Do universities work on a first come first serve basis??? Watch

returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fluteflute)
This may well be true at your institution, but do you know this is the case at all RG universities?
ALL Universities adhere to this fundamental requirement from UCAS.
katie55
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fluteflute)
This may well be true at your institution, but do you know this is the case at all RG universities?
This was not directed at me but I got into three RG uni's and two 1994 group uni's when I applied in June so I would say the January deadline is fine for them as a great deal of the RG group were still available in Extra so I could apply to them as well in June, the only one's that I noticed you couldn't apply to were the top few in the country so Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, St Andrews, Warwick, UCL, then Bath and Exeter I think everywhere else was still open for applications and it would be daft of them to have a limit on the applications because what if an amazing applicant comes by who applied in January (with the exception of Oxbridge) I doubt they would turn someone down when the deadline is not up.
Maudee4567
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just wanted to say that it's obvious then that it doesn't matter and no preference is given,following the video linked from nottingham admission tutor and the others that commented on here BUTif you apply earlier, you are more likely to get your answer quicker and hence have less waiting and more importantly you have it over and done with so you can concentrate on you studies in order to maximise your chance of meeting offers Not saying you should rush things or anthing, just saying that it won't do any harm to sort everything out a soon as possible.
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Put it this way, if you love your subject so much and would absolutely die to study it (as you'll be writing about in your PS) then it doesn't really back this up if your applying right on the deadline does it? It shows more enthusiasm applying early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
YearRetaker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bloxorus)
Put it this way, if you love your subject so much and would absolutely die to study it (as you'll be writing about in your PS) then it doesn't really back this up if your applying right on the deadline does it? It shows more enthusiasm applying early.
They wouldn't think like that would they though ? No. They'll understand some people make the decision to apply to university later / aren't sure what subject they want to study and a whole host of other reasons that make your comment kinda obsolete bro.
3mmz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
when is the best time to apply for university?

around mid october?
Konflict
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I heard that, while it's not first come first serve, you would have a higher chance getting a place if you applied earlier than someone who sends their application in, say, December.

The university will receive early candidates first, and evaluate them. They'll offer places to the people they want to offer places to! The grade requirement may be AAA - they have loads of places free, since applications just opened.

As time progressed, however, more places are offered - there are less free spaces. Now, the university may decide to be picky about who they select. They'll want to choose the very best from the remaining candidates. The offer may now be an A*AA.

I'm not sure whether this is true, but it does certainly make sense. Fewer places towards the end mean that the standards will get set higher.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Konflict)
I heard that, while it's not first come first serve, you would have a higher chance getting a place if you applied earlier than someone who sends their application in, say, December.

The university will receive early candidates first, and evaluate them. They'll offer places to the people they want to offer places to! The grade requirement may be AAA - they have loads of places free, since applications just opened.

As time progressed, however, more places are offered - there are less free spaces. Now, the university may decide to be picky about who they select. They'll want to choose the very best from the remaining candidates. The offer may now be an A*AA.

I'm not sure whether this is true, but it does certainly make sense. Fewer places towards the end mean that the standards will get set higher.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post43595341
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Konflict)

I really hope this isnt true as im applying jan 9th as soon as i get my math gcse result (need atleast a B). Obvs im starting my PS early in november but im sending it off in jan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends from uni to uni would assume but it is more on a rolling basis i.e. very good applicants will get accepted very bad ones rejected soon after sending off application.

People in between will have to wait.
Justify2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by electriic_ink)
The sooner you apply the better. It shouldn't take more than a month to write a PS: it's only one page.

Because generally, the better candidates apply earlier and unis know students like getting responses as early as they can.
Evidence?
Bloxorus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by YearRetaker)
They wouldn't think like that would they though ? No. They'll understand some people make the decision to apply to university later / aren't sure what subject they want to study and a whole host of other reasons that make your comment kinda obsolete bro.
They want people who absolutely love the subject and people who are torn between a few subjects and only just decide on one by the UCAS deadline obviously do not want to study it as much as someone keen enough to finish their personal statement in July and get their application in on the first day. Top universities will see this in applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed