Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In Bournemouth if you got 67, 68 or 69 overall you can still get a first if you have 70% in 80 level H credits. But i personally think thats too generous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    For Classics mods at Oxford

I imagine things like this vary enormously however by university and course. :holmes:
    This is true for Leeds as well.

[6.80-6.85), you might be able to get first class. 6.85+ is first class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simmytime)
    In Bournemouth if you got 67, 68 or 69 overall you can still get a first if you have 70% in 80 level H credits. But i personally think thats too generous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Cornelius)
    This is true for Leeds as well.

[6.80-6.85), you might be able to get first class. 6.85+ is first class.
    Ah good to hear, i asked my uni and they didnt tell me the actual guidelines. However i heard its more difficult for them to be lenient for BSC but will see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford arts subjects gives a First if you can average at least 68.5 in Finals and have two papers over 70.

ReputationRep:
    Im a ****.. could you direct me to the correct forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just an update on this thread spoke to our head lecturer and he said for BA its roughly 67-70% and BSC there is little leniency 69%.

ReputationRep:
    I got a 2:1 by 1 mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    I got a 2:1 by 1 mark.
    Lucky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Anyone received a first at university with less than 70%?

thanks
    Only 70%? Wow, that's so low, I can't wait for UNI!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctordee)
    lol its much harder than you think but then again depends on uni and course.

ReputationRep:
    It is considerably more difficult to get 70% at university than at A level. Within CS for instance, then with a coding coursework - to get 60% you need to have a complete, well-coded solution, which meets all the criteria. To get 70% you generally need to have work which meets the criteria for 60% and goes above and beyond the specification in some way. And it gets similar harder for 80/90%.

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that everyone gets £6000 free when they go to UNI?

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that everyone gets £6000 free when they go to UNI?
    I wish. It's a loan, you have to repay every penny plus interest. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I'm not at any of the above uni's, and my uni won't disclose the boundaries for moving up a class, so I have no idea where I need to aim for (therefore aiming for a general average).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomer)
    Yeah so stick to - are they incredibly close to the 60 or 70% grade boundaries? Simples.
    Well no. Say I have in my ten units 69 61 69 68 68 69 68 69 69 74 my average would be 69.1%
    Incredibly unlucky? Yes. Deserving of a 1st? No

Then say in my ten units I have 61 71 71 65 74 72 71 70 72 63 my average would be 69.0%
    There, 7 out of the 10 units are above 70% but the average is below. I'd say that set of results is deserving of a 1st class degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maes Seren)
    I wish. It's a loan, you have to repay every penny plus interest. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I'm not at any of the above uni's, and my uni won't disclose the boundaries for moving up a class, so I have no idea where I need to aim for (therefore aiming for a general average).
    Where do you go to?
    and so there is no £6000 scholarship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    At my university you can get a first with a 68% average as long as you got 70%+ in enough individual modules. I thought that some variant on this was pretty standard.
    Yeah same at mine. If 6 half-units are firsts and you have an average of 68, then you get a first

ReputationRep:
    from the website of my university

FIRST CLASS HONOURS
    An aggregate mark of at least 840;

OR an aggregate mark of at least 780 AND at least 75 Level III credits all gained from modules with a mark of 70 or higher;

OR an aggregate mark of at least 780 AND at least 60 Level III credits and 30 Level II credits all gained from modules with a mark of 70 or higher

it also explains at the bottom that the aggregate mark is the total of the marks you get in third year + the total of the marks in second year divided by two.

so ignoring first year because it doesn't count. an aggregate of 840 would be an average of 70%
    or you could get 5 70's in third year and the rest of third year and second year would have to average 61.4% meaning your overall average could be as low as 65% so long as you got the right balance of higher grades at the right time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    from the website of my university

it also explains at the bottom that the aggregate mark is the total of the marks you get in third year + the total of the marks in second year divided by two.

so ignoring first year because it doesn't count. an aggregate of 840 would be an average of 70%
    or you could get 5 70's in third year and the rest of third year and second year would have to average 61.4% meaning your overall average could be as low as 65% so long as you got the right balance of higher grades at the right time.
    Ah, My university doesn't have such guidelines and is quite harsh apparently but we shall see!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Ah, My university doesn't have such guidelines and is quite harsh apparently but we shall see!
    I'm very very glad that my university makes it so clear. It seems fairly lenient which is always reassuring, although I can but even if they were extremely harsh it would still be so helpful to know exactly where you stand and beforehand so you know what you are expecting. I would hate all the uncertainty you and other people on this thread seem to have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    I'm very very glad that my university makes it so clear. It seems fairly lenient which is always reassuring, although I can but even if they were extremely harsh it would still be so helpful to know exactly where you stand and beforehand so you know what you are expecting. I would hate all the uncertainty you and other people on this thread seem to have.
    Exactly its pretty much killing me. All i've been told is that they are lenient to 69.5%. Pretty unfair if you get just below that.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.