Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you are English, do you support Scottish independence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and then I would move to Scotland, and abandon this sinking ship with the Tories at the helm. I have a feeling the net migration would be into Scotland not out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bleepmedoodah)
    Yes, and then I would move to Scotland, and abandon this sinking ship with the Tories at the helm. I have a feeling the net migration would be into Scotland not out.

Dont bet on it. This was labours fault. The torys are just having to pick up the mess that was left behind.

ReputationRep:
    Nope and I hope President Salmond is booted out of office when Scotland votes to remain in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Nope and I hope President Salmond is booted out of office when Scotland votes to remain in the UK

He's convientaly got his deputy Nicola sturgeon to deliver all the bad news and lies.

Apparently we're not treated as equally as you English.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/...qual-1-2927198

Once again they appear to have forgotten about the welsh and the northern Irish in this.

ReputationRep:
    A recent study found 9/10 Scots are reliant on the state.
    25% of Scots work in the public sector.

Nope, I wouldn't have a care in the world if they left. I'd find it quite amusing to watch them crash, burn, and ask to come back. And then I would vote no...

Also to the person which said we are a sinking ship, they should see what Scotland would be - that Nation which has absolute dependence on EU funding and UK taxes to sustain itself. Salmond talks of a Scottish Norway-esque economy, the only awkward truth is that the Norweigans and indeed Scandanavians as a race are intelligent, whereas us Brits aren't, on the whole (obviously a gross generalisation, but pretty much true). Oh that and obviously the fact that you would need a Visa as they wouldn't automatically be a member of the EU like Salmond thought - that an is literally inept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christanmu)
    A recent study found 9/10 Scots are reliant on the state.
    25% of Scots work in the public sector.

Nope, I wouldn't have a care in the world if they left. I'd find it quite amusing to watch them crash, burn, and ask to come back. And then I would vote no...

Also to the person which said we are a sinking ship, they should see what Scotland would be - that Nation which has absolute dependence on EU funding and UK taxes to sustain itself. Salmond talks of a Scottish Norway-esque economy, the only awkward truth is that the Norweigans and indeed Scandanavians as a race are intelligent, whereas us Brits aren't, on the whole (obviously a gross generalisation, but pretty much true).

whats the numbers for other areas if the Uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    whats the numbers for other areas if the Uk
    I can't decide if you're being facetious, but I will ride with it.

It's 25% Wales and 36% in NI and 20% in England.
    Yet Scotland has a higher population than Wales and NI put together and England isn't calling for independence from itself.

ReputationRep:
    Because everywhere in the UK there's a small minority that don't feel like everybody else and like to build on differences and not common ground.

We have our small minority who support separation. The SNP have a majority government, but never underestimate the xenophobic nature of many of the SNP's hardcore supporters. They just hate the English.

The SNP are playing with identity politics and nationalism. Those two normally end up in tears.
    MatureStudent36 are you English?

If not, can you read? Can you understand simple English?

This thread says:

"If you are English, do you support Scottish independence?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths Tutor)

This thread says:

I'll keep out then. But when people make incorrect statements I'll butt in

ReputationRep:
    Relating back to the original point, I personally do not believe in the concept of Scottish independence for two main reasons, Firstly the whole idea is futile because Scotland is in no way capable of supporting itself financially and secondly I feel a deep level of anger towards the SNP because of their complete ignorance and underhand tactics. Salmond is planning to extend the franchise to impressionable 16 year olds, allowing them to vote in the referendum, clearly a bid to secure more votes from the idealistic youth.

Scotland needs to brought back into line, firstly by disolving their parliament followed swiftly by Wales' too. These can not be considered seperate countries within the Union (N.I. requires it's own parliament as the situation calls for it's existance) the UK is considered a country on an international level.

ReputationRep:
    I much prefer Scotland being in the UK. However, it is Scotland's right to self-determination and I hope the referendum will finalise our arrangements. That said, I'd prefer Scotland to stay in the union as to England not becoming a single Conservative-UKIP government for the rest of history.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't blame them for it that's for sure, any chance to not be run by that tosser Cameron and his Tory scum party sounds good to me.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's not in there best interests, but I support there right to do it, absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    I don't support it.

I can understand their argument that they end up with a government they didn't vote for, the same could be said for massive numbers of people in England though.

That is the nature of politics, it could be argued people in wales and scotland are better represented than the north of england as it currently stands. In the event of Independence some people in scotland will still be governed by parties they didn't vote for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    The South of England put up with it for many years with a Labour government. And unlike Scotland, it doesn't have it's own government.
    Most seats in London were/are Labour. It's mainly in the rural areas such as Hampshire, Berkshire, Surrey, etc. that are Conservative seats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wortandbeer)
    Most seats in London were/are Labour. It's mainly in the rural areas such as Hampshire, Berkshire, Surrey, etc. that are Conservative seats.
    I think the point Psyk is trying to make us that sometimes in a democracy there's a risk that you don't always get what you want.

I think last year there was a debate in Edinburgh with Malcolm rifkind and other politicians. The SNP guy as playing to the predominantly labour crowd arguing that they hadn't voted for the Tories. Somebody shouted out from the audience that the south east hasn't voted for labour but was stuck with a labour government for 13 years.

ReputationRep:
    I want Scotland to stay part of the UK, but I want this devolution situation reversed. It's silly that Scotland has a parliament with hardly any power and an allowance that allows Scottish people to have preferential treatment (e.g. tuition fees, prescriptions, eye-care). I'ts patronising and unfair; it's a relic of Labour's pandering to Scottish nationalist sentiment because they rely on Scotland so heavily.

The referendum should be a choice between being a proper part of the UK or being independent. This is the referendum that should have happened instead of devolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths Tutor)

This thread says:

I'll keep out then. But when people make incorrect statements I'll butt in

I think the point Psyk is trying to make us that sometimes in a democracy there's a risk that you don't always get what you want.

I think last year there was a debate in Edinburgh with Malcolm rifkind and other politicians. The SNP guy as playing to the predominantly labour crowd arguing that they hadn't voted for the Tories. Somebody shouted out from the audience that the south east hasn't voted for labour but was stuck with a labour government for 13 years.

So you couldn't resist butting in with your usual nonsense.

Why don't you let others make their own points without trying to read their minds?

Surely it can't be that difficult to get into your brain that this thread is about:

"If you are English, do you support Scottish independence?"?

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Englishman who's lived in Scotland for 4 of the last 5 years, and will be for another 3 and a bit if I accept the PhD I've been offered. It's a tough call, but ultimately when the world is going through extremely uncertain economic times, I don't think it's the time to be breaking unions when we need to be focussing on the opposite.

So, I'll be voting 'No' next year, if I'm still living here.

ReputationRep:
    It's also a major misconception that everywhere in the South East is a Tory stronghold-there are lots of deprived areas of London which are safe Labour seats, the more liberal electorate in Brighton, and working class communities across Kent in the Medway towns. My own constituency in Coventry has been Labour held since before I was born-don't judge us all on what a country chum from Surrey votes for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.