Maths Qualifications Watch

This discussion is closed.
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ShaneJ)
He is not my teacher, the head of maths. In school i don't like to show off about things so i try to keep my self to my self. My maths teacher loves me and thinks i am capable but the HOD dose not
Why does it matter what the head of department thinks? If you're getting practically full marks in all the maths exams, which you obviously must be, why does he want to put you in the infamous 'set 5'?
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2382693

Hmmmmm I had not realised that you have actually failed GCSE Maths

I am going to be honest ... if you were not capable of self teaching yourself GCSE maths to at least a C then you are not going to be able to do A Level Maths
Wow, he's failed GCSE Maths but understands PhD level maths - that's a new one to me :rofl:
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Noble.)
Why does it matter what the head of department thinks? If you're getting practically full marks in all the maths exams, which you obviously must be, why does he want to put you in the infamous 'set 5'?
Perhaps there are an infinite number of sets so set 5 is to all intents and purposes the top group?
ShaneJ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2382693

Hmmmmm I had not realised that you have actually failed GCSE Maths

I am going to be honest ... if you were not capable of self teaching yourself GCSE maths to at least a C then you are not going to be able to do A Level Maths
I think if you read on in that post on an other i eventually got it to an A*, I relised what i was doing wrong in the exam and that was panicking
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think if you read on in that post on an other i eventually got it to an A*, I relised what i was doing wrong in the exam and that was panicking
Come off it, I don't know why you feel the need to be posting this tripe but if you start being genuine on the forum you will actually get some proper help.
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, in that post you say that you failed GCSE maths

At no point in the thread do you suggest that you have retaken and gained an A*
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
I am being serious about the maths. I have got a C in maths however i really do understand more advanced things in maths. The simple things do not entertain me one bit so i just don't bother with them. The HOD dose really dislike me and is being serious about not letting me do A Level maths. Everyday i went to school i had to pretend not to understand the things i do because people are not nice when you are smart. I really do need advice on the whole maths and fm, afm
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If any of this is real

My advice would be

> Move schools to one where you can do A Level maths
> Choose a sensible selection of A Levels to do alongside Maths
> Consider self-studying FM

Do not study for a degree with the OU whilst at school ... this will jeopardise your chances of funding when you want to go to university
Albino
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yh mi 2 init i was tooooooo sik @ maths 4 skool init they kiked mi owt, dat wnt stop me doh i swr init blud im goin 2 stdy mafs at uni, dat flewid dienamiks is eeeezy fam
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am being serious about the maths. I have got a C in maths however i really do understand more advanced things in maths. The simple things do not entertain me one bit so i just don't bother with them. The HOD dose really dislike me and is being serious about not letting me do A Level maths. Everyday i went to school i had to pretend not to understand the things i do because people are not nice when you are smart. I really do need advice on the whole maths and fm, afm
If you're determined to do A-Level maths you can self teach it. Most people who get a C at GCSE Maths will fail A-Level Maths (or, do pretty terribly) - but there's nothing stopping you self-teaching it all and proving the head of department wrong.
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Then you will be unsuccessful at A Level
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
If any of this is real

My advice would be

> Move schools to one where you can do A Level maths
> Choose a sensible selection of A Levels to do alongside Maths
> Consider self-studying FM

Do not study for a degree with the OU whilst at school ... this will jeopardise your chances of funding when you want to go to university
Thanks, The only problem is i have not applied for any other school, what should i do phone some schools up?
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Albino)
yh mi 2 init i was tooooooo sik @ maths 4 skool init they kiked mi owt, dat wnt stop me doh i swr init blud im goin 2 stdy mafs at uni, dat flewid dienamiks is eeeezy fam
I am sorry but i can not understand what you are saying.
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Albino)
Took me five minutes but I finally was able to decode it...
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks, The only problem is i have not applied for any other school, what should i do phone some schools up?
Either contact them now or on results day

One thing that I am now confused about = what GCSE grade in maths do you have / are you waiting for a maths grade in August

If you do only have a fail or a C then ignore my advice as no school will allow you to start A Level maths
J_W-x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

One thing that I am now confused about = what GCSE grade in maths do you have / are you waiting for a maths grade in August

If you do only have a fail or a C then ignore my advice as no school will allow you to start A Level maths
God, TenOfThem! It's pretty simple to understand, he has a fail, C and A* simultaneously :rolleyes:
ShaneJ
Rep:
?

I have a C allready and i resat it in june so a grade in august
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by J_W-x)
God, TenOfThem! It's pretty simple to understand, he has a fail, C and A* simultaneously :rolleyes:
And on top of that he's a cleaver-****. Ouch!
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have a C allready and i resat it in june so a grade in august
If you get a B or above you'll probably be able to do A-Level Maths if you work hard - just self-teach if they refuse to let you sit it in college.
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr M)
And on top of that he's a cleaver-****. Ouch!
What do you mean i am a 'cleaver-****'?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (238)
27.23%
No (636)
72.77%

Watched Threads