Ask me owt on reptiles and insects Watch

SannaS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sphodromantis)
Six legs, with this you Ahave a lot more surface area and more to grip on, this is good for jungle survival with the many textures of the world! This also allows you to remain perfect balance at any angle!

Thanks! So I don't see insets pushing each other as they're unlikely to fall over but what about turtoises, I know they're not insects but why are they so slow? And what's the difference between turtles and turtoises
Sphodromantis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by SannaS)
Thanks! So I don't see insets pushing each other as they're unlikely to fall over but what about turtoises, I know they're not insects but why are they so slow? And what's the difference between turtles and turtoises
Yh, they won't fall over . Tortoises are slow because of their heavy shell, it's pretty hard and heavy, and it covers about 65% of their body, so um, think of it like this, you see those army men with massive bags and heavy armour, well that's how a tortoise is, and because their legs are short and low to the ground, this doesn't help them to get up speed!
The difference between tortoises and turtles is, tortoises stay on land and eat veggies, where as turtles inhabit the sea and eat plankton and tiny fish! Turtles also have flippers for ligaments and hot arms and legs like tortoises!
lascelles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you know anything about giant African land snails?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sphodromantis
Rep:
?
(Original post by lascelles)
Do you know anything about giant African land snails?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A little yes!
lascelles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A little yes!
Awesome! We have one at work, but he (I know it's not a he, he just has that personality lol) hasn't been right this week. He's hardly eaten, and won't really come off his cuttlefish. He usually drinks a lot of water, but hasn't done so this week. Do you reckon there's reason to be worried about him? He's still a young'un, so he shouldn't be on his way out :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sphodromantis
Rep:
?
Awesome! We have one at work, but he (I know it's not a he, he just has that personality lol) hasn't been right this week. He's hardly eaten, and won't really come off his cuttlefish. He usually drinks a lot of water, but hasn't done so this week. Do you reckon there's reason to be worried about him? He's still a young'un, so he shouldn't be on his way out :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, cuttlefish is used for the calcium supplement they require, which allows them to grow, maybe he's stocking up on calcium. Just make sure the temps are right at about room temp and he's getting sprayed and water I his dish. Snails of these type prefer to be in groups and can get bored on their own so this is maybe why he is inactive! I don't think you should worry, if he's still like this after a few days, maybe take him out of him house, give him a shallow bath and let him roam out of his cage for a short while and put him back in, maybe move a couple things if the owner allows you, maybe he just needs to be stimulated or needs more calcium for growth. Calcium though is very important for these guys, and will resort to eating others and themselves to retain their calcium levels! Good luck
lascelles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, cuttlefish is used for the calcium supplement they require, which allows them to grow, maybe he's stocking up on calcium. Just make sure the temps are right at about room temp and he's getting sprayed and water I his dish. Snails of these type prefer to be in groups and can get bored on their own so this is maybe why he is inactive! I don't think you should worry, if he's still like this after a few days, maybe take him out of him house, give him a shallow bath and let him roam out of his cage for a short while and put him back in, maybe move a couple things if the owner allows you, maybe he just needs to be stimulated or needs more calcium for growth. Calcium though is very important for these guys, and will resort to eating others and themselves to retain their calcium levels! Good luck
Yeah, he needs a new cuttlefish as his current one is wearing very thin. We get him out regularly (work in a nursery, kids love him!) but he's not so active. I'll see how he is on Monday morning!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha you should have seen my beardie in his sleeping position last night dangling off the end of his rock and supporting his upper body by just pressing his chin against the glass while his arms dangled in the air :laugh:
Ladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool what kind of office do you work at
Sphodromantis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ladders)
Haha you should have seen my beardie in his sleeping position last night dangling off the end of his rock and supporting his upper body by just pressing his chin against the glass while his arms dangled in the air :laugh:
Haha, they do get into some funny positions! Wish id seen it lol . I know once mine slept on his cactus ball! They are awesome critters! god knows how their comfortable!
Ladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha, they do get into some funny positions! Wish id seen it lol . I know once mine slept on his cactus ball! They are awesome critters! god knows how their comfortable!
Lucky he didn't do his sleep head-bobbing this time
SannaS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yh, they won't fall over . Tortoises are slow because of their heavy shell, it's pretty hard and heavy, and it covers about 65% of their body, so um, think of it like this, you see those army men with massive bags and heavy armour, well that's how a tortoise is, and because their legs are short and low to the ground, this doesn't help them to get up speed!
The difference between tortoises and turtles is, tortoises stay on land and eat veggies, where as turtles inhabit the sea and eat plankton and tiny fish! Turtles also have flippers for ligaments and hot arms and legs like tortoises!
Wow thanks!! I love watching national geographic wild channel with my dad and love watching snakes and lions! And I love sharks and those animals that kill lol, I think the other non killing animals such as insects have you to love them!
Sphodromantis
Rep:
?
Wow thanks!! I love watching national geographic wild channel with my dad and love watching snakes and lions! And I love sharks and those animals that kill lol, I think the other non killing animals such as insects have you to love them!
Well, if you like insects that kill, your best bets are praying mantids, tarantulas and centipedes, centipedes are strong and have a vicious bite! :O. And scorpions!
lascelles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cool what kind of office do you work at
I work in a nursery lol. We're pretty restricted on what pets we can have, so a GALS is perfect. And I love him! I used to being him home every weekend, but now that he's got a bit bigger and moved into a bigger home, it's not so practical any more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you've GOT to watch this

