Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    I see, so even if I didn't mention it at all you could still get 40/40?
    Do you know the format for part a

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for unit2 - british political history??? My guesses either chadwick, poor relief or cholera.

For you 20 and 40 mark do the essays have to be balanced, because I find it hard to balance it as 2 sources agree and 1 disagrees or vice versa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizy)
    im doing Crown, authority, religion
    did anyone do edexcel option F on tuesday??
    I did option F, and I'm doing Crown, Authority, Religion (Henry VIII)
    Which ones in Option F did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A193)
    Any predictions for unit2 - british political history??? My guesses either chadwick, poor relief or cholera.

For you 20 and 40 mark do the essays have to be balanced, because I find it hard to balance it as 2 sources agree and 1 disagrees or vice versa
    I haven't predicted much yet, but my teacher said she predicts that one of the questions will be on the later reform acts, and i can't remember what she predicted for the other one... I will have to get back to you on that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slothcalledsid)
    Anyone doing British Political History?
    I AM!! and im bricking it :/

ReputationRep:
    For those taking the exam relating to the Crimea, Boer and WWI, here is the past exam topics. It may give some indication to what will come up:

Name:  Warfare past paper Qs.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  111.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing consensus and conflict? E.g 1945-1990?

Any predictions, I'm thinking Attlee or Thatcher and Heath ... But I'm not sure :/

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here doing British political history 19th century.... The reform bills and chartists??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the changing position of women 1860-1930?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the changing position of women 1860-1930?
    Yeah I am, why??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catherine95)
    Yeah I am, why??
    Got any tips for manipulating the sources, I lost marks and only managed to get a C before for often being a bit descriptive and my writing generally lacked clarity, if your feeling confident about this, do you have any tips. For question b) sometimes the I go on own-knowledge tangents (especially on education exam questions) which aren't necessarily inferred by the sources. Really would like a B/A in this one since HY1 went well

ReputationRep:
    Got any tips for manipulating the sources, I lost marks and only managed to get a C before for often being a bit descriptive and my writing generally lacked clarity, if your feeling confident about this, do you have any tips. For question b) sometimes the I go on own-knowledge tangents (especially on education exam questions) which aren't necessarily inferred by the sources. Really would like a B/A in this one since HY1 went well
    Well this is my first time taking the exam but I've been getting steady A's throughout the year so I'll just tell you my essay techniques:

For the first question (sources only) I have found that the best way to do it is to start with one source and say how it supports the question but do not describe the source! Just pick out key bits and explain how and why they support it. Then cross reference it with another source (either agreeing or disagreeing) and do the same thing with that source, and then evaluate the sources by looking at their provenance. (Evaluation is key to an A, you can't get one without it!) Basically examiners apparently love it when you refer to the 'weight' of the source. After that, link in the final source by cross referencing and evaluation and then come to a solid conclusion.

For the second questions basically do as above but with support of your own knowledge in the first half/two thirds of the essay (just link in any Acts or key figures that are relevant to show you know what you're talking about). Then in the last part of the essay it is completely fine not to refer to the sources and just use your own knowledge as long as it's relevant! I find the best way to keep it relevant is to give a linking sentence at the end of each sentence. For example, if the question is 'Do you agree with the view that women's war work was the main reason that women got vote?' you would add at the end of every paragraph/point something like 'therefore this shows that women's war work was/wasn't the main reason as to why women got the vote'.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful! If you want more specific help to particular topics just ask because it's good revision for me too

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I meant linking sentence at the end of each **paragraph

ReputationRep:
    Well this is my first time taking the exam but I've been getting steady A's throughout the year so I'll just tell you my essay techniques:

For the first question (sources only) I have found that the best way to do it is to start with one source and say how it supports the question but do not describe the source! Just pick out key bits and explain how and why they support it. Then cross reference it with another source (either agreeing or disagreeing) and do the same thing with that source, and then evaluate the sources by looking at their provenance. (Evaluation is key to an A, you can't get one without it!) Basically examiners apparently love it when you refer to the 'weight' of the source. After that, link in the final source by cross referencing and evaluation and then come to a solid conclusion.

For the second questions basically do as above but with support of your own knowledge in the first half/two thirds of the essay (just link in any Acts or key figures that are relevant to show you know what you're talking about). Then in the last part of the essay it is completely fine not to refer to the sources and just use your own knowledge as long as it's relevant! I find the best way to keep it relevant is to give a linking sentence at the end of each sentence. For example, if the question is 'Do you agree with the view that women's war work was the main reason that women got vote?' you would add at the end of every paragraph/point something like 'therefore this shows that women's war work was/wasn't the main reason as to why women got the vote'.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful! If you want more specific help to particular topics just ask because it's good revision for me too
    Ah thanks a bunch for the guidance, I am about to answer a question on education now and I will ensure I constantly refer back to the question. One thing is though nobody marks my paper because my teachers are all incredibly lazy with resits, so I really don't know how I'm doing, say if I did this question, then quoted you later to see what you thought of it? You sound like you will definitely get an A .

