Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    Yeah, French and German are pretty much the only exams I'm feeling relaxed about, although this feeling is still countered by the fact that I'm stressing about my other exams. I think paper 1 went allright; I waffled a bit much and my expression was a bit lacking. I could have got 30-33/50 if I'm lucky.
    As for my essays...I dunno, I just feel they were a bit weak and unsubstantial, y'know? I did my first essay on Romeo and Juliet and talked about how Juliet aptly portrays the nature of heroism, yet the scenes I chose to focus on weren't probably the best and most obvious ones. The quotes I picked weren't exactly "meaty" as well, and I felt that my analysis was tenuous at best. Not to mention my written expression was diabolical. My poetry essay was alright, although I mostly only focused on word choice and imagery, and only tagged on paragraph at the end (to be put after my introduction) about how it was constructed in the form of a dramatic monologue.

To be honest, I would be absolutely ecstatic with AAAAB. Those grades would allow me to apply pretty much anywhere for modern languages - I wouldn't care at all if I got a B for one of either modern studies or English, but I would be devastated if I got 2 Bs. Not that AAABB is bad, but I'd probably have to rethink my uni plans. Cambridge and Durham would be out of the question as they ask for AAAAB at a minimum, UCL asks for a minimum of 3 As at higher and A, A1 at AH, so that could still be a possibility, although the best candidates will probably have like straight As. I
    In Scotland St Andrew's asks for AABB, Glasgow for AAABB (still need to check Edin's requirements) as a minimum. Nevertheless, places like St A's (which is my ideal Scottish uni) are amazing for languages and, again, most applicants will probably have a much stronger academic record. I'd have to write a boss personal statement to get an offer.
    It sucks even more because we've already booked open days for both Cambridge and durham, so it's not as if I can simply forget about it during the summer.
    On the one hand, I am likely over-thinking. One user on this forum (hollieloh, is her name I think) said she thought she'd absolutely failed English yet got an A. Another person who I know (not on TSR) said she genuinely believed she'd failed 3 of her exams last year, yet got 5 As. She said, however, that she was so stressed during the summer, that she would start crying sometimes. I don't want that to happen to me.
    I think it's just hit me that what I've done on these few days could go on to define my life forevermore. I feel a bit melancholy at the moment and am constantly brooding over my life. Perhaps an existential crisis is imminent. There's also the fact that a lot of people from my school are likely to get 5 As, etc. I'd like to aim for a very high score in German and French, but it wouldn't really do much to salvage anything. :s
    I have a real tendency to over-think and I fear that I'll just end up driving myself crazy or into a pit of depression over the summer holidays. :s
    As for French listening, I would just advise you to look over unfamiliar vocab from past listening transcripts, and listening to French radio/tv in addition to past papers as you'll get used to hearing it used naturally and spoken quickly. I'd just recommend trying to listen to as much French as possible, don't worry it's not too late.
    You are not alone Marshmallow. My essays were mediocre- by no means were they written in overly-embellished and sophisticated english. At times I thought I sounded rather clumsy with my wording. But these cases of people doing better than they initially thought kind of gives you more hope right? It certainly is for me .

I really want 5A's as well but Biology was a total disaster for me I think I have got a B at most to be honest. That will leave me at 4 A's and a B which is enough for the unis down South, but as you already stated, they will obviously give preference to those who have 5A's at Higher . I was planning to apply to either Cambridge or Oxford, LSE and UCL but I am not sure anymore. I don't want to go to Edinburgh at all! And I will be a complete wreck if I get less than 4A's and a B.

I was crying about my Biology for a few days (and I never cry, my friends mock me for having practically no emotion) but now I am over it. I just want to concentrate on French and you shouldn't let English or MS get you down for your final two exams. I hate how people tell you it's not "the end" if you don't get the grades you need. It is when you have a future plan and really want to do a certain course at this university.

I am going to dread the wait for my results over Summer. And everyone will be asking how I think I have done because I have multiple work experiences booked. I will be forever thinking about damn Biology. And how I could have done way better if I perhaps worked harder. I am sure your open days will be fun, you will obviously be thinking about your results but I am pretty sure that you will achieve what you need .

Hardly anybody at my school gets 5A's, it is usually between 2-4 people who get A's in all their Highers. It sounds like there will be lots of people applying to Oxbridge where you go! There is perhaps only one person each year that applies for medicine or Oxbridge in the sixth year. That is how bad it is here- high ambitions don't really exist haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoJennyox)
    You are not alone Marshmallow. My essays were mediocre- by no means were they written in overly-embellished and sophisticated english. At times I thought I sounded rather clumsy with my wording. But these cases of people doing better than they initially thought kind of gives you more hope right? It certainly is for me .

I really want 5A's as well but Biology was a total disaster for me I think I have got a B at most to be honest. That will leave me at 4 A's and a B which is enough for the unis down South, but as you already stated, they will obviously give preference to those who have 5A's at Higher . I was planning to apply to either Cambridge or Oxford, LSE and UCL but I am not sure anymore. I don't want to go to Edinburgh at all! And I will be a complete wreck if I get less than 4A's and a B.

