Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by script100)
    Talk about your subject, why it interests you and what particular areas you like. yeah, talk about what you hope to learn and what you hope to do in future. I advise you put in books you've read about the subject or scientific journals ect., but you have to make sure your comfortable to talk about them in an interview. Most of it should be about the course but talk about about extra curricular activities and write what you learned from then, don't just list them.
    I'm taking a gap year so in the end of my statement I will say what I'm going to do...
    I'm going to my my uncles school to help teach kids but not sure how that relates to my course of law....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    I'm taking a gap year so in the end of my statement I will say what I'm going to do...
    I'm going to my my uncles school to help teach kids but not sure how that relates to my course of law....
    that's a tough one, you could just say general things like it will make you more independent ect. Why are going to help your uncle teach kids? If you know why you want to do it you should just be able to put it into your personal statement. I don't think you're always expected to do something relating to your degree on your gap year, if you can link it that good, but if its not possible just explain why you want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah09_)
    Most people will get predicted higher than the results they get at AS. Just explain to your teacher you need them to predict you an A for university and you'll work harder next year. A lot of people get in with grades lower than the entry requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, thank you!!
    :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by script100)
    i got BBBB at AS level, predicted AAA for A level and got offers from Imperial, UCL, York, Bath and Manchester. And my course didn't interview. Just make sure your personal statement is really good
    Amazing offers! Thank you thanks everyone. I feel a lot better! I was just s worried. I know how competitive it is to get into a Russell group and I hate that AS didnt click for me sooner but it's giving me confidence that I can still get one of the top Uni's! ABB I guess is great at AS Level! I was always just worried about the competition since everyone on the Uni stalking pages always get like 4As at A Level and I thought my grades wouldn't be enough. I'm gonna make sure I work hard at my personal statement and attend those summer schools and everything as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcao03)
    I think I'm going to end up with an ABB at AS. I really would like to go to a Russell Group but I'm so scared because I know the course that I want to do at places like UCL, York, Warwick, Durham etc. want you to have an AAA or A*AA and I'm worried my AS grades are going to let me down. I guess I have where I go to school and backgrounds will be an advantage for me when I apply but I'm not sure... help!
    Manchester university is a russel group uni and theyr pharmacy requirements are from ABB to AAA http://www.pharmacy.manchester.ac.uk...ode=01695&pg=3 hope this helped:p:p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocoa & vanilla)
    Manchester university is a russel group uni and theyr pharmacy requirements are from ABB to AAA http://www.pharmacy.manchester.ac.uk...ode=01695&pg=3 hope this helped:p:p
    Thank you! I'm planning to do English but I'll check the grade boundaries for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    Oh wow. I'm a mature student. Doing two alevels in one year now and my 3rd one on my gap year whilst travelling as my current college didn't allow me to take politics as it was completely full. I don't think I would have managed 3 intensive alevels in one year anyway!
    My ucas is gonna look so weird lol! I will have two alevels and one as pending(the Poltics)
    The reason btw I'm asking about retakes is incase I don't do too well in my exams in June and want to retake on my gap year whilst doing my politics!
    I know....my situation is weird...mainly because after GCSEs I left education an worked! I decided to come back this year though....hence why I am doing two intensive alevels.....
    oh right i see at least you'll have experience as a bonus oh and i think doing retakes should be ok but maybe contact them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatienceO94)
    oh right i see at least you'll have experience as a bonus oh and i think doing retakes should be ok but maybe contact them?
    hmmm i hope so!
    depends on the uni i suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    hmmm i hope so!
    depends on the uni i suppose
    yh thats right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatienceO94)
    i really wouldn't worry too much i got BCCD (dropped the D subject) at AS and even got a few U's in some modules but still got offers from Manchester, Sheffield and Newcastle (also Lincoln) i've firmed Manchester now for BioMed, good luck to you
    I'm not sure if I've replied. It's hard to check on my phone but wow that's amazing. Thank you! I've just been worried about the competition!! Speaking to loads of students that are planning to study at a Russell group uni and 90% of them saying that they had A's in their Jan modules can be so daunting when you have to think about the competition you're up against. But I guess it all comes down to your personal statements and your own hard work and not worrying too much about having like, the best ever results in the country if you get me haha. Congrats on your offers and good luck in your exams :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't beat yourself up over ABB grades... They are very respectable grades and shouldn't give any reason for prestigious universities to reject you given that your personal statement and references are adequate. For instance, my brother obtained BDDE at AS and turned that around to ABB at A2, where he is now studying at Nottingham. You don't need fantastic AS grades to get offers from universities, but you will need the motivation to put in the hard work when it comes to meeting those offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Segadfx)
    You shouldn't beat yourself up over ABB grades... They are very respectable grades and shouldn't give any reason for prestigious universities to reject you given that your personal statement and references are adequate. For instance, my brother obtained BDDE at AS and turned that around to ABB at A2, where he is now studying at Nottingham. You don't need fantastic AS grades to get offers from universities, but you will need the motivation to put in the hard work when it comes to meeting those offers.
    Thank you! And yeah, initially I was worried about them. I realise now that I will be lucky to get the ABB. I guess it's just all that pressure from the whole year and having high expectations of myself I guess and not realising things are actually a little easier than you think. The competitiveness made me so anxious but you're right! And that's so good about your brother too. Yeah, definitely. I'm gonna really work for A2. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    do unis not take you if you resit units on a gap year?

To do Linguistics at Queen Mary you only need around an ABB and a B in English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcao03)
    I'm not sure if I've replied. It's hard to check on my phone but wow that's amazing. Thank you! I've just been worried about the competition!! Speaking to loads of students that are planning to study at a Russell group uni and 90% of them saying that they had A's in their Jan modules can be so daunting when you have to think about the competition you're up against. But I guess it all comes down to your personal statements and your own hard work and not worrying too much about having like, the best ever results in the country if you get me haha. Congrats on your offers and good luck in your exams :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes exactly thank you so much, you too!!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.