B584 - Order of the British Empire (Amendment) Bill 2013 Watch

This discussion is closed.
jjpneed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As if we needed to accelerate our reduction in national pride. I can hardly think of a more frivolous use of parliamentary time.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Republic1)
No, I am suggesting there might be a majority based on the negative association with Empire in the country.
It's certainly not a pressing issue, but it is an issue. I don't see any 'pressing' bills in the house at the minute.
Right so you basically don't know if this is what the public want then and you're basing this entire Bill on the refusals of a few celebrities (in contrast to the vast majority who accept the honours by the way!) I suppose that this just shows how utterly pointless the Bill is.
Indievertigo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This bill aims to tackle the association with the "terrible" Imperialism within our history with regards to these awards. It does not address the association equally terrible Feudalism which we also experienced. Why would that be my right honourable colleagues?

I suggest that the Feudalistic language within the bill is now culturally accepted, indeed this is implied by the fact the writers did not seek to change that.
On that basis I say that removing the imperial language we have is neither here nor there, and this is purely a product of attempting to govern by populism.
Jarred
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This has entered cessation.
Jarred
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This has gone to a second reading.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.41%
No (476)
60.87%
Not really bothered about them (162)
20.72%

Watched Threads