I was crying about my Biology for a few days (and I never cry, my friends mock me for having practically no emotion) but now I am over it. I just want to concentrate on French and you shouldn't let English or MS get you down for your final two exams. I hate how people tell you it's not "the end" if you don't get the grades you need. It is when you have a future plan and really want to do a certain course at this university.

I am going to dread the wait for my results over Summer. And everyone will be asking how I think I have done because I have multiple work experiences booked. I will be forever thinking about damn Biology. And how I could have done way better if I perhaps worked harder. I am sure your open days will be fun, you will obviously be thinking about your results but I am pretty sure that you will achieve what you need .

Hardly anybody at my school gets 5A's, it is usually between 2-4 people who get A's in all their Highers. It sounds like there will be lots of people applying to Oxbridge where you go! There is perhaps only one person each year that applies for medicine or Oxbridge in the sixth year. That is how bad it is here- high ambitions don't really exist haha!
    This is off-topic, but I think the French sentence would actually being "Je devrai faire des economies" using the verb devoir, rather than avoir besoin de faire...."
    I mean, I would be happy with either AAAAB or 5 As frankly speaking. With regards to unis like Oxbridge, I know of people who got AAAAB in highers and still got offers from Oxbridge or were interviewed - I think there's even somebody on this forum who got an offer for English from Oxford way back in 2006 with AAABB in highers.
    I understand what you mean; I can empathise with you. Somewhere in the back of my mind I know that this is only a small blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things, but it's very hard to put it into perspective at the moment. Quite a number of people at my school end up with 5 As, but then again it is a very small school. As for Oxbridge, we usually have one successful applicant every 3 to 4 years, although I know that 2 applied this year but none got in. The last person who got in was in 2011 for history at oxford. I'd say that my classmates are probably more inclined towards maths and science - there are more people going off to do STEM degrees than, say, history or languages. Quite a few people do law though.
    Anyway, I promised Bromaldehyde that I would not think about these exams any more, so I shall try to keep my word.

ReputationRep:
    I am sitting higher French on Wednesday and am really unsure on how to study for the exam, can anyone give me some advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah1709)
    I am sitting higher French on Wednesday and am really unsure on how to study for the exam, can anyone give me some advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• Redraft all your writings and make sure you know some of them.
    • Look at DW.
    • Look over your grammar and key vocab. Basically the stuff Marshmallow has been saying .
    • And a few PPs wouldn't hurt!

ReputationRep:
    • Redraft all your writings and make sure you know some of them.
    • Look at DW.
    • Look over your grammar and key vocab. Basically the stuff Marshmallow has been saying .
    • And a few PPs wouldn't hurt!
    Thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah1709)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.higherrevision.com/ These podcasts are quite good

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got any tips to pass Higher French? I'm fine with the reading and translation but struggling with the essays and listening, should I just try and learn phrases I can manipulate to use in most essays or try and learn essays on every topic? Is there any topics people think are likely to come up or practically have no chance of coming up?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what stuff would you recommend to get off iTunes, in terms of French rappers and that ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah can someone give the names of a few good French music artists hehe?

ReputationRep:

(Original post by ChrissyH)
    Guys, what stuff would you recommend to get off iTunes, in terms of French rappers and that ?
    Erm...I know a couple of rappers.

Orelsan - La Terre est Ronde, Double Vie, Mauvaise Idee, are some of his songs.
    Zaho
    Tal
    The last two aren't rappers, but that's all I can think of for know!

ReputationRep:
    Kwal is beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmpeORPkpY0

ReputationRep:
    Erm...I know a couple of rappers.

Orelsan - La Terre est Ronde, Double Vie, Mauvaise Idee, are some of his songs.
    Zaho
    Tal
    The last two aren't rappers, but that's all I can think of for know!
    Merci buckets!

ReputationRep:
    What we wanting for the short essay & directed writing then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please help me find the pre 2007 past papers, the exams in 5 days and I have just begun to study for it.. Merci Beaucoup!

ReputationRep:
    heres a french radio station that i quite like, its called mfm radio http://mfmradio.fr/radio/player/mfm

and i quite like these artists
    Yelle
    coeur de pirate

ReputationRep:
    I've found a whole series of videos on Youtube from a French TV show called "Tellement Vrai".
    It's reality TV about dysfunctional families, but it's so addictive.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edWrFzalSPA
    I'm watching one at the moment called "Mon enfant me pousse à bout."
    Admittedly, this isn't the type of thing I'd normally go for, but if it helps my French then so be it!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got listening transcripts of past listenings I could have? I can't find any...

ReputationRep:
    Except past papers how do I get better at the translations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For those of you looking for past Listening transcripts, there are some here in this PDF. Be aware though that these transcripts are mostly from the 1990s, but they could still be of use in terms of vocabulary and grammar. http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/...cm4-124181.pdf You can also have a look through these Int 2/Higher video transcripts to pick out vocabulary. http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/...cm4-123728.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I've found a whole series of videos on Youtube from a French TV show called "Tellement Vrai".
    It's reality TV about dysfunctional families, but it's so addictive.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edWrFzalSPA
    I'm watching one at the moment called "Mon enfant me pousse à bout."
    Admittedly, this isn't the type of thing I'd normally go for, but if it helps my French then so be it!
    How much of this do you understand?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.