I was getting A's all the time running up to January but on the exam day I paniced and all my other exams have made me leave revision up to here basically :P So any more help later on is helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks a bunch for the guidance, I am about to answer a question on education now and I will ensure I constantly refer back to the question. One thing is though nobody marks my paper because my teachers are all incredibly lazy with resits, so I really don't know how I'm doing, say if I did this question, then quoted you later to see what you thought of it? You sound like you will definitely get an A .

I was getting A's all the time running up to January but on the exam day I paniced and all my other exams have made me leave revision up to here basically :P So any more help later on is helpful!
    Yeah, sounds like a great idea because that will help me revise as well!
    Hmmm I don't know, as you say it can all just leave your head when you get into the actual exam! Plus I don't think I did very well on Unit 1 on Russia:/

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with the medical and surgical development? cant find anything on blood transfusions, brain surgery, skin grafting etc...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sounds like a great idea because that will help me revise as well!
    Hmmm I don't know, as you say it can all just leave your head when you get into the actual exam! Plus I don't think I did very well on Unit 1 on Russia:/
    Great . Nah my knowledge was solid because I have a billion flashcards full of information (can't wait to drop history after exams). With Russia and Civil Rights on tuesday the knowledge just came flowing through so fast it was unbelievable, I think I was only stumped on one point where on my stronger argument I ran out of things to say about Russia's industry and agriculture, so then I put an evaluative paragraph that due to Russia not broadening its horizons to capital/ enterprise there was no transformation. It seems you've got unit 2 set though, so ace this and that should balance the marks

ReputationRep:

I was told to not isolate own knowledge, but to completely integrate with the rest of the essay. You shouldn't be designating a section of Part B essay to own knowledge.

(Original post by matt-121)
    Can anyone help me with the medical and surgical development? cant find anything on blood transfusions, brain surgery, skin grafting etc...
    Medical provision
    A)Organised by Royal Army Medical Corps.

B)Generally good

C)1 hospital ship and 1 hospital train to each division

D)Ambulances, field dressing stations and hospitals quickly established

E)Shortage of doctors a problem, but volunteers from the US deployed

F)1918, 23K nurses employed

G)Nurses supplemented by VAD

H)Morphine more available

I)Typhoid and dysentery less common

J)Inoculation against typhoid and improved hygiene reduced disease to 2% of in Boer conflict

K)First time more soldiers died from battle wounds than disease: 740K to 84K

Infection
    A)Lack of antibiotics = wounds went septic

B)Gangrene big killer

C)Metal remained in body sometimes created septicaemia

Injury
    A)41,000 amputations

B)272,000 additional injuries to arms or legs

C)60,500 wounds to head or eyes

D)89,000 other serious wounds to body

Medical developments
    A)Psychiatry and “shell shock” or neurasthenia
    a.First war which recognised psychological impacts

b.Shell shock recognised from 1915

c.Mental Health Bill 1915 provided treatment of mental disorder due to war

d.First believed to be a physiological reaction to shells going off

e.But recognised as a psychological ware

f.80K cases of shell shock diagnosed by end of war

B)Blood transfusions
    a.Developed in field hospitals

b.Most suffered from major haemorrhages and died as new treatment

C)Skin grafts
    a.Harold Gilles developed use of plastic surgery to treat soldiers with skin transplants

b.One of the first surgeons to consider appearance of soldier

D)Brain surgery
    a.Enhanced survival rates for war

E)Prosthetics and orthopaedics
    a.Artificial limbs improved due to high number of amputations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Faust)
    I was told to not isolate own knowledge, but to completely integrate with the rest of the essay. You shouldn't be designating a section of Part B essay to own knowledge.
    No, I was definitely told it is fine to write whole paragraphs purely on own relevant knowledge. What you shouldn't do in part b) is to write an isolated paragraph on a source without using any own knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    No, I was definitely told it is fine to write whole paragraphs purely on own relevant knowledge. What you shouldn't do in part b) is to write an isolated paragraph on a source without using any own knowledge.
    One last question before I start this essay, you see for the weaker argument (i.e. the one I chose the disagree with)

If I have a point such as source 14 says ''They sent a first wave of women into higher education'' then I say. Indeed the changes in education did, in 1853 Queen's College became the first girls school to be granted a royal charter for the furtherance of women's education. Although a massive achievement as the doors to higher education were opening, the scope at which higher education was achieved was limited, Top institutes such as Oxford and Cambridge did not fully admit women until 1920 and 1947, and so there was a limited improvement in the opportunities of women in the second half of the nineteenth century''.

Is it good to undermine it with however or the scope was fairly limited etc to build up my stronger argument?

Would that be good evaluation/analysis with my own knowledge do you reckon?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.