Is chart music going through a good patch? Watch

username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
exactly my problems about pop music. I don't listen to chart music. I have a selection of artists and I'm not a hipster to just go on random people's music. But take for example justin timberlake mirrors. There are much better songs on the album, strawberry bubblegum, hold the wall, groove but mirrors gets it because it's catchy compared to those songs and more poppy. Although strawberry bubblegum really should get a video. Annoys me the **** music that comes out.

At least rudimental and disclosure are doing it atm.
Exactly, you're just selling a product with pop music, it is a business first and foremost, it's laughable when people think it's good. It can be, but generally it's not.

JT's album was actually quite good though I thought, shame he's so cheesy with his lyrics. The music was pretty good, nice production, reminded me a little bit of Outkast in places.
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Exactly, you're just selling a product with pop music, it is a business first and foremost, it's laughable when people think it's good. It can be, but generally it's not.

JT's album was actually quite good though I thought, shame he's so cheesy with his lyrics. The music was pretty good, nice production, reminded me a little bit of Outkast in places.
Yeah he did have a good album. Think future sex love sounds was better though. What goes around and lovestoned are my favourite JT songs.

I miss outkast man. Andre 3000's flow was just so good, his voice fits his flow and big boi complemented him well, it's not an annoying sound like little wayne e.g. and he doesn't bang one liners per 8 bar and 6 bars of nonsense.
manchesterunited15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep, I'd say it's the opposite. 95% of people are ****ing idiots. Ergo when a lot of them like something collectively there is a strong chance it is ****. There are exceptions. Not many (Led Zeppelin, jeans, Coca Cola.)
Makes no sense.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by manchesterunited15)
Makes no sense.
It's true though.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's true though.
There can't be more than half of people classed as idiots, just isn't possible.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 4RealBlud)
Don't mean to be pedantic, but isn't whether if something is good all a matter of opinion? Therefore, since chart music is the music that most people think is good in their opinion, wouldn't that make chart music always good? Since, you know, it's the kind of music that more people think is good than any other music.
No, there is an objective element to it; for instance this:

is better than this:

There's no opinion in that - the Dark Tranquility song is technically much better - it's far harder to play (that breakdown is a finger-breaker if ever there was one) - the vocals are far harder to produce, let alone master: growled vocals are the hardest thing to produce well.

As far as music goes, What Only You Know is far better than Boyfriend. Popularity - Boyfriend out does it by far, but that doesn't make it good - what makes a song good is the actual song, not it's popularity.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
No, there is an objective element to it; for instance this:

is better than this:

There's no opinion in that - the Dark Tranquility song is technically much better - it's far harder to play (that breakdown is a finger-breaker if ever there was one) - the vocals are far harder to produce, let alone master: growled vocals are the hardest thing to produce well.

As far as music goes, What Only You Know is far better than Boyfriend. Popularity - Boyfriend out does it by far, but that doesn't make it good - what makes a song good is the actual song, not it's popularity.
I don't think you define good music by how hard it is to play, you define it by if you like listening to it. As more people like listening to Boyfriend, that makes it better.
Sammy Lanka
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think you define good music by how hard it is to play, you define it by if you like listening to it. As more people like listening to Boyfriend, that makes it better.
It not difficulty. It's how clever the music is. All pop songs are four chord crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sammy Lanka)
It not difficulty. It's how clever the music is. All pop songs are four chord crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It still doesn't matter. When you're eating a meal in a restaurant you don't think "this was made in a clever way", you think "this tastes good".
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No

Chart music is the worst is has been for a while.

That Naughty Boy track was decent tho!

I'm not trying to be negative about chart music, but music is an industry. The well known artists are usually the ones on a label, they don't particularly make music they want to make, they make music the label wants them to make.

You really think Dizzee Rascal WANTS to make music with Robbie Williams when he used to make music like this.

Sheldor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cl_steele)
i stand by they havent been able to make good music since the 70s... all this new crap is about drugs, ****ing and popping caps in ****** ass's... its ****.
I think you're either getting your decades or charts mixed up. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't mind chart music but radio stations need to realise there are more artists than just Pink, Daft Punk and Justin Timberlake.
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sheldor)
I think you're either getting your decades or charts mixed up. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like my chart music from atime long passed, they had video killed the radio star etc. etc. what do we have? somesong about gunning down other rappers or how many hoes in cali one can tap... see my point now?
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got to disagree - good is a measure of quality, quality is entirely dependent on the piece itself - that DT song has far more quality to it than Bieber.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got to disagree - good is a measure of quality, quality is entirely dependent on the piece itself - that DT song has far more quality to it than Bieber.
In your opinion - more people will have the opposite opinion, why is yours more valid?
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In your opinion - more people will have the opposite opinion, why is yours more valid?
No, not in my opinion - it's fact. That DT song makes use of a harder vocal style, the music is technically far harder to perform - it's got more quality to it.
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Justin Bieber's fans don't like him for his music, they like him.

He could sing any ****, and people would still buy his music. He's being marketed. Same goes for most artists.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, not in my opinion - it's fact. That DT song makes use of a harder vocal style, the music is technically far harder to perform - it's got more quality to it.
How hard it is doesn't really matter. To use the same analogy as earlier - if you're eating in a restaurant you don't think "this meal was hard to make", you think "this meal tastes nice". Only difference is people are more snobby about music.
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
They have an old school uk garage feel to them
Yep definitely

Garage and house vibes

love them
Sammy Lanka
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a general guide anyone on vevo is in it for the money rather than the music

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.69%
No (665)
60.62%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.69%

Watched Threads