Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where does the law stand if I punch this guy who bullies me in clubs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think I know the kind of behaviour you are talking about but hitting him isn't the answer.

Basically you have let it go on too long and that has made it worse. I think now you need to be very clear in telling him to **** off and get out of your face. Tell him you are sick of his **** and you aren't his friend and he should save that bull**** for them.

The way I see it, it could go a couple of ways:

1. He just totally ignores it and carries on.
    2. He makes snidey comments but stops.
    3. He squares up or even punches you.

If it is 1. I would have a word with the bouncers and tell them that this guy is hassling you and trying to start a fight. Even if you don't know the door team, if they are worth their salt, they are going to have a word with him to try and stop a fight before it begins. Hopefully he would take a telling and piss off - if not, then at least the bouncers will know that he was starting things if anything kicks off. Then, if he tries to lay his hands on you just give him a gentle push or a slap and tell him you aren't messing about. Again it could go either way from here but I suppose there isn't much you can do. If he just squares up to you, just tell him you aren't fighting in the club and just tell the door team that he is after fighting with you.

At the end of the day, you really want to avoid scrapping if you can. The best result would be if the bouncers can sort it out for you because ultimately, that is their job. Whatever happens in a fight situation, you are going to end up looking bad - either he hurts you and then it will be worse afterwards or you hurt him and either get into bother or he will come back and through his weight around even more.

I had a situation like this at school where a couple of older lads were throwing their weight around with me - doing the same kind of stuff, you know, slapping and things like that. I let it slide too long because I didn't want to make a fuss and we had mutual friends but because I had left it so long, I found it impossible to talk them out of it so I just waited until the next time one of them was messing about and I managed to get him on the floor and then regrettably, I gave him a good kicking. He reported it to both the school and later the police. I got suspended from school but luckily, the police didn't follow up on it. The thing was that even though I had been the one to have got pushed around and even though he was older than me - nobody gave a **** afterwards and I was basically the psycho who had given someone a good hiding with little provocation - that is also how you are going to look even if it isn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harambulus)
    dont give me the crap about 'if you want to punch him it makes you as bad as him' this surely comes from someone whos never been bullied. Most likely from girls who never really have a hard time with anything.
    ---
    I notice he doesnt only target me but cos he knows my face now and i havent stood up to him he sees me as some 'easy entertainment'.

I always go to the same clubs weekly and I get to see the same faces.

Unfortunately some get to know me and when these idiots get drunk sometimes theres one or two knowing my face they like to take the piss out of me by touching me and just winding me up.

One guy is particularly bad. Hes only skinny and weak but he likes to give it the 'bigg'un' when hes drunk. I hadnt seen him for ages but unfortunately now its coming summer he seems to be coming out to play more often and he remembers me.

He doesnt usually do anything at the start of the night and later as the night goes on and he gets more drunk he gets more brave.

He does ****ign annoying stuff like hitting me on the head hard- like patting it hard to 'show his dominance'. and otherwise taking liberties.

Last night he was behind me pretending to head butt me to his friend- he thought i didnt see him but i wasnt drunk and he was so it was easy to see what he was up to. I dont care so much if he doesnt touch me he can say what he likes if it doesnt affect me but its the touching and invading my space which really gets to me and ruins my nights out.

Also if im talking to girls he comes and cockblocks me by doing similar stuff to tease me and make me look stupid.

Im not a violent person but i told him to not touch me before and he just ignores it. i also tried 'playing along' and doing one up on him with the touching like the rugby boys do but this only seemed to encourage him.

Cos hes known me for a while now and i havent done anything i think he must see me as a 'soft spot' like the typical bully and they think they have free reign to violate you.

So im thinking the only way might be to give him a quick jab in the face when he's up to his usual antics.

It reminds me of how when i was young i used to bully one of my dogs. I would go close to her face with mine and poke her in the face to make her growl. Id see how close i could get my face to hers to make her growl. Then one day i did that and she snapped and bit me in the nose. After that i realized how mean id been to her and didnt taunt her any more. Im thinking its a similar scenario here.

