Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In society, why are suicide rates higher for men than women? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nut.)
    Whoever said above that women are more likely to attempt but men are more likely to be successful is correct.

Professionals mostly put it down to gender differences in the methods that people choose; men are more likely to choose violent or painful methods and women more likely to choose "passive" methods.

I won't go into any more detail because it would be against forum rules.
    I second this. I know of gazillions of angsty teen girls who either threatened suicide or actually tried by downing paracetamol usually. However when I hear of anyone who actually died in the attempt it's always a male.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    Society does not care about low status men. That is why.

Low status women on the other hand can always become "mothers".
    do you think that is the reason why suicide rate is higher for men than women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    do you think that is the reason why suicide rate is higher for men than women?
    There are probably quite a few reasons. But I think the fact that men can, and probably rightly, argue that their life has no purpose.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it's nonsense to suggest that women are somehow "not as good" at killing themselves. If you really want to end your life, you can do it. The fact that most "attempted suicides" are female, is because most "attempted suicides" are not TRULY attempts at suicide, but cries for help. Taking a few too many aspirin, cannot be compared to hanging oneself. The considerable disparity, between male and female suicide rates, was always a great factor in my not calling myself a 'feminist'; largely because, it conflicts STRONGLY with the idea of men having it easier than women. It's something which, interestingly enough, the feminists have very little to say about. But it's certainly a very important issue.

ReputationRep:
    Men don't cope with being alone as well as women. While being independent is seen as a male trait (and often is as well), they often need to support of a spouse/girlfriend and a stable home. The need for stability is larger for men, which is why a lot of male suicides happens after divorce or losing their job. Most partner homicides often happens after a woman has asked for divorce.
    While single men who do well with women do allright, single men with no female contact are placed on the bottom of the happiness scale.
    Due to testosterone, men are often more "extreme" than women. There are more men at the top (financially, professionally, having multiple sexual partners), but also far more at the bottom. Pride is also a strong drive in men, and feeling unsuccessful in life is a huge blow to the ego. There are more men than women with no job, no sexual contact and poor health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    The need for stability is larger for men, which is why a lot of male suicides happens after divorce or losing their job. Most partner homicides often happens after a woman has asked for divorce.
    Generally a good post, although could this part not be so much to do with how divorce, in theory, affects men; and more to do with how, in practice, it does? As in, because men are more likely to lose their home, assets and kids following a divorce, this is why a lot of MALE suicides happen after a divorce? There would almost definitely be far more female suicides, were these things as likely to happen to women.

ReputationRep:
    its coz we dont get a sandwich

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truffle_girl)
    Generally a good post, although could this part not be so much to do with how divorce, in theory, affects men; and more to do with how, in practice, it does? As in, because men are more likely to lose their home, assets and kids following a divorce, this is why a lot of MALE suicides happen after a divorce? There would almost definitely be far more female suicides, were these things as likely to happen to women.
    I don't agree that men are worse off than women post divorce. There are plenty of ways to protect your assets, and the financial loss of divorce is overstated. On average, men get wealthier after divorce in the US. I don't know about the UK, but you still have the same legal tools to protect yourself. The chances of seeing your children are also connected to how much time you spent with them growing up. Many men are perfectly happy not seeing much of their children and spending time at work - there are not as many men asking for joint custody as you think, it's still a very small percentage.
    It could be that in practice men are worse off because they didn't realize how important the stability was for them until it was gone. In general, men are happier with a family than single and shagging around (married men are at the top of the happiness scale). I have seen a couple of cases of successful, attractive men ending up as alcoholics following a divorce in my extended social circle, even though they were still wealthy and in their prime.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree that men are worse off than women post divorce. There are plenty of ways to protect your assets,
    Such as? Even if they exist in theory, doesn't mean all, or even most, men will have taken them, though.

On average, men get wealthier after divorce in the US.
    Sounds like an open-ended statement. How long after divorce? In terms of gross income, or income after child support and alimony are deducted etc etc. What about women? And in the case of women, before or after these things are added?

The chances of seeing your children are also connected to how much time you spent with them growing up.
    Still doesn't change the fact that many men get every other weekend only, in terms of access rights. These are fathers who lived with the children, in many cases.

Many men are perfectly happy not seeing much of their children and spending time at work - there are not as many men asking for joint custody as you think, it's still a very small percentage.
    Spending time at work doesn't stop someone seeing their kids EVERY weekend, and perhaps some evenings and holidays, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    I thought women were the oppressed ones in society? Wait, have feminists been talking **** this whole time?!
    A higher suicide rate does not prove that men are more oppressed. The likely reason is that men and women are expected to behave differently which arguably feminists would consider oppression to both men and women.

ReputationRep:
    Men don't cope with being alone as well as women. While being independent is seen as a male trait (and often is as well), they often need to support of a spouse/girlfriend and a stable home. The need for stability is larger for men, which is why a lot of male suicides happens after divorce or losing their job. Most partner homicides often happens after a woman has asked for divorce.
    While single men who do well with women do allright, single men with no female contact are placed on the bottom of the happiness scale.
    Due to testosterone, men are often more "extreme" than women. There are more men at the top (financially, professionally, having multiple sexual partners), but also far more at the bottom. Pride is also a strong drive in men, and feeling unsuccessful in life is a huge blow to the ego. There are more men than women with no job, no sexual contact and poor health.
    I think women are more likely to have lots of girl friends who they talk a lot to and many of the ones I know are in long term relationships, jump from boyfriend to boyfriend or always have at least one guy lined up. Whether that means women cope less well being alone than men, I don't know.

Why is the need for stability greater for men?

I agree that there are big extremes in men their success. There are the top 10% or so of men who are bombarded on a daily basis with female attention but there are many others who barely get a lookin edgeways. Do you think this could be a reason for higher suicide rate for men?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.