Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Age of consent for sex should be 13, says barrister Watch

ReputationRep:
    If anything I think the age of consent should be raised, after all there are 16 and 17 year olds who are sexually or mentally immature and are vulnerable to sexual predators. However due to their age it is 'legal' for a far older adult to groom them etc.
    Obviously people under the age of consent do, and always will, engage in sexual activities if they wish as the age of consent isn't very policeable.
    The only real use of this law isn't to prevent young, mature people from engaging in sexual activities if they wish, this goes on regardless, it's to make it simpler to police and convict people who sexually abuse young, immature people.
    That's my opinion anyway!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Katie_p)
    I think her attitude and reasoning is appalling.

However, I think 16 is a little old, since many people are emotionally ready to have sex before this. I think 14, with an additional rule (although perhaps only prosecution guideline rather than statutory law) that until both parties are over 16, there cannot be an age difference of more than 2 years between the parties.
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    In Spain it's legal but it's illegal for anyone over a certain age to get with these children. For example a 13 year old can get with a 13 year old and so on. Would you agree with these terms? But then wouldn't that cause pregnancies? Considering how immature children actually are? Even then, if people want to have sex, they will do. Laws won't stop them. Personally, I don't agree with it... The idea my little sister at the age of 13 being allowed to make babies kinda disgusts me.
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Afaik, 12-15 year olds having consensual sex is still technically against the law, but it's not really enforced.

But the point of age of consent laws isn't really to prosecute minors who have sex, but to prosecute adults who have sex with minors.

I think a good solution would be what Canada have; if you're 12 you can have sex with a partner aged 12-14, if you're 14 you can have sex with a partner aged 12-18, and when you're 16 you can have sex with any partner over the age of consent.
    I'd like to say that i see the logic to your ideas but it is utterly a poor and pointless idea which is very hard to enforce (Canada is amending it's laws infact i believe). For example right now in the UK the number of prosecutions for sex with a minor when you are in your high teens is still extremely low (at 14/15 a girl can generally have sex with whoever she wants and her partner won't be prosecuted unless the parents really push it) and what your suggesting really would not be enforced. Additionally we already certain coercion laws like being in a position of power or working in a school which impose restrictions on the adult.

Personally i think anywhere between 14-16 is the right limit and that the rules should be the same as now. If your going to grant a 14 year old sexual liberty you should not be half assed about it.

(Original post by G8D)
    Isn't there already a crossover point where 13-16 (?) year olds can have sex without breaking the law? The idea of a 13 year old being legally allowed to bed someone of considerably higher age doesn't sit right with me. I'm not even sure 16 is the best idea.

However everyone knows that the law surrounding sexual intercourse is much less relevant to sexual conduct than, say, education and upbringing.
    It just downgrades the crime. At 12 it is rape, at 13 it is underage sex. Beyond the 13 point it gets complicated because despite being underage sex most teenagers (above and below the legal age of 16) won't be prosecuted unless the parents really push it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watchmaker)
    If anything I think the age of consent should be raised, after all there are 16 and 17 year olds who are sexually or mentally immature and are vulnerable to sexual predators. However due to their age it is 'legal' for a far older adult to groom them etc.
    Obviously people under the age of consent do, and always will, engage in sexual activities if they wish as the age of consent isn't very policeable.
    The only real use of this law isn't to prevent young, mature people from engaging in sexual activities if they wish, this goes on regardless, it's to make it simpler to police and convict people who sexually abuse young, immature people.
    That's my opinion anyway!
    I'm pretty sure it's not legal for anyone to 'groom' anyone else, but having said that, I don't know what the law provides in the way of punishment or protection.

ReputationRep:
    Even 16 is far too young. Should be 18.

ReputationRep:
    If they're not willing to raise the bar, they shouldn't lower it at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I'm pretty sure it's not legal for anyone to 'groom' anyone else, but having said that, I don't know what the law provides in the way of punishment or protection.
    You would think not, but when someone is over the age of consent they are legally old enough to 'consent' meaning it can be very hard to make meaningful convictions as often there are no actual legal grounds. I think the law definitely needs some work!

ReputationRep:
    It should stay as 16 or be made 18, but we need to be real, with the media, MTV, Schools etc kids are only pressured to have sex at a younger age, which is around 14 averagely Kids don't understand what it really is, that's our problem as society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TanveerSFC)
    It should stay as 16 or be made 18, but we need to be real, with the media, MTV, Schools etc kids are only pressured to have sex at a younger age, which is around 14 averagely Kids don't understand what it really is, that's our problem as society.
    Why should it be made 18? The age of consent is there to protect teenagers from abuse, not to stop them having sex, anyway.

