Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Women shaving - When did people start *****ing about it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    Surprising it becomes harder and harder to cover up when the sun comes out.

No short sleeves, no lovely dresses.
    Always tights. Even with tights they have to be quite thick so the hairs do not show through.

Yet with the long hair most employers do not mind if you tie up your hair (expected for girls too) and with the beard if it exceeds a length I know men have been suggested to plait or pin it.
    I'm forced to shave before every shift

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1607)
    Chance at great men like myself.
    Nah man,
    I'll stick to what i have

ReputationRep:
    :lol: I don't know this whole thing about women not shaving there legs issue.
    Bascially because so many in society do shave, if you don't you're seen as like eww.
    But tbh, people look more at your face before they do your legs so....

Society is weird,bad,good, we need people to shape it the way they want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by assassin's_creed)
    I'm forced to shave before every shift
    How does that make you feel?
    When you walk down the street unshaven do they give you funny stares?
    Giggle behind your back?
    Shout after you in public places? Ask if you want them to show how to shave?
    Are you mocked?

ReputationRep:
    How does that make you feel?
    When you walk down the street unshaven do they give you funny stares?
    Giggle behind your back?
    Shout after you in public places? Ask if you want them to show how to shave?
    Are you mocked?
    I'm quite baby faced for my age so there are comments actually.

I'm sure if my beard looked stupid I'd have the same reaction as someone with hairy legs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite baby faced for my age so there are comments actually.

I'm sure if my beard looked stupid I'd have the same reaction as someone with hairy legs.
    It is not someone with hairy legs, it is a female with unshaven legs.

I can imagine if a girl had a funky beard it would happen. If a man or women had 3 arms it would happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam198)
    Hair is natural how can you argue against it. You're not accepting woman hood in all its fullness.
    Shampoo is unnatural, so is soap and deodorant - we should never use these things and accept manhood in all its fullness.

ReputationRep:
    It is not someone with hairy legs, it is a female with unshaven legs.

I can imagine if a girl had a funky beard it would happen. If a man or women had 3 arms it would happen.
    In the context of the conversation 'someone' meant female person.

Are you seriously suggesting a three armed man or woman is anywhere near comparable to a hairy legged woman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    No. My dad works for a recruitment company, and a condition of his continued employment is that he is clean-shaven. Even when I worked for an events company on £7 an hour, I had to be clean-shaven.
    Bloody hell, must be prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    How is being expected to smell 'good' any different to being expected to shave?
    Hygiene and cleanliness as opposed to a socially constructed preference. Don't be daft.

ReputationRep:
    In the context of the conversation 'someone' meant female person.

Are you seriously suggesting a three armed man or woman is anywhere near comparable to a hairy legged woman?
    No I was just explaining how it isn't the same.
    Like If someone had three arms or a really weird beard you would expect them to perhaps looks because it will catch their eye. Just as a blue donut.

However this is not the same as a female with hairy legs as it is looked down upon, not catching eye, just mocked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    Well, I think there is. Would I date a woman who did not shave her leg hair? No. That doesn't make me a sexist or adherent to any other affiliated social tag that any fool cares to label me with. I just don't like women with hairy legs, much the same as women do not like men with hairy bodies and like them to be waxed. No doubt many of the female commenters are too determined in "fighting the system" that they can't hear the sound of just how little no one cares about their decision to not shave.
    Dude, I don't like unshaven women too. But, these are my own personal preferences and don't really prove that there's something objectively ugly about women with unshaven legs, the mere fact that women have generally had unshaven legs in most of human history kinda proves this. I'm just illustrating that your preferences didn't just pop out of thin air, they are the result of the society we live in values.

Men have to shave for work too if they like keeping their jobs and having a full on Gandalf beard would have you shunned by most in today's society.
    Don't dispute that.

ReputationRep:
    Why do men have beards and women have more developed breasts (before being pregnant) than men?

Sexual differentiation. When a feature starts to be perceived as a means to tell sexes apart, those that have attributes that signal their gender tend to be selected more often, and eventually this amplifies the feature's appeal as a gender signal.

