Oxford gang found guilty of grooming and sexually exploiting girls Watch

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Umar1)
    Islam allows marriage between two consenting adults.Posted from TSR Mobile
    and a child

ReputationRep:
    Society as a whole, disregarding race or religion, is screwed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyingarmbarman)
    i doubt any culture 'allows' rape. islam does allow sex with minors however
    Pre-maritial sex isn't allowed in Islam. If they're married then it's fine although BOTH have to consent.

ReputationRep:
    When I read the thread title I immediately imagined a gang of posh, geeky Oxford students!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucky260)
    Yes, all the criminals were from one background, as were the victims, but we have to be careful not to make general statements about cultures just because of items in the news. They're in the news because they're unusual. The gang may have all been Muslims but I'm sure there are plenty of Muslims who believe what happened does not match their religious beliefs (like with 9/11) and was entirely grotesque.
    Why do people such as yourself look at these scenario's and talk about Muslims being the victims or potentially being victims of something else :confused: Seriously, can people like yourself have a more pre-conceived idea on discrimination or race relations. Is it because you can't jump on the 'islamophobia' or 'white racist' mob bandwagon? :confused: don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    Pre-maritial sex isn't allowed in Islam. If they're married then it's fine although BOTH have to consent.
    yes and you can 4 wives, minors , if you can convince them

ReputationRep:
    How oh how did i know the men were going to look like that when i opened this thread?

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a crap what they look like, they're cowards who deserve life imprisonment. Sickening.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathhead)
    Just to make an observation, weird how it's the same with stuff like dog-fighting, the culprits are usually Asian or some other ethnic-minority in origin. And before I get negged, I'm not being racist it's just quite a clear thing to see, sick of how over sensitive and politically correct this forum can get. I bet some idiot is going to call me racist for making this observation.
    I agree, its not just this forum, its the whole country, PC gone mad, where its racist to make a truthful observation, surely it can only be racist if you hold/make a prejudiced and misguided view/observation. But this country seems to treat anything said against ethnic minorities as racism, whether its true or not and it does worry me seeing another case like this with many of the perpetrators once again with the same ethnic origin.

Oh and if anyone's wondering, I'm NOT a BNP/EDL supporter or a reader of the DM, I admit like many others, I had my suspicions (and they turned out to be correct), I'm not racist, its just like many others, OTT political correctness in this country annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Are you trying to imply that they did this because they're Muslim?

Yes, these guys may not be White, but I think that the guardian has a good article on it:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ism-takes-root

Of course, it is an absolutely awful thing, but it's also pretty dispicable that you are trying to use these men as something to bash all Pakistanis (and then Muslims) with ie: implying it's part of culture somehow. What do you say about all these white people?

http://edlreview.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Grooming

And what do you say about these people?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12762333

This is also a rather satirical take on affairs:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ty?INTCMP=SRCH

If you think it's somehow part of culture, then what is it about white culture that allows people to get away with rape for years? It's the establishment. It's PC. Yadda, yadda yadda (/sarcasm)

But of course, I guess if it's white people, culture doesn't come in to it (Which of course it doesn't), but if they're not white, suddenly it comes down to "that's their culture" What double standards. What hypocrisy

Read the first line of my post.

I AM NOT REFERRING TO ALL of those of the aforementioned culture.

I'm implying that there has been a divide among st different groups of people resulting in them feel dissociated with each other, thus we see things such as this and civil disturbances/ resentment among-st communities towards each other.

ReputationRep:
    As per usual TSR desperately tries to ignore the fact that men from a specific ethnic and religious background targeted girls from a specific ethnic background. It's fairly well documented that the men in the Rochdale case targeted them because they thought white girls were '****s'.

Multicultural enrichment at its finest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Are you trying to imply that they did this because they're Muslim?

