Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

You ever had a stranger say anything to you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The most recent time was when a man shouted 'Nice arse!' at me

I quite like it when people start talking to me in queues etc. though

ReputationRep:
    Once, when I was walking down Oxford Street I was stopped by a guy. Ok, I wasn't walking...I was 'striding' down Oxford Street as fast as possible past all the slow walking people and tourists, to get to my bus stop.

So he rushed in front of me, and said "HI! I'm sorry, but I just had to stop you because you looked so confident striding down in that skirt [I was wearing a bright blue maxi billowing skirt], and I had just nipped out for a cigarette. You're obviously a local, aren't you?"

Now, I hate to say this. But I'm a Londoner and I automatically think 'This is a con. Someone's going to jump out and take my bag'. And I remember clutching onto my bag. But no, he was genuinely...genuine. And we started chatting.

He wasn't trying to chat me up, we weren't flirting. We were just talking. Yes, right in the middle of Oxford Street with everyone rushing past. I had just finished my exams so I was in a good mood, he told me about his work and what he had been up to at the weekend.

We didn't exchange numbers or anything. We shook our hands and said our goodbyes.

I said to him before he went, "More people need to do what you have just done. It takes balls, but it really brightened up my day."

I'll never forget my Oxford Street guy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool_JordH)
    I don't think so. I went to America last year and I was trying on some sunglasses in The Sunglass Hut and some random woman commented on the sunglasses that I tried on. I didn't know what she said, so I just laughed. It happens anywhere you go in a mainstream place, not just in Britain That's very discriminatory towards us British folks.

Personally I disagree. Of course you're going to be weary of why someone is going to randomly come up to you and speak to you especially if it's for some random reason, i.e. not going 'you look beautiful, can I have your number?'

Well that's a bit paradoxical. Simply because they ARE strangers, therefore you do not trust them because you don't know them. This is a completely natural thing. You are obviously not going to be friendly to someone who stops you in the middle of the street. It's common sense to be cautious nowadays.

Why? Because it does not normally happen to everyday people. So when it does, you naturally don't want it to happen because the awkwardness of it makes it uncomfortable for you. No one likes to feel uncomfortable, therefore we tend to shy away from stopping someone randomly in the street to have a nice 'chit chat'.

i don't get the point of your first comment? my point is that people in other countries, in fact most countries that i have visited, are more likely to make casual chit chat/talk to you than british people in britain... you're just telling me how an american woman spoke to you which is backing up my point?

it does happen normally every day in other countries, which is really nice. i'm sorry but i think it's extremely odd and sad that you are so suspicious of everyone. i disagree with all of the rest of your post about being wary of people just TALKING to you... sometimes people clearly have an ulterior motive, such as i said with pervy guys, but other than that... it's just TALKING ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasminholly)
    I don't know whether its just because I'm from the north but I'm always astounded by the amount of young people who are deeply annoyed or "creeped out" when strangers talk to them. You're not famous, some people are just chatty
    To be fair - this site isn't a good representation since by virtue of the fact that it is an internet forum - nerds and people lacking basic social skills are overrepresented.

I think there is something to do with the North/South divide to some extent too though. In the majority of places I have lived, I have always got to know all the people in my block or on my road - only exception being when I lived in London.

I think there is also an element of class involved - more down to earth people seem in general friendlier and willing to mix freely with people in their area. On a related note, students in general seem to tie in with this example - they always tend to live in a bubble where it is only socially acceptable to mix with students and everyone else is just some 'random'. I remember sharing a house with a couple of mates one time and on one side, there was a bunch of students and they were pretty much the only ones on the road who never let on. We all had gardens and even in the summer when we were sitting out and said hi over the fence or what have you, they just giggled nervously. They only finally let on when we sent them a christmas card inviting them for a prechristmas drink along with the other neighbours (although they didn't come). I was even a student at that time although my mates weren't which probably through them off - they probably just didn't know how to mix. Also, when I was younger, my family moved to a street for a while where there were a couple of student houses and those guys never let on. I think they thought that we were just the rough locals and they were above us to be honest. The only thing we ever heard of them was when a row broke out in our house and they knocked on and said they were calling the police.

ReputationRep:
    Primary school, high school as a black kid - white kids be like "Can I touch your hair" hahaha, it's awesome.

ReputationRep:
    was at the globe the other day and some random american guy started speaking to me during the interval. I didn't find it creepy though, I think he was just being friendly aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "wow, you're attractive"

true story

ReputationRep:
    guy next to me at the urinals *silence*
    "well this is awkward right?" hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McCaffery)
    guy next to me at the urinals *silence*
    "well this is awkward right?" hahaha
    The one place where u shouldn't make small talk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it can be awkward, but I quite like it. My mum has a really friendly face, and whenever we go shopping or something, small children always talk to her like 'look at my sweeties!' or something. I often walk around in a daze, because I'm a bit of a daydreamer, so I've had a fair few 'are you OK?' or 'are you lost?' comments. People are just being nice, so I like it.

ReputationRep:
    Once, a stranger talked to me. I quickly dismissed the person as insane and continued with the normal and socially acceptable "Ignore everything except gunfire" policy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind it, unless you don't go in their car, it's all fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arirang)
    People always start talking to me when I have earphones in. Even if they can't see them, I'm certain they can hear the music. If it's for directions they always pick me out of a crowd where most people are not listening to music. Gets annoying.

