My boyfriend still has his Facebook status as "single" and I feel a bit bothered Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by medic_armadillo7)
You are massively over-analyzing this. If you don't want people to know that you're in a relationship don't put it on your profile or rather tell him not to put it on his profile. Having said that, if you are serious about your relationship and are going to spend time together and are in for the medium to long haul then really you have to accept that people will find out about it whether you are on facebook or not, and by trying to hide this fact you may inadvertently bring more attention to yourself as "the girl who didn't want people to know she was going out with XYZ".

I'd say stop over-analyzing minor issues and spend more time being together with your other half.
Wait, what? You seem to be missing the point here. I'm not actively trying to hide my boyfriend from the world, not at all. I've told many people about him; my family, my friends, my workmates, etc. And for that matter, if I wanted people to know about my relationship, I'd rather they heard it straight from me telling them, than just seeing it on a status change on Facebook.

Did you even read my OP properly? The main issue is just my slight annoyance at him keeping his status publicly displaying that he's single despite being in a relationship with me, and I've asked him a few times to at the very least hide it but he won't, I'm guessing out of laziness more than anything.

But I agree with the part where you say I'm over-analyzing a minor issue, which is properly true of me, and I should probably chill and try to stop doing that. Us being LDR is stressful enough for me and that probably makes me feel a bit more insecure about this stuff.
Caits7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He sounds pretty nice, if it really bothers you just ask him to for your own peace of mind and that will be that!
MancBoy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ask him to change it. If he's really against changing it then you know why that single status is there for.
medic_armadillo7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Did you even read my OP properly? The main issue is just my slight annoyance at him keeping his status publicly displaying that he's single despite being in a relationship with me, and I've asked him a few times to at the very least hide it but he won't, I'm guessing out of laziness more than anything.

But I agree with the part where you say I'm over-analyzing a minor issue, which is properly true of me, and I should probably chill and try to stop doing that. Us being LDR is stressful enough for me and that probably makes me feel a bit more insecure about this stuff.
Oh right, sorry big misinterpretation. I thought that you didn't want others to know.

In any case, he's probably just being lazy, not being asked to update his facebook. When I was with my ex-girlfriend (btw we broke over others matters not statuses on facebook), I didn't change my status to "in a relationship" for nearly half a year, mainly cos I couldn't be asked. Bottom line is if you feel you've got something good going, don't hold this against him.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by medic_armadillo7)
Oh right, sorry big misinterpretation. I thought that you didn't want others to know.

In any case, he's probably just being lazy, not being asked to update his facebook. When I was with my ex-girlfriend (btw we broke over others matters not statuses on facebook), I didn't change my status to "in a relationship" for nearly half a year, mainly cos I couldn't be asked. Bottom line is if you feel you've got something good going, don't hold this against him.
Thanks for your input and confirming what I'd suspected. I will let not it be a big deal for now and mainly just concentrate on the relationship, but I'd still like to one day find a way to somehow tactfully get him to change it without me coming across as nagging or controlling.
deedee123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it depends really, if he was an avid facebook user who was updating everything everyday but refused to change his relationship status then i'd find it weird, but if he's hardly ever on it/not bothered with it then it doesn't matter.
Anonymous #4
Report 5 years ago
i'm having the same kind of "problem" though it's not really a problem. Mine's hidden and has been for ages. I've been with my current bf about 4 months but seeing him over a year. His status is still single but I know he hardly uses fb and is lovely in real life haha. I haven't bought it up as I don't want to nag. I wouldnt want to tag him in a relationship either but maybe hiding it or putting that you are in a relationship would be nice. I think it's also too soon... I think if we are still together come December then I might change mine but I'll leave it hidden for now. I don't think it's anything to worry about.... some people obviously don't see it as a problem at all... and I dont either but it does bother me/ worry me a little for reasons like other girls or ex gfs seeing his single status but yeah he shows absolutely no signs of being a bad guy! If it really starts to bother me I may bring it up in jokingly but im happy enought at the moment.
Classical Liberal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
Facebook is not real.
Facebook is not a place for anything meaningful.
Facebook is irrelevant to real life.

Just enjoy what you have.
That is stupid.

Facebook is real.

Facebooks has lots of important things on it, like access to almost everybody you know and the ability to find things out about these people.

Facebook affects our lives. People talk about what is on each others pages all the time.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
My partner doesn't care about what his Facebook says, but we got that much grief from our friends for being "single" we decided to change it.

It means nothing, so long as he's open about the fact that you're in a relationship when you're together and with each other's friends etc, but I would say that if it really meant THAT much to you, I don't see why he wouldn't change it.
YeFool
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
it's facebook ffs
get a life
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.83%
No (516)
72.17%

Watched Threads