i can't tell my family i'm an atheist Watch

Hopple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends how old you are and how much you need your parents. If you're reasonably self-sufficient then tell them, but if you're still living with them so will see them all the time then it's probably best to keep quiet about it and pretend for now, or at least stop starting confrontations - you know nobody's going to 'win' such an argument, but your parents can certainly make sure you lose.
jaffa1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
s
i had the same problem, not so much telling my parents that i didnt believe in judaism anymore, but i actually had more of a problem telling myself that i didn't believe in judaism.

solution? i call myself a jewish atheist. i still vow to stay in the jewish community, keep jewish customs which i like keeping, marry a jewish girl etc and i still view myself as culturally jewish, but i dont believe in god.

also read up on Darwin, it's a lot easier to tell your parents "i believe in science" than "i don't believe in god", you can leave god out of it for the mean time
Ry_p94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jaffa1)
i had the same problem, not so much telling my parents that i didnt believe in judaism anymore, but i actually had more of a problem telling myself that i didn't believe in judaism.

solution? i call myself a jewish atheist. i still vow to stay in the jewish community, keep jewish customs which i like keeping, marry a jewish girl etc and i still view myself as culturally jewish, but i dont believe in god.

also read up on Darwin, it's a lot easier to tell your parents "i believe in science" than "i don't believe in god", you can leave god out of it for the mean time
Would you insist on that? If so, why? If you fell for a girl who wasn't Jewish you would want her to convert despite neither of you believing in the religion? That seems very odd to me.
jaffa1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ry_p94)
Would you insist on that? If so, why? If you fell for a girl who wasn't Jewish you would want her to convert despite neither of you believing in the religion? That seems very odd to me.
i don't think i will bother to get married at all so i simply would be in a long term relationship without feeling the need to marry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (252)
27.21%
No (674)
72.79%

Watched Threads