Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyruth_13)
    I did Tennyson for Section A. Was very pissed at the choice of Lotos-Eaters as that featured only a few years back

Then I did Kite Runner, Gatsby and Browning for the conflict question on Section.

All of my friends seemed to think they did terrible/have definitely failed but I thought it went fairly ok. Especially compared to the worst case scenario you kind of build up before hand. Good luck everybody! And even if everyone has done badly that should mean low grade boundaries right ?
    lol i did the exact texts for section B

ReputationRep:
    section b i did the conflict question

for Gatsby i talked about how his internal conflict in trying to achieve his dream draws sympathy from the reader as we see how it's affecting him and then i talked about how in the end his conflict is made universal which allows the reader to reflect on their own life etc 'boats borne back" etc

Kite Runner i talked about Amir's struggle to connect with Baba, which similarly draws sympathy and allows us to vicariously experience Amir's emotions and his conflict sparked by his disloyalty to Hassan which shows Amir's development as he feels guilt

Browning i did the Laboratory and talked about the narrator's internal conflict of her own morality, she questions herself 'can it hurt me?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anilkumar)
    I thought the questions we're really awkard. I ended up doing Rossetti for my section A, with Keytes, Gatsby and Kite Runner for section B on the conflicts question. Rossetti I found quite nice to write about, and the same was true for the Great Gatsby. There's LOADS of conflict. As for Kite Runner, I only really picked up on that between good and evil (how Hassan and Assef were polar opposites), Hazara's and Pashtuuns, and the conflicting change in Baba from when he's in Afghanistan and thriving to his decline in the US.
    Didn't the question say something like heroes face conflicts, discuss the conflicts faced in the three texts? So we're you not supposed to show how baba and amir are heroes before discussing their conflicts and it's significance???

ReputationRep:
    E=William24;42669620]I thought the Auden questions were really nice. I was so happy Victor was the named poem, there was plenty to write about. The even numbered question was just as nice, also with plenty of things to discuss as well. Section B was a little harder but I chose to do the one about 'Time Setting' and talked about Enduring Love, The Great Gatsby and Browning Poetry.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't the question about conflicts, discuss the conflicts faced in the three texts? So we're you not supposed to show how baba and amir are heroes before discussing their conflicts and it's significance???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pseudonymegg)
    Yeah i did Auden in section A, what did you write for Ab arguing it wasn't just an attack on religion??
    For sec b
    Wasn't the question about conflicts, discuss the conflicts faced in the three texts? So we're you not supposed to show how baba and amir are heroes before discussing their conflicts and it's significance???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harjit1)
    E=William24;42669620]I thought the Auden questions were really nice. I was so happy Victor was the named poem, there was plenty to write about. The even numbered question was just as nice, also with plenty of things to discuss as well. Section B was a little harder but I chose to do the one about 'Time Setting' and talked about Enduring Love, The Great Gatsby and Browning Poetry.
    Wasn't the question about conflicts, discuss the conflicts faced in the three texts? So we're you not supposed to show how baba and amir are heroes before discussing their conflicts and it's significance???[/QUOTE]

That was just a quote. You didnt have to write about the heroes or heroines in the poems. It just said write about the significance of conflict in the other three texts and thats all you needed to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I find the exam okay-ish...
    I did Mariner for Section A and found the odd number question quite easy but was a bit nervy and panicky about the even numbered one..

For section B, I did The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby and Browning; I did the conflict question and i'm not too sure if that went well...... I managed to ask for 2 more extra sheets of paper as well.......... In my mock I got 69 marks so i'm hopeful i guess!!!

Did anyone else on here do The Mariner for Section A? If so what were your thoughts on it and what did you write and focus on?
    Same for Section B for the Conflict question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerri1825)
    I did The Mariner Section A too!

For the question on part 2 I talked about the descriptive language 'The Sun' connotates and why Coleridge repreats it throughout. I said about the distortion of the quatrain stanzas in the part and i talked about the rhyme scheme etc.

I felt the question about the extreme locations and his extreme psychological state was quite hard in the sense that I didn't argue my point very well
    I did Mariner but I never mention anything about the poetry (woops) but it has never affected my grade in the past. I hope not anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerri1825)
    so what did you talk about for the part 2 question?
    and did you agree or disagree for the question on location?!
    I agreed that the extremes in location such as "the hot and copper sky" were like burning torture both within the mariner and his external punishment and that after part 4 when he has found redemption the sea is described as calm etc and he has found peace. I just went though each part sequentially and found what Coleridge talks about in terms of setting and made a link to the storyline of that part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDarkApple)
    I find the exam okay-ish...
    I did Mariner for Section A and found the odd number question quite easy but was a bit nervy and panicky about the even numbered one..

For section B, I did The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby and Browning; I did the conflict question and i'm not too sure if that went well...... I managed to ask for 2 more extra sheets of paper as well.......... In my mock I got 69 marks so i'm hopeful i guess!!!

Did anyone else on here do The Mariner for Section A? If so what were your thoughts on it and what did you write and focus on?
    Same for Section B for the Conflict question.
    What did you write for section B about The Kite Runner?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dooobie_)
    What did you write for section B about The Kite Runner?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wrote about Amir and Hassan's relationship and the conflict that occured there with references to the rape scene and the set up..