I havent done it yet cos ive been worried about 1. getting banned form a given club. 2. legal trouble i could get into.

Well as for one he ruins my night whenever i see him out so im getting to not care so much about that if i punched him and he stopped cos i see him out all over the place then if it stopped it would be worth getting thrown out tho i wouldnt wanna get banned from a club id be willing to take the risk. the legal concern is that theres always cameras.

Now i was thinking i see guys having fights every night nearly when im out in clubs and i doubt those go to legal matters- unless its something serious like knifings i imagine the other party doesnt bother to persue it- am i right? usually there are a few punches thrown and they get thrown out and thats the end of that.

Im not talking about dangerous places i go which it would be risky to fight someone. These are student nights. I wanna make clear i really hate fighting and would love to avoid it but this guy really ruins my nights and i know im gonna see him all thru summer now so i dont see what other options i have than teaching him a lesson.

Hes like the infamous les andrews on youtube (look him up if you dont know) has a big mouth but very weak physically. Hes also brave cos he assumes the club is a safe envornment for him to take advantage of ppl wihtout any repercussions. Cos i havent put him in his palce he keeps on and on with his bull**** and it ruins my nights whenever im out.

In terms of the law since hes hitting me on the head i could say that he was assaulting me couldnt i and it was self defense? i doubt it would come to that but just wanna have my bases covered. What are the chances of getting in trouble for it? is it only if he tells the police and wants to press charges? Would they bother to check security tapes of the club for such a small thing. I dont wanna hurt him bad just give him a cpl jabs to teach him a lesson.
    Keep telling him to back the **** up?

Like my step Dad says if you can't get it with sugar you're not going to get it with **** (basically if you can't get him to stop by asking nicely he may not stop when you punch him). Punching him may just give him more of a reason to start being a prick.

If you keep telling him to back up and all else fails, punch him.

ReputationRep:
    living a clean life and and enjoying natural highs is dangerous territory?
    Yeah, you could surely be done for rape?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    Hitting him is a stupid and cowardly thing to do.
    I don't understand how it is cowardly, reckless perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    Yeah, you could surely be done for rape?
    funny i didnt know consensual sex between adults was rape.

me not drinking makes me a social deviant and thus a rapist?

thus your saying im a bad person because i dont drink.

interesting logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    I don't understand how it is cowardly, reckless perhaps.
    Just in the way that he's too afraid to stand up to the guy verbally.
    It sounds like he hasn't made any attempt to tell him to leave him alone, so he's just going to wait until he's drunk and then punch him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    Just in the way that he's too afraid to stand up to the guy verbally.
    It sounds like he hasn't made any attempt to tell him to leave him alone, so he's just going to wait until he's drunk and then punch him.
    Takes more guts to actually fight someone than just to say things to them, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    Takes more guts to actually fight someone than just to say things to them, imo.
    I think the opposite, but that's just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    i say it could be both depending on context.

if youve never had a fight before and been beaten down your whole life it would take more guts to fight.

If you had been a hooligan all your life and had hundreds of fight it would take more to go against the grain and decide not to raise your fists.

I would say then that whichever is least like your normal routine takes more guts.

ReputationRep:
    Just follow him home and kill him.

ReputationRep:
    funny i didnt know consensual sex between adults was rape.

me not drinking makes me a social deviant and thus a rapist?

thus your saying im a bad person because i dont drink.

interesting logic.

I didn't say you were a bad guy at all, actually I don't think all "rapists" are bad people as such. I'm just saying that if you're going out and picking up girls and not drinking yourself you might land in a spot of trouble. I don't have a moral issue at all, I'm of the opinion that if you consent then it's consent, even if you're drunk, but unfortunately the law doesn't agree with me and if you're sober it could get you into bother.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.