Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can't do it. I have a fear of needles that is on a severe clinical level, and I just can't. I really respect those who do though, seriously well done

ReputationRep:
    In essence, it's actually just a complete non-event. You go in, do the procedure and leave within 15 mins, easy.

I like to think of it as giving to charity without being out-of-pocket.

ReputationRep:
    I only went once. They didnt want me.
    Hahaha. Hurt so much because my veins aren't in fixed positions ( they move around) and are very small.
    At least i got to get to know what blood group i am. Woooo.

Don't let this put you off people, if you can, you'll be helping lots and lots of people, and it won't hurt too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    Maybe they should remove the oral sex from the question, but fact remains that what you're proposing is either excluding an easily distinguished demographic on the grounds that that demographic has high prevalence of undiagnosed HIV OR presenting a very exhaustive list of sexual acts on the form with the job of distinguishing between those who've had protected sex, had unprotected sex, did it in a monogamous relationship (are you sure your partner's monogamous sir?), have had many sexual partners etc etc. in order to essentially exclude most of that same demographic. And all this to please a few people who want the right to bleed into a bag a few times a year, unnecessarily considering the current adequate blood supplies.
    Actually, blood shortages are pretty common - I follow NHSB&T on Facebook and they frequently put out calls for particular blood types due to shortages; most recently for O negative over Easter (actually they asked for all blood types but O- in particular). Also, it's more than "the right to bleed into a bag" - it's the right to be a fully participating member of society.

I believe that the tests they currently use are sufficient to identity HIV infection anyway. Some countries like Italy and Spain don't have a restriction on MSM donating, and I'm not aware of HIV infections from donated blood occurring in those countries.

A move to testing based on an individual's participation in risky sex acts would be much more helpful, as it would cover MSM, WSM, MSW (I am being a bit flippant with my abbreviations), all of whom can be at high risk of infection if they participate in particular activities. It would exclude more risky blood and allow in more safe blood. A 12-month ban on anyone who'd had anal sex would be quite sensible, for example, and wouldn't necessitate a huge change in the form they use either; it's just a long tick-box form, and it's hardly more intrusive than "have you had sex with a prostitute".

(Original post by iJess)
    I'm not so sure about organ donation as I don't like to think about death right now, I'm sure I'll probably sign up in a few years time, but for now by donating blood at least I'm still helping to save lives in some way.
    It's really easy - just fill in this form: https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/how...ation_form.asp
    May as well do it, it only takes 5 minutes.

(Original post by danny111)
    I'll be honest here, I don't trust the needles When I was a kid there were a lot of heroin addicts around and consequently a lot of needles lying about and I guess my parents must have scared me so bad that I just don't want one inside me. Or I guess unless I am ill and need it. Plus there have been stories of contaminated needles.

I guess that is why those 1 time only needles were invented, but I don't know. Thought about it, can't do it.
    They get the needle straight out of its sterilised pack right in front of you, I really wouldn't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Are you allowed as many biscuits/chocolates as you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    I can't do it. I have a fear of needles that is on a severe clinical level, and I just can't. I really respect those who do though, seriously well done
    This for me too.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love giving blood. The last couple of times I've gone I've asked them to take an extra half pint and box it up so I can have it later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Are you allowed as many biscuits/chocolates as you want?
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have to be a certain weight as well? Like you cant be underweight etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BayHarborButcher)
    Don't you have to be a certain weight as well? Like you cant be underweight etc?

I think it's more than 7st or so. Quite low to be honest unless you're really below average height.

I'm banned from giving blood anyway - I had an "encounter" with a guy (I'm a guy) which prohibits me from giving.

Oddly, two hardcore lesbians can give as much as they can give. Bit wrong really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    I think it's more than 7st or so. Quite low to be honest unless you're really below average height.

I'm banned from giving blood anyway - I had an "encounter" with a guy (I'm a guy) which prohibits me from giving.

Oddly, two hardcore lesbians can give as much as they can give. Bit wrong really.
    Oh really? And I heard that if your BMI is considered underwieght you can't give blood? And dude that just sounds plain stupid, what difference does it make if your hetero or homo ?

ReputationRep:
    I've given blood 3 times now, and i've never had a problem, if anything I always feel more energised afterwards, think I have too much blood haha
    I can only donate once a year now though as i'm slightly anaemic and have low iron levels which sucks, because i've never felt faint or dizzy before when i've done it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BayHarborButcher)
    Oh really? And I heard that if your BMI is considered underwieght you can't give blood? And dude that just sounds plain stupid, what difference does it make if your hetero or homo ?
    Yeah but it has to be something silly, I think under 18 or something. Not sure off hand but you have to be properly bordering on ridiculous.

Yeah I know, it is ridiculous considering the highest risk group for HIV/AIDS (which is why they're funny basically, it's considered a "high risk lifestyle"!) is white straight females. The mind boggles at their lack of intelligence.

Basically if you're a straight man who's had 20 years of unprotected penetrative sex (both vaginal and anal) and somehow (!) managed to catch nothing, you're completely fine but if you're a gay man who's only ever had 1 sexual partner and is in a monogamous relationship with him and never had unprotected sex (even unprotected oral), you can't give blood. Ever.

I think the rules changed in the last few years to if you've had any sexual contact with a man but it was more than 12 months ago then you can give blood but I refuse to on principle. Why exclude gay people (because let's be honest, gay couples have sex just as much as straight couples do!).

It screams discrimination but it's not covered by anti-discrimination laws as it's a "risk to public health" or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted to donate blood since I was about 14, but unfortunately a couple of months before I was 17 I checked the website and I'm like half a stone underweight apparently
    I also have low blood pressure due to medication I'm on so that would probably exclude me too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    Yeah but it has to be something silly, I think under 18 or something. Not sure off hand but you have to be properly bordering on ridiculous.

Yeah I know, it is ridiculous considering the highest risk group for HIV/AIDS (which is why they're funny basically, it's considered a "high risk lifestyle"!) is white straight females. The mind boggles at their lack of intelligence.

Basically if you're a straight man who's had 20 years of unprotected penetrative sex (both vaginal and anal) and somehow (!) managed to catch nothing, you're completely fine but if you're a gay man who's only ever had 1 sexual partner and is in a monogamous relationship with him and never had unprotected sex (even unprotected oral), you can't give blood. Ever.

I think the rules changed in the last few years to if you've had any sexual contact with a man but it was more than 12 months ago then you can give blood but I refuse to on principle. Why exclude gay people (because let's be honest, gay couples have sex just as much as straight couples do!).

It screams discrimination but it's not covered by anti-discrimination laws as it's a "risk to public health" or something like that.
    I don't understand though, surely they can determine that you're free of HIV/AIDs??

ReputationRep:
    I actually had a student doctor who took my blood she put the needle in and my blood squirted all over my brand new jeans up my arm and on her, she then accidentally took the needle out when she still needed to fill up more tubes with blood so had to pop another needle in the other arm and my arm decided to stop giving blood, I actually started to feel a bit faint after that. I've got so many piercings that have been done by needle though. A needle straight through my tongue. Tough as nails me, and I'll still happily have blood taken after all that lmao

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting for my birthday and then i'm off to donate

ReputationRep:
    I can't because of a malabsorption of iron in my digestive system, but I urge anyone else to go do it in place. I always wanted to, even though I'm terrified of needles, and was heartbroken when I found out I couldn't!

ReputationRep:
    I did it for the first time today actually, the best part is that they give you free food :awesome:

I was really nervous before, but there's actually nothing to worry about. It hurts for about 2 seconds when they stick the needle in, but apart from that it's fine

I used to give blood from 18 until 20. When I was pregnant and a c section I became anaemic and have been ever since on and off. Very sad I can't really give blood well done its an amazing thing to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.