Few women have beards, most men prefer women without beards, and indirectly this may translate as an indirect preference for less hairy women. Its not fair for short effeminate men that a lot of women will prefer (generally speaking, all other things equal) other men, and sure such men can complain that its not fair, but that's the reality.

(If women dont want to shave, they just need to stop cheating and stop shaving, several Darwinian centuries later, a number of women will have a lot less hairs and will no longer need to shave, voila )

cheers

ReputationRep:
    No I was just explaining how it isn't the same.
    Like If someone had three arms or a really weird beard you would expect them to perhaps looks because it will catch their eye. Just as a blue donut.

However this is not the same as a female with hairy legs as it is looked down upon, not catching eye, just mocked.
    It's eye catching because it's different!

A woman with hairy legs is not the social norm and would attract attention just like any other unusual thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deck3100)
    Why do men have beards and women have more developed breasts (before being pregnant) than men?

Sexual differentiation. When a feature starts to be perceived as a means to tell sexes apart, those that have attributes that signal their gender tend to be selected more often, and eventually this amplifies the feature's appeal as a gender signal.

Few women have beards, most men prefer women without beards, and indirectly this may translate as an indirect preference for less hairy women. Its not fair for short effeminate men that a lot of women will prefer (generally speaking, all other things equal) other men, and sure such men can complain that its not fair, but that's the reality.

(If women dont want to shave, they just need to stop cheating and stop shaving, several Darwinian centuries later, a number of women will have a lot less hairs and will no longer need to shave, voila )

cheers
    The difference is that no one is expecting men to try and change their height, they're just expected to be happy with who they are.
    Also most women have the same amount of body hair, you don't get any women with no body hair naturally where as you get tall men naturally. The preference for no body hair is a preference for something that never occurs naturally.

Plus if your evolutionary theory was true women would be hairless, because shaving is only a recent thing. Also men don't generally choose who to have children with based on their hairyness.

ReputationRep:
    For people debating about whether showering, brushing teeth and other general maintenance are also done due to social pressures, ask yourself what you would do it you were the last person alive?
    Imagine the plot of I Am Legend... you will never see another human again. What would you do to your body?

Honestly for me I'd still shower and brush my teeth, feeling grubby and sweaty isn't nice and nor is rotten teeth. I'd still cut my hair to a suitable length. If I was a man I'd probably keep my hair and beard short for convenience and comfort. But I wouldn't shave my legs.

I know that means I've given in to social pressures, but it is just a hard thing to resist when peoples feelings on body hair are so strong.

ReputationRep:
    It's eye catching because it's different!

A woman with hairy legs is not the social norm and would attract attention just like any other unusual thing.
    I am not saying it will not attract attention.
    It will be a different kind of attention.

From what was said before about you explaining that women should not complain as men have the same 'hairy' pressures. Then you used the example of a weird beard.
    This weird beard gets attention from it just being eye-catching.

For women it is mocked.

Different kind of attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    Women need to shave their nasty selves. Women have a long list of demands from men yet they cannot be bothered to do one of the few things required of them to be successful in the dating game. Princess syndrome rears it's head again. A man with a huge beard would be disadvantaged in the job market yet he accepts this and shaves without making a fuss. Women with hair are disadvantaged in the dating market yet they cannot accept this and complain about having to shave. Moustaches, sideburns, leg hair, arm hair it's all disgusting on women and it is a solid fact that most men will agree. Just shave it and stop whingeing it's not that hard. Acting like we're asking you to chop your fingers off.
    you sound a bit bitter bro...

ReputationRep:
    I am not saying it will not attract attention.
    It will be a different kind of attention.

From what was said before about you explaining that women should not complain as men have the same 'hairy' pressures. Then you used the example of a weird beard.
    This weird beard gets attention from it just being eye-catching.

For women it is mocked.

Different kind of attention.
    I disagree as someone could easily be mocked for having a weird beard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I disagree as someone could easily be mocked for having a weird beard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yea but it is the same for a woman if she had a weird beard.

Unlike shaving.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.