Most memorable one was when this indie hippy-type came up to me (I was reading a book in the park) and was listening to music (I always am lol) and sat down beside me on the grass and was all "Why is the prettiest girl in the whole park sitting by herself?" I dunno what he was expecting, but after I replied with "Why not?" he couldn't answer me and he went away.

Odd people >:|
    Its situations like that why I personally have low self esteem lol. I am shy and would never do that as would be worried I would get brushed off.

Though nothing odd about someone asking for directions within reason, sometimes if I see a rougher looking person(not as in background could be frowning and slouching about) and someone looking friendly I would pick the friendlier person, or if say I was looking for something like a uni bar and wasnt local I would ask a younger looking person if they knew where it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrumpyCat)
    Once, a stranger talked to me. I quickly dismissed the person as insane and continued with the normal and socially acceptable "Ignore everything except gunfire" policy.
    That's quite a good policy. Mind if I adopt that?

I think the weirdest thing was while I was waiting at the bus and the woman next to me started to tell me her life story. Turns out she had cancer twice. I had no idea what to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What really annoys me is the *****y elderly. A lot of the elderly on the bus are nice, you offer your seat to them they say thank you and that's it.

I once got up for a old lady nicely though and then she starts verbally abusing me. Not even a thank you, she started going 'these stupid kids don't get up for me' (when I clearly got up for her) and then went on to say 'they're all dangerous, useless to our society and all they ever do is be selfish, eat and sleep'.

Not to mention once a man was clearly just walking around on the phone, dressed smartly looked like he worked at a law firm but he was speaking in another language on the phone. So this old man decides he's going to follow him around shouting 'SPEAK ENGLISH CAN'T EVEN ****ING SPEAK ENGLISH, BET YOU CAN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND ME'. He could clearly coherently speak English, and as soon as he starts speaking another language when he picks up his phone he's suddenly abused at.

ReputationRep:
    Just yesterday, I was at the bus-stop going to college when a bunch of black women started laughing loudly.
    The man next to me looked at me, rolled his eyes, "Never would have them for my wife."
    I just laughed and he felt that it was an opening, like it was cool to continue to talk.
    He started telling me about his life and how he divorced his wife *I made sure to make the most sympathetic sounds and an angry face whenever he mentioned his "Horrible" wife*
    He concluded that, "Education is the key to everything. Be educated and don't let a man dictate your life. If you have a few papers to prove that you are educated, then you have the world."

He was an epic man, though I decided to not mention that I was educated and I was going to an educational establishment to get educated so he needn't have worried.

---

I love chatting to strangers.

ReputationRep:
    Occasionally someone will initiate a conversation with me on the bus (usually tends to be an elderly person). I don't really mind it, and I think it's just an effort to be friendly, and we can usually get a nice chat going. On the other hand, when grumpy, old men on the bus start talking to you, I never know what to say so usually just end up mumbling something in reply or pretend I'm focused on something else.

ReputationRep:
    The Christians in our city centre don't like me and they avoid me after I had a theological debate with them and won. I simply refused to accept the 'lord into my life' outside Cash Generator.

Plus, back on to the topic of strangers and not the radical Christian right wing- I always get the crackheads typical 'you got 20p mate'. One of whom seems to think that from the time I go into Sainsbury's to the time I go out again, that the answer would have changed.

ReputationRep:
    "Can I touch your hair" then they don't even wait for an answer and think I'll be saying yes.

The answer to this is always no. I don't want a stranger who I don't know randomly try and touch my hair. Would love to be walking around in peace without slapping some *****es hand away from my curly hair or 'fro.

ReputationRep:
    Other than asking me for money/handing me leaflets/talk to me about god and their church service I don't get strangers talking to me all that much. Last time was when I was in the line at Starbucks when a guy in front me of me turns round so we are standing really close and tellls me what a wonderful day it is before asking me if I had just finished school and what coffee I was ordering. Not that creepy apart from the close contact and smile that never stopped.

I was once sitting on a bench on a train station platform waiting for a train when this guy sits next to me and begins playing the ukulele and singing the 'girl on the platform' song from that tv advert ages ago. His friends suddenly appeared and he asked me if I wanted a biscuit and gave me one out of a pack he had next to him and walked away with his friends. Hate when guys take the piss like that,guys never flirt with me so it's obvious he was just doing to get a laugh with his friends as I am ugly but still,it's hurtful.

Or when I was in a charity shop and this guy picks up a book next to me and reads aloud from that back and starts laughing and reads it to me again,asking me if I found it funny. I agreed I did and soon left the shop(not because of that I just wanted to leave anyway) and I look behind me and he is right behind me and walks in front before glancing back and smiling staring me up and down before waking away.

Or the time I was sitting on the bus and a woman sits next to me,turns to me and asks me how my engagement to 'Tom' is going,how it feels to be so loved up and that she must remember to bring a present and card to congratulate us..I politely informed her that she must have mistaken me for someone else as I wasn't engaged and didn't know anyone called Tom. She looked a bit confused and I felt horrible but I could hardly lie and backtrack...horribly awkward that was.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.