Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Getting charged £260 to replace a door that is barely broken... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Labour (2 men for an hour + callout costs). Materials (i.e. a new door). Paint. Administration costs (you may have to pay a fee because you damaged the door yourself - comprised of the agent's time and labour + a penalty charge), VAT. It adds up.

Why would the landlord want to do half a job when it's not their fault that you vandalised their property. It's reasonable to want a replacement and not a smoothing over of the holes.

No, the deposit is there for other purposes (i.e. to secure the tenancy and to encourage you to leave the property in as good a condition as you received it in), It is not there as a slush fund to repair things during the tenancy.
    Trust me, it does not take two men, a new door or any sort of agent fees to sort out a few knife marks in a door. This sort of job should cost no more than a bullseye at worst, anything more then they're taking the michael. My advice to the OP would be to contract the job out to a third party and tell these guys to suck it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Trust me, it does not take two men, a new door or any sort of agent fees to sort out a few knife marks in a door. This sort of job should cost no more than a bullseye at worst, anything more then they're taking the michael. My advice to the OP would be to contract the job out to a third party and tell these guys to suck it.
    My moms boyfriend has been a joiner by trade for 35 years and specialized in doors for the past 10-12, I'll get him to give me a quote compared to theirs and if they insist in charging me i'll let them take me to court and happily spend that £260 on getting them shut down.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you know there is a ******* fee added on. You may not likes getting charged more then you should but you will learn... I hope

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rarrgh)
    The fire door in question is the exact same as every door in the building, I found the same door on wickes website for £30. And I know they do that, and I wouldn't care so much if they weren't asking for me to pay for it in 15 days when I have -£1548 to my name, with no job and no possible money coming from my family.

Also they wouldn't have found out until the deposit inspection if it weren't for my ******* of a flatmate so why they make me pay for it now is what I don't get mainly, they won't replace it til they've done the deposit inspections so the money could just come out of my deposit then instead of trying to financially cripple me now.
    ..Probably cause you were chucking knives about their flat...

ReputationRep:
    My moms boyfriend has been a joiner by trade for 35 years and specialized in doors for the past 10-12, I'll get him to give me a quote compared to theirs and if they insist in charging me i'll let them take me to court and happily spend that £260 on getting them shut down.
    Getting who shut down? The court would, at most, say how much you actually need to pay them. They wouldn't close a company down for over charging for a single door. Furthermore, you'd have court fees and lawyers fees to pay - which would be orders more than the cost of the door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by odkfn)
    Getting who shut down? The court would, at most, say how much you actually need to pay them. They wouldn't close a company down for over charging for a single door. Furthermore, you'd have court fees and lawyers fees to pay - which would be orders more than the cost of the door.
    Only lawyers fees if you get them involved(and most of the time you dont) and court fees may not be that high for a small amount i.e small claims court.

ReputationRep:
    Minor dents, which are barely visible from more than 10ft away if that. Has no lock and none of the components apart from the wood is damaged. The handle hinges and special hinge at the top could be reused as it is a bog standard door not even solid it is hollow. So how they only pay £200 and I pay £260 when I have caused alot less damage and the components which make the door apart from the wood itself are all fine and no keys needed is absurd.
    I would simply put it down to labour, material and administration costs + VAT. it does all add up.
    I understand that in your case, its not the worse damage that could have been done, but letting agencies are pretty harsh.

I recently left a 1 bedroom flat where me and 2 other people spent a few hours cleaning it thoroughly and I got charged £35 so that someone could clear a few CRUMBS in one of the drawers! No Exaggeration.. they were pretty ridicolous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    A fire door made of wood. Here are some other inventions that were equally useful:

Pedal powered wheel chair
    Solar powered flash light
    Glass hammer
    Invisible solar panel
    The government
    Hi vis camouflage
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_door

Also hunters use hi vis camouflage when the animals they are hunting are colourblind but the other hunters shooting at stuff are not.

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention solar powered flash lights are very useful in areas with limited or erratic power supply. You are aware that they simply store the energy generated in batteries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BANS2012)
    I would simply put it down to labour, material and administration costs + VAT. it does all add up.
    I understand that in your case, its not the worse damage that could have been done, but letting agencies are pretty harsh.

I recently left a 1 bedroom flat where me and 2 other people spent a few hours cleaning it thoroughly and I got charged £35 so that someone could clear a few CRUMBS in one of the drawers! No Exaggeration.. they were pretty ridicolous.
    Same thing happened to me, but it was £80 for "6 hours work", they showed a few crumbs in a drawer, a piece of bubble wrap and 2 menus that fell down the back of wardrobe and mould in the freezer that THEY turned off as no one was moving in for a month.