Yes, these guys may not be White, but I think that the guardian has a good article on it:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ism-takes-root

Of course, it is an absolutely awful thing, but it's also pretty dispicable that you are trying to use these men as something to bash all Pakistanis (and then Muslims) with ie: implying it's part of culture somehow. What do you say about all these white people?

http://edlreview.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Grooming

And what do you say about these people?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12762333

This is also a rather satirical take on affairs:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ty?INTCMP=SRCH

If you think it's somehow part of culture, then what is it about white culture that allows people to get away with rape for years? It's the establishment. It's PC. Yadda, yadda yadda (/sarcasm)

But of course, I guess if it's white people, culture doesn't come in to it (Which of course it doesn't), but if they're not white, suddenly it comes down to "that's their culture" What double standards. What hypocrisy
    Your source is from a man who claims Black people cannot be racist, and wrote an article in 2002 claiming all white people are racist.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ntheuk.comment

Who's the hypocrite now..? Plus...I don't see how speaking about racial issues from white peoples point of view for once is 'targetting'. Minorities have had their say on racism for decades. As soon as we want our say on racism toward us, we are targetting everybody? :confused: please..

Maybe he should write articles on why minorities are exempt from being racist in our societies. The 'cultural' term was installed because they were targeting white girls ONLY & They were nearly all from ONE culture entirely...Pakistan.

A White journalist couldn't write a news story calling all Muslims terrorists could he..like Joseph Harker did in 2002. What hypocrisy. What double standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    Why do they have to be brown. For goodness sake. Life is hard enough being a brownie.
    this ffs...

*sees thread*
    *sees pics of brown people*
    inb4 people make stupid comments about names (yes they are stupid, bet no one can guess my step brothers name even after i say hes brown)...
    inb4 dopey muslim comments and stupid attempt to look cool by saying "religion of peace"
    etc

any attempt to show the dumbasses in here who instantly think brown people are pedos or the like, that that is a stupid generalization, will be unravelled the second another thread like this occurs, and the whole process has to start again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    When I click on these types of articles I think, "Please don't be Muslim, please don't be Muslim, please don't be Muslim". I see the pictures and they're brown so I think, "Okay, so they're brown, there's still a chance they're not Muslim. Not all brown people are Muslim!" And then I read the names:
    - Kamar Jamil
    - Akhtar Dogar
    - Anjum Dogar
    - Assad Hussain
    - Mohammed Karrar
    - Bassam Karrar
    - Zeeshan Ahmed
    - Mohammed Hussain

Yeah. They're Muslim.
    It makes me feel so angry. These are the types of people which feed the critics. Why do so many of the rapists have to be Muslim? It's pretty ironic since Islam doesn't allow you to rape and yet here they are raping anything that moves.
    I think that's a pretty flawed methodology. A name doesn't dictate what religion you are, unless the religion enforces that a certain name or initial is required. Islam doesn't require a certain name to be used (it just can't be something that has a negative definition).

So, although a name can be indicative due to a cultural familiarity, it's not conclusive.

ps. The critic will always be critical, regardless of what you do or say (especially in regards to Islam).

ReputationRep:
    How many Muslim rape gangs is that in the last year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Mudaari)
    I think that's a pretty flawed methodology. A name doesn't dictate what religion you are, unless the religion enforces that a certain name or initial is required. Islam doesn't require a certain name to be used (it just can't be something that has a negative definition).

So, although a name can be indicative due to a cultural familiarity, it's not conclusive.

ps. The critic will always be critical, regardless of what you do or say (especially in regards to Islam).
    Many people around the world understand the concept that there is no religious backing of their actions. Its just a select few who enjoy saying things like "Muslims are pedos" When reading this on a English newspaper website, they were all saying something along the lines of the death penalty. In that regard they are agreeing with the islamic ruling.

But we should not let this thread turn into a religious debate, the main thing is that these men will not be able to rape girls again. My heart goes out to the victims and the victims parents. It must be such a hard time for them. At least justice has been done (to a certain extent). With the Legal system, these guys will be walking on the street in less the 7-8 years. Thats about the time i expect my kids to be around. Scary Thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyingarmbarman)
    actually bbc say they were not all asian, two were noth african (which is a differnt continent btw) they all were muslim however, so that would be a more accurate collective description
    Now that is interesting. Religion not culture being a factor in this vileness. As most people on here always say 'what has their religion got to do with it? We just know their race!'.

ReputationRep:
    Sick. Send them to mars. I heard they were looking for volunteers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    If in a Muslim country a bunch of foreign Christian men had specifically been targeting native, non-Christian girls, then yes, it would be relevant to describe them as Christian
    Would you call them Christians just because their names are James, Michael..etc?
    All we know about these people is their names, we don't know if they are believing and practicing Muslims. Or if their actions was motivated by Islam (I doubt it). Lets just call them for what they are savages not Muslims.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.