Umm I think I also mentioned the stoning and the conflict between Asseff and Amir; was it right stoning them due to committing adultery..i made references to Afghanistan today (reminded them of the cruel society and punishments)

I cant remember what else i wrote tbh! Sorryy... but I did write around 2 sides for the Kite Runner in Section B

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, there's another discussion about this exam if you want to have a look

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...age=17&page=17

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pseudonymegg)
    Yeah i did Auden in section A, what did you write for Ab arguing it wasn't just an attack on religion??
    My reasons for attacking Religion:
    • The strict upbringing and the quoting from the bible, suggesting that religious people are often brainwashed, and how this was completely ironic as he later went on to murder someone so I was discussing how Auden possibly was conveying how religion often focuses on small points e.g 'Don't dishonour the family name' and forgets to lecture on more important issues and could therefore show hypocrisy.
    • The lines about 'Pure as a schoolgirl on her First Communion Day' could be slightly suggestive with sexual connotations and Auden could be hinting at the deep-set paedophilia sometimes found within the Church (didn't think this point was very strong but I found it a good way to definitely make sure I had a bit of context).
    • The bit at the end about how the blood said it was the 'resurrection and the life' and he was the 'alpha and omega' come to 'judge the Earth one day'. This was sort of saying how he was murdering in the name of religion and almost as if his religion approved of what he done, which could be Auden again highlighting hypocrisy and almost backwardness in the Church and religion.

My arguments it wasn't about religion:
    • I discussed how he heard 'voices in his left, voices in his right, voice at the base of his skull'. This could be Auden attempting to make his think deeper into the mentality of this man and maybe attempting to raise awareness of mental issues and how they can affect someone through their whole life and how it can make them do mad things.
    • The fact it was all objects or settings of nature, 'mountains', 'rivers' etc telling him to kill her and harm Anna could lead us to examine more closely this symbolism. Through the contrast of the usual rural and quiet connotations with nature, compared to the murderous and deathly tones in Auden's poem, Auden may be making a point of sometimes things may have disguises, pleasant things can often turn deadly and everything is not always what it seems, and was rather a lesson to society about how to think carefully before trusting or believing things in general.

I concluded that although there were valid points that Auden could have been attempting to raise, the fact religion so heavily from beginning till end means that quite clearly this poem was in fact a pure attack on religion and nothing more.

Sorry if I quoted anything wrong by the way, I'm doing this from memory. I think I made some other points but I really can't remember them. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harjit1)
    For sec b
    there are two questions in section A e.g. Auden's attack on religion in Victor, then one Section B question from which you could choose conflicts or time setting

ReputationRep:
    I went into the exam feeling okay and coming out thinking that I've completely misunderstood the question.
    I did Auden for Section A and for Section B I did Rossetti's Goblin Market, McCarthy's The Road and Faulks' Birdsong.

Section A (i) was just the usual AO2 only and in Section A (ii) I wrote that Victor was an attack on religion but on society as well. And at the end I said that Auden attacked society through the religious mockery he implemented and therefore making "Victor" a very strong attack against religion or something like that.

Section B:
    For Rossetti I wrote about the conflict Lizzie faced to save her sister and how this affected the final outcome of finally saving her.
    For McCarthy I wrote about the fact that the wife of the man decided to kill herself and leave him and how her cold "final gift" foreshadowed the man's own cold death at the end.
    For Faulks I wrote about the fact that Isabelle left Stephen and subsequently changed his character, again impacting on the result of Stephen's life at the end.

I think I have made a total mug of myself now that I think about what I wrote. I just hope the AO2 and AO3 points are relevant. Geez... -_-

ReputationRep:
    I did The Great Gatsby for Section A. It was chapter 8 which completely threw me, but I was determined to talk about Gatsby in depth because I love it so much. The Part B for it was great, "How appropriate is it the label the novel a rags to riches story?" I just argued that it was more than that as it focuses on the disillusionment of society in the 1920s. I also mentioned how it was a tragic love story too.
    Section B I did the conflict question with The Kite Runner, Browning and Frost. I'm not too confident with what I wrote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CluelessKatie)
    I did The Great Gatsby for Section A. It was chapter 8 which completely threw me, but I was determined to talk about Gatsby in depth because I love it so much. The Part B for it was great, "How appropriate is it the label the novel a rags to riches story?" I just argued that it was more than that as it focuses on the disillusionment of society in the 1920s. I also mentioned how it was a tragic love story too.
    Section B I did the conflict question with The Kite Runner, Browning and Frost. I'm not too confident with what I wrote.
    What points did you make for Chapter 8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dooobie_)
    What poems did you include for the second Tennyson question and what did you write for The Kite Runner and The Road in the conflict question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i included Tithonus, Lady of Shalott and a little bit of Mariana. errm, for Kite Runner i kinda just talked about the abuse of Hassan's mum in chapter 2, the rape scene and the abuse of sohrab by assef.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FH1)
    What points did you make for Chapter 8?
    For my language paragraph I wrote about the description of Daisy as a "nice girl" and the fact her being with other men "increased her value in his eyes".

For my form paragraph I wrote about the novel being a tragedy with Gatsby's death in the chapter.

For my structure paragraph I wrote about Nick's homedigetic (spelling?) narration and when he says "you're worth the whole damn bunch of them" and the links with money and his unreliablity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chantallehelm)
    I got told it was 72 for an A
    It is 46-84 marks for an A Grade so just over half marks for an A that is 100% fact however some may get there grades back and see a '46' on their results paper and get an E Grade this is because their marks have been converted to UMS if so then you got 17 marks out of 84 which is 46 UMS and an E grade ... if anyone is confused with this feel free to message me for more details

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.