And my last LL where I moved 2 and a half months ago has kept my £400 deposit and threatened that if I try and take him to court he will countersue as it costs 3x the amount and he is letting me off easy, I spent 10 days cleaning and got my neighbour who is a cleaner for a living to back me up and say it was spotless yet LL claims it was filthy dirty and untouched to the point where I opened the fridge there was a handprint therefore the whole fridge was dirty(despite it shining!!) and me moving all furniture, even wardrobes and hoovering and dusting and standing on chairs dusting and hoovering above door frames, wardrobes, windowsills etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well, when I was drunk got in and thought that throwing knives would be a good idea (definitely not).
    I stopped reading here.
    Based on this alone I can confirm that this is entirely your fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.crabs)
    I stopped reading here.
    Never denied that it was my fault. I claimed full responsibility and that is not my issue with what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    I stopped reading here.
    I hope this totally unhelpful post made you feel big and clever. Cretin.

ReputationRep:
    My point is that at this stage there is no cause for argument. Saying that a door is barely broken after a drunken stabbing is wrong. Imagine how you would feel if it was your door. On a night out with the hinges, minding its own business and finding itself in the middle of a full on, unprovoked act of drunken violence ending with little more than 9 inches standing between itself and its aggressor to end it.

I wonder though, why not throw the knives at your own door? Wouldn't that be an altogether better course of action given that you probably wouldn't piss anyone off but yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    I hope this totally unhelpful post made you feel big and clever. Cretin.
    Why yes. Yes it did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My point is that at this stage there is no cause for argument. Saying that a door is barely broken after a drunken stabbing is wrong. Imagine how you would feel if it was your door. On a night out with the hinges, minding its own business and finding itself in the middle of a full on, unprovoked act of drunken violence ending with little more than 9 inches standing between itself and its aggressor to end it.

I wonder though, why not throw the knives at your own door? Wouldn't that be an altogether better course of action given that you probably wouldn't piss anyone off but yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you read more than you claimed.

Of course there is reason for argument. The guy is totally accepting that it was a stupid thing to do and that damage has been done, but the damage should not cost £260 to fix.

While I can't speak for the OP, I suspect he didn't throw knives at his own door because most people don't take their own doors to university halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Same thing happened to me, but it was £80 for "6 hours work", they showed a few crumbs in a drawer, a piece of bubble wrap and 2 menus that fell down the back of wardrobe and mould in the freezer that THEY turned off as no one was moving in for a month.

And my last LL where I moved 2 and a half months ago has kept my £400 deposit and threatened that if I try and take him to court he will countersue as it costs 3x the amount and he is letting me off easy, I spent 10 days cleaning and got my neighbour who is a cleaner for a living to back me up and say it was spotless yet LL claims it was filthy dirty and untouched to the point where I opened the fridge there was a handprint therefore the whole fridge was dirty(despite it shining!!) and me moving all furniture, even wardrobes and hoovering and dusting and standing on chairs dusting and hoovering above door frames, wardrobes, windowsills etc.
    It is crazy isn't it! What are they using sponges made of truffle and Gold plated vacuum cleaners!
    Strangely though.. I have always been interested in becoming an Estate agent/lettings agent and have currently been looking at vacancies, I should probably re think my career path if this is how they do business

(Original post by Matt85259)
    Not to mention solar powered flash lights are very useful in areas with limited or erratic power supply. You are aware that they simply store the energy generated in batteries?
    Wasnt really meant to be taken literally.

ReputationRep:
    Be throwing knives at the door when they come in asking for the money?

ReputationRep:
    Well, when I was drunk got in and thought that throwing knives would be a good idea (definitely not).
    So threw some knives and there was a few holes and minor dents in the door. My flat mate went and told the people who look over the property (private student accommodation).
    Well we got inspected and then later I received and email, it stated that I would have to pay them £260 just to fix the door. It was a bog standard fire door, none of the actual components where damaged, just a few holes in the door. I checked online and the door would cost at best £70 and my mums boyfriend who has been a joiner for 35 years and specialized in doors the last 10 would be able to fit the thing in no more than 2 hours.
    So what I can't understand is;
    A. How it could possibly cost that much to replace the door (not even hinges or the special fire door thing that makes it close slowly) literally just the wooden part.
    B. You could plaster over, sand and paint it for no more than £30 so why are they insisting that I pay to replace it.
    C. I paid a £360 deposit and now they are requesting me to pay them £260 that I do not have (I literally can barely afford to pay rent), why can't they use the deposit, that's what is there for right?
    I have exams and i'm barely able to sleep because I can't do anything about this. My mum can barely afford to pay it and I don't want to cause her any trouble either.
    You're paying for labour as well as parts. You'll also be paying VAT on the other costs.

Answer to B... because it would not be an effective fire door if you did a repair like that

Answer to C... they will hold on to the deposit in case you do something else stupid before you move out.

Your best course is to get a written quote from your mum's boyfriend, including a breakdown of the costs (zero for labour, presumably), a list of the materials (eg, what make/specification of door), and a commitment to do it by a certain date, then show it to the landlord.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.