ReputationRep:

However, I think 16 is a little old, since many people are emotionally ready to have sex before this. I think 14, with an additional rule (although perhaps only prosecution guideline rather than statutory law) that until both parties are over 16, there cannot be an age difference of more than 2 years between the parties.
    You may think you're ready for it. Wait until you're a little older and then reflect on that fact. At the time I was 14 I thought that. Now I'm older I realised how wrong I was in the ways of the world at 14.

ReputationRep:
    Sickening

ReputationRep:
    Difficult to take her serious when she describes Stuart Hall's crimes as "low-level misdemeanours" which "ordinarily... would not be prosecuted". Stupid bint. There is a great deal of sexualisation in today's society, especially in the youth and it's down to the media, music and beyond. Lowering the age of consent is not a valid way to deal with it because it suggests conforming, accepting, and promoting promiscuity for people of a much younger age.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that everyone peaks sexually at different times, but I can only judge from my own experiences and I had no interest in sex whatsoever at 13! I lost it at 15 and to be honest, I didn't really have any desire for it...I didn't start to see the fun in it until I was about 17. Lowering it to 13 will only make children of that age feel like they have to be having sex at 13, when a hell of a lot of them won't even have developed properly! I think the law is fine as it is. I know for sure I wouldn't want my child having sex at 13....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    You may think you're ready for it. Wait until you're a little older and then reflect on that fact. At the time I was 14 I thought that. Now I'm older I realised how wrong I was in the ways of the world at 14.
    Thanks for being so patronising.
    I'm 20. I did wait.
    At 14 I personally would not have been ready...but some people would.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for being so patronising.
    I'm 20. I did wait.
    At 14 I personally would not have been ready...but some people would.
    It wasn't meant to be patronising. It was meant to be personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikki1805)
    The thought of children as young as 13 legally being able to have sex seems very wrong to me.
    I know that if they really want to, they could currently do it anyway, but it just seems so much worse if we're saying it's 'OK.' :erm:

In my opinion, a few of our laws make no sense whatsoever;

A 13 year old may soon be able to produce new born life.
    Although they can't celebrate the birth of their child by having a pint down the pub for another 5 years.

A 16 year old can legally smoke a cigarette.
    Although can't buy the cigarettes themselves until they are 18.

A 16 year old can (currently) have sexual intercourse.
    Although they can't watch other people have sex for another 2 years.

This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikki1805)
    The thought of children as young as 13 legally being able to have sex seems very wrong to me.
    I know that if they really want to, they could currently do it anyway, but it just seems so much worse if we're saying it's 'OK.' :erm:

In my opinion, a few of our laws make no sense whatsoever;

A 13 year old may soon be able to produce new born life.
    Although they can't celebrate the birth of their child by having a pint down the pub for another 5 years.

A 16 year old can legally smoke a cigarette.
    Although can't buy the cigarettes themselves until they are 18.

A 16 year old can (currently) have sexual intercourse.
    Although they can't watch other people have sex for another 2 years.

I agree with this post entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Why should it be made 18? The age of consent is there to protect teenagers from abuse, not to stop them having sex, anyway.
    It isn't necessarily there only to protect teenagers from abuse, it is also there to somewhat avoid them from having sex. Yes, they probably do still have sex but it's also there to set some form of barrier.

Otherwise the law would specifically say those over 16 may not have sex with those under 16; rather than those under 16 should not have sex at all.

Even though nothing happens to those who have sex under 16, it's because they only put the law in place to set a positive vibe. Don't want 12 and 13 year olds having sex with other 12/13 year olds when they're not ready now do we.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXHolly_90Xx)
    Oh wow! Here the age of consent is 17 and I think that is low! I didn't lose mine until 20!!
    13 is just sick... they're too young to even know about it properly!
    I agree with you! I lost mine at 21! It's sounds disgusting for 13 yr old's to be having sex; they havent even developed properly at that age and so immature. To be honest, I think the age consent should really be around 21 as it seems more reasonable

ReputationRep:

As a 22 year old I wouldn't feel comfortable having sex with a 14 year old. I don't feel comfortable with idea of having sex with a lot of 18 year olds because they're still so young.

Also at 14 people are naive, a lot of older people would take advantage of that law. In fact unless you're 14 I'd go as far as saying your statement is crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Vile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.