans".

But that she does have a chronic medical condition which leads to muscle weakeness and disability can help to explain why moving to a property six miles away, presumably away from family and friends, is unsuitable. As mentioned in my last post, to be living away from family and friends in this way can lead to social isolation and mental health problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rarrgh)
    Oh I know that, but the majority of my mom's breakdowns and stuff like that were down to her money issues due to 'needing' to live in a house we didn't need.
    Well you managed to survive so obviously money wasn't a problem. Unless you were eating scraps from dustbins her breakdowns were for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henrypage)
    Please sign the petition calling for IDS to be sacked after Stephanie Botrill's suicide. Please send the petition to your email/social network contact lists.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...n-duncan-smith
    I don't really see how the sole blame off this situation goes on IDS. Yes, his tax idea was ill thought out but suicide is an act committed by people who are extremely depressed and thus not of sound mind. There are many other options than suicide but unfortunately she saw it as her only option - surely you cannot say IDS is responsible for her mental state?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    I think you're placing too much faith in assuming everyone is as rational as you yourself are...People have done more for less, or so I've heard.

But we have to accept that there is always going to be chance that someone may behave irrationally to anything we do, because it's true there is a chance that say if the government announces that it is to leave the EU someone could shoot themselves in protest. This doesn't justify not pushing through such reforms ( if there we to be pushed through).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    She left a suicide note stating explicitly that was the reason she committed suicide. I think she would want her death to raise awareness and as a 'political weapon' so that it wasn't in vain. Wouldn't that be so much worse?
    I do believe her note 'blamed the government.' Plenty of mentally ill people blame a lot of other people and other things for their problems.

For anyone to give any weight to this story is utterly childish.

She was a woman living alone in a 3 bedroom house, subsidised by the tax payer. As others have said, she had the option to move, she could take a lodger, part of her family could move back home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    But we have to accept that there is always going to be chance that someone may behave irrationally to anything we do, because it's true there is a chance that say if the government announces that it is to leave the EU someone could shoot themselves in protest. This doesn't justify not pushing through such reforms ( if there we to be pushed through).
    Sure a few UKIP MEPs might find it a little difficult losing their jobs, but to demean this poor womans situation by comparing it to something so petty really is grotesque in the extreme. She couldn't afford to heat her house, she couldn't afford to live any longer, i doubt she could afford to move house and there was no support available. She was disabled, if she had the strength to go through countless ATOS assessments and appeals she may have been able to have had her house adapted meaning she wouldn't be forced out of her home, but then dealing with ATOS is probably enough to push even the mentally strongest of people over the edge. This isn't just some petty little disagreement with government policy, we are putting our most vulnerable under huge financial strain, then forcing them through more and more stress before they can get the support they need.

Maybe you believe this is unavoidable, maybe you think a few people need to die to sort out our financial mess, that people will die due to government policy is inevitable, if thats what you think it will take then fine say so, but for **** sake get your head out of the sand.

ReputationRep:
    Either she was mental which means the government shouldn't be blamed or she wasn't mental in which case she should have just taken the alternative housing available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seahorseman)
    It is always sad when somebody takes their own life but to blame the government is absurd. More needs to be done to screen people for mental problems.
    Less is being done to screen people for mental problems, mental health funding is seeing huge cuts, who do we blame for that if not government?

ReputationRep:
    Also ending it by walking out in front of a lorry, talk about selfish much? I guess the driver was responsible for her inability to cope too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AeneasBK)
    Either she was mental which means the government shouldn't be blamed
    So government can knowingly push these vulerable people then cut funding for their treatment, and walk away blame free when they start to die?

or she wasn't mental in which case she should have just taken the alternative housing available.
    She was disabled the alternative housing wasn't suitable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Less is being done to screen people for mental problems, mental health funding is seeing huge cuts, who do we blame for that if not government?
    The more we look the more we'll find. Depression is suddenly the most commonly diagnosed 'disease' in Britain. At what point along the line do we say "enough is enough, bad stuff DOES happen, grow some thicker skin and deal with it" instead of hiding behind smoke screens of so-called mental disorder?

ReputationRep:
    Also ending it by walking out in front of a lorry, talk about selfish much? I guess the driver was responsible for her inability to cope too?
    Maybe/hopefully you don't quite grasp what she must have been going through. She was depressed to the point of feeling so desperate she felt suicide was the only escape, people in such a place don't think logically. To jump infront of a lorry indicates that it had likely reached the point of psychosis where nothing but self destruction fills your mind. It is irrelevant to apportion blame to her, she was not acting in a rational or normal manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    So government can knowingly push these vulerable people then cut funding for their treatment, and walk away blame free when they start to die?

She was disabled the alternative housing wasn't suitable.
    There were alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Maybe/hopefully you don't quite grasp what she must have been going through. She was depressed to the point of feeling so desperate she felt suicide was the only escape, people in such a place don't think logically. To jump infront of a lorry indicates that it had likely reached the point of psychosis where nothing but self destruction fills your mind. It is irrelevant to apportion blame to her, she was not acting in a rational or normal manner.
    Its irrelevant to apportion blame to her - she's dead. But mentally unwell or not, there are better ways to commit suicide that don't go about screwing with innocent people.

ReputationRep:
    Its irrelevant to apportion blame to her - she's dead. But mentally unwell or not, there are better ways to commit suicide that don't go about screwing with innocent people.
    people in such a place don't think logically

ReputationRep:
    The more we look the more we'll find. Depression is suddenly the most commonly diagnosed 'disease' in Britain. At what point along the line do we say "enough is enough, bad stuff DOES happen, grow some thicker skin and deal with it" instead of hiding behind smoke screens of so-called mental disorder?
    Fine we don't have the money to keep people suffering mental illness alive any longer, so say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    people in such a place don't think logically
    Great... not sure what the debate is here, you saying its okay for her to be selfish because she wasn't thinking rationally. Have you ever been really pissed? Like, drunk, not angry. I mean you hardly think rationally or logically then does that mean its okay for you to go smashing stuff up?

I wasn't suggesting we don't have the money to deal with mental illness I asked you a question. Where do we draw the line?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    For the sake of those with mental health issues, provided the family permitted it, I wouldn't mind someone using this for the purpose of promoting awareness of depression and suicide.

However, I would not be happy with people using her death as a political weapon against bedroom tax. Not that I involve myself with that aspect of politics, but it would be incredibly inconsiderate to her family to exploit a tragedy to gain political leverage.
    Surely since that is what caused her suicide, her family would be very supportive a campaign to change it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because she was suicidal without the lorry being there, she'd have been hit by something else.

This time it's the policy that has pushed her over the line

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.