Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which team was better? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Thought that Arsenal team was very decent, but nothing exceptional in the grand scheme of things. Yet they finished one point behind the 'best ever EPL team' and did them 3-0 at Highbury? At least Utd 2008, Arsenal 2004 and Chelsea 2005 won their titles convincingly.
    We're not discussing who was the better "EPL" team. Read the thread title.

Surely the best team in the Premier League era is the one that sets the points record?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to create a football manager experiment with the editor and find out in the only way possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

Surely the best team in the Premier League era is the one that sets the points record?
    If not one of those 4 teams, then who? One implies the other.

Its as valid a criteria as any I guess.Chelsea 2005 would certainly run any team close over 90 minutes. Certainly more impressive than Utd 1999 on 79 points.

ReputationRep:
    For me the 08 United had an unbelievable attack, probably the best in Europe at the time. However, Arsenal 04/03 simply oozed in quality, Henry was the best striker in the world at the time. The defence was impeccable. Don't get me started on the midfield it was just :eek:. The only shame was they never managed to win the CL, if they'd of won that then surely they'd be talked about as one of the best teams in history, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Thought that Arsenal team was very decent, but nothing exceptional in the grand scheme of things. Yet they finished one point behind the 'best ever EPL team' and did them 3-0 at Highbury? At least Utd 2008, Arsenal 2004 and Chelsea 2005 won their titles convincingly.
    Usually teams who win the league on a high points total are not competing on more than one other cup front after February time from what I have seen. To be able to play all the CL games and FA Cup games and STILL win the league shows amazing squad depth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Usually teams who win the league on a high points total are not competing on more than one other cup front after February time from what I have seen. To be able to play all the CL games and FA Cup games and STILL win the league shows amazing squad depth.
    Chelsea had the highest points total in 2005, won the carling cup and made it to the Ucl semi final- id say that is amazing squad depth too.

Anyway Uniteds Ucl run wasnt as difficult as one would like to think. The likes of Juve and Inter finished 6th and 8th respectively in their leagues in those periods so they were hardly the very best in Europe.

Secondly back then the quality of teams in the Epl were poorer than those seen in 2004, 2005 and 2008. The fact that United won the title with such a low number of points in my opinion is quite strange and they drew far too many games (13 which is even more than the Invincibles).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

Well yh but shouldnt that also apply to this argument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trrr)
    Well yh but shouldnt that also apply to this argument?
    If you're asking which was the best team in the Premier League era then it's clearly Chelsea 2005 since they were formidable and set the points record.

The best English team in football as a whole is United 1999.

Arsenal 2004 aren't the best of either.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 20, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.