SannaS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you've GOT to watch this

OMG THE VENOM OF THE SNAKE DIDNT EVEN KILL IT! WOW! LIKE WOW! Its run freaks me out though but i think the larger stronger snakes like an anaconda would strangle it!
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OP. You said in another thread you used to be scared of spiders? How did you get over your fear? I'm terrified of them, even the tiny ones! I know they're harmless but they always seem to want to torment me! (just the other day one landed on my head while I was showering! Lol)
Sphodromantis
Rep:
?
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
OP. You said in another thread you used to be scared of spiders? How did you get over your fear? I'm terrified of them, even the tiny ones! I know they're harmless but they always seem to want to torment me! (just the other day one landed on my head while I was showering! Lol)
Ok, let's begin with a thread link but I'll explain my story and how to do it!
http://www.ukmantisforums.co.uk/show...=Spider+phobia
So that's where I started out.
My phobia, I used to be really scared, I couldn't watch tv or read books in which it had a spider in it. I couldn't look or even touch a photo of spider and if I did I had to wash my hands! And if the little spider touch one of stuff, I demanded it to be washed. It was really BAD!
To start. So to what I did was start with photos, look at photos daily, until you feel sick, so what I did was on Facebook, I liked loads of tarantula pages which posted pics daily, so I had no escape, once I felt comfortable with this, I moved on to videos, watched vids of them molting, feeding, moving, and I realised how delicate and emotional these creatures are, they can suffer from DKS, dyskinetic syndrome in which to little stimuli, they violently jerk. At this point, it's terminal like cancer, and they'll soon die.
Once I was happy with the look and ok to look at them, I moved on the real meanies, tarantulas, I have a local reptile shop, so I would watch these guys all day if I could, and they were so cool. Ad then one day, to confirm, I handled a Tarantula, it was scary at first but at the same time awesome, I had this delicate creature in my hand, he was furry and warm, hardly moved ad he feet were really weird, their really sticky as they covered in villi like things which help to grip and lay web, they also have tiny claws on their feet.
Then came the bug shows and I bought a Tarantula, since then, I have been hooked and have bought more T's .
So see what scared you about them,
Stare at it, long and hard
Move on to the real thing
And if you can buy one, THEY ARE AWESOME, and currently mine is molting!! Good luck and I'm here if you need more help.
My links
Website http://smellmymantis.weebly.com/
YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/sircactuscat
CONFRONT YOUR FEAR!
Spoiler:
Show

Cutie!
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The easiest would actually be a Royal Python die to their size and temperament. They a nice handleable snake and easy to look after and when adult usually only need a feed every two weeks. Corn snakes are also good and come in different colour morphs but require more regular feed! Only snakes require mammals. They don't have to be alive necessarily, we only keep them frozen so they last longer as a dead mammal will rot quickly. Dead or not, frozen, we put them in very hot water to replicate boy temp, that way the snake recognises it and will eat it.
I've kept both Royals and Corns (Corns for 22 years) and Royals can be much pickier feeders, going on lengthy feeding strikes. Whilst this does them no harm, it can be very unnerving for a new keeper until they get used to it. I'd start with a Corn, which can be bought from reputable sellers/breeders with feeding records proving that it's an established eater.

My adult Corns eat one adult-sized mouse every 2-3 weeks, so they eat no more frequently than an adult Royal. However, the youngsters of both species need smaller food, more often.

All of my Corns take defrosted mice. This is by far the most convenient and cost-effective type of food for me (I can buy in bulk and they store frozen for months), and freezing has a negligible effect on the nutrient value for the snake. Personally, I wouldn't buy (or sell) a Corn which was eating live or fresh-killed.
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
x
Thanks! Such great advice! I really wish I could see spiders like you do as they are fascinating creatures really. Weirdly I'm not really scared of tarantulas, I see them more a furry little critters than spiders! Though I probably wouldn't like it if one was in my room. What I'm scared of the most is their fast movement and flailing legs... Maybe I'll look at some of those links you posted.. :eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads