Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What if America never existed? watch

ReputationRep:
    the spanish empire wouldnt have existed, ours would be far smaller... well to be honest the consequences would be endless...

ReputationRep:
    Well China would be ****ed. That's all I can say

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Josh93)
    * The lightbulb might never have been invented and the electrical revolution might never have taken place.

* Hitler would probably have won WW2 and Europe would today be living under a fascist regime.

* We'd all be a lot less fat and global warming probably wouldn't be a major concern.

Edit: All jokes aside I would agree with the post above, your question is ultimately unanswerable.
    The light buld and the 'electrical revolution' aren't american. Secondly I reckon the allies would have still won the war without the US, simply due to russias man power.

ReputationRep:
    No 'Gone With the Wind' movie waaaaa :'(

On a serious note, I don't think it's a question that can be answered. People are too unpredictable to say what might have happened.

ReputationRep:
    Tesla might have sorted us out with light bulbs and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    The light buld and the 'electrical revolution' aren't american. Secondly I reckon the allies would have still won the war without the US, simply due to russias man power.
    Edison most certainly was American and he may not have discovered electricity but he was definitely the first person to really put it to practical use.

Without American there would have been no 'second front' - Britain and Russia alone might eventually have prevailed but I suspect that if had been able to focus solely on Russia then Germany would have won (you only have to look at the figure of 400 odd thousand German casualties compared to 20,000,000 Russian casualties to see that the Russians weren't really using their massive manpower particularly effectively).

I would like to think that we could have won without America but I think it more likely than not that we could not have done so.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Edison most certainly was American and he may not have discovered electricity but he was definitely the first person to really put it to practical use.

Without American there would have been no 'second front' - Britain and Russia alone might eventually have prevailed but I suspect that if had been able to focus solely on Russia then Germany would have won (you only have to look at the figure of 400 odd thousand German casualties compared to 20,000,000 Russian casualties to see that the Russians weren't really using their massive manpower particularly effectively).

I would like to think that we could have won without America but I think it more likely than not that we could not have done so.
    "The first person to put it to practical use" :facepalm:

Before I even go into the electrical pioneers before edison's time, he wasn't even the greatest in his own time. Firstly tesla was the greatest probably of all. Secondly edison did not invent the lightbulb, the lightbulb had been around for a very very long time before he came along. And the lightbulb design he has been credited for was made and patented a full year before edison by a british man named joseph swan.

I'm not saying edison never accomplished anything, but the world have been fine without him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Amukee)
    WTF :eek:

Did he die?

ReputationRep:
    "The first person to put it to practical use" :facepalm:

Before I even go into the electrical pioneers before edison's time, he wasn't even the greatest in his own time. Firstly tesla was the greatest probably of all. Secondly edison did not invent the lightbulb, the lightbulb had been around for a very very long time before he came along. And the lightbulb design he has been credited for was made and patented a full year before edison by a british man named joseph swan.

I'm not saying edison never accomplished anything, but the world have been fine without him.
    Tesla who also did his research in America, for Edison...I'm afraid that I don't know much about Swan but I will definitely look him up - if you're right then that's certainly interesting and I will stand corrected.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Tesla who also did his research in America, for Edison...I'm afraid that I don't know much about Swan but I will definitely look him up - if you're right then that's certainly interesting and I will stand corrected.
    Tesla may have worked in the states, but there's no reason to suggest he couldn't have done the same work in europe.

Also yes it is intersting to know that that the lightbulb was invented roughly a century before edisons bright idea.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ihatebrownbread)

Did he die?
    Yes, it was the tom pryce crash.

ReputationRep:
    Tesla may have worked in the states, but there's no reason to suggest he couldn't have done the same work in europe.

Also yes it is intersting to know that that the lightbulb was invented roughly a century before edisons bright idea.
    You make a compelling argument and as said, I stand corrected - although I suspect I am far from unique in erroneously believing Edison to be chiefly responsible for starting the electric revolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    the spanish empire wouldnt have existed, ours would be far smaller... well to be honest the consequences would be endless...
    spanish empire would still have existed in south america and the caribbean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c_al)
    spanish empire would still have existed in south america and the caribbean
    You are aware of what the Americas are right as in plural? South America is part of the Americas.

ReputationRep:
    I'm tempted to say 'the world would be a lot more peaceful' - but this is untrue. If not America, there would be another tyrannical superpower attempting to subjugate weaker nations in the name of "freedom from terror and dictatorship".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    You are aware of what the Americas are right as in plural? South America is part of the Americas.
    Fair enough. I had misread what the op meant

ReputationRep:
    Christmass would suck, as coca cola wouldnt exist, we'd have the germanic green and brown st nick lol and no roaring red lorries covered in lights!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatebrownbread)

Did he die?
    I would assume so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    How would the world be different if the entirety of the Americas never existed. Columbus found nothing but water and never made it home.

How would the world be different?
    This is dumb. America always existed, and it wasn't 'discovered'. It was stumbled upon. The natives were already in America.

I hate it when people say America was discovered

ReputationRep:
    Well if America didn't exist then we would still be functioning properly as a society. For the things America has done for the world, some other country would replace it and do the things that America would have "Hypothetically" made.

Like Coca Cola and Chocolate chip cookies. Somebody else would probably do it.

I'm sure life would kinda be similar to the way we are now. We do move forward you know, we don't need America for that do we?

**I do apologize if I don't make sense. My head is aching, I'm sleepy and I have an exam tomorrow.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.