Turn on thread page Beta

Medical School Cost watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody please give me an accurate figure for what i will come out of school with if i do go to Oxford. Assuming I pinch my pennies as much as possible , don't drink or do weed or buy any new stuff. Basically Accom+Food .

ReputationRep:
    According to the Student Finance Calculator I'm eligible for a £6000 maintenance grant.

ReputationRep:
    Does the NHS Bursary help with Living Costs?

Also according to this I will get 1k a year bursary from Oxford

http://www.ox.ac.uk/feesandfunding/u...t/oob/oob2012/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlondHair)
    Does the NHS Bursary help with Living Costs?

Also according to this I will get 1k a year bursary from Oxford

http://www.ox.ac.uk/feesandfunding/u...t/oob/oob2012/
    Yes, but only in the final two years.

Anything titled "bursary" or "grant" is non-repayable, anything called "loan" is repayable usually with interest.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BlondHair)
    Can somebody please give me an accurate figure for what i will come out of school with if i do go to Oxford. Assuming I pinch my pennies as much as possible , don't drink or do weed or buy any new stuff. Basically Accom+Food .
    No one can give you an accurate figure as it depends on what Accommodation is available in your college and their prices.
    Accommodation will be around £100 a week = £2400 per year
    Food depends as well on College prices and how much you want to cook or eat out, but £1500 per year should be reasonable.

(By year I mean 3 8-week terms)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It's very good compared with other types of debt though. Look at interest rates and T&Cs for a mortgage, a commercial loan, a credit card or wonga.com (or similar) and a student loan is very favourable by comparison.

Given that your alternatives are a)not going to med school or b)working till you can pay up front, it's a no-brainer, really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True true.

I am planning on paying back, at least a portion, of the tuition fees back to SLC every year. Do you think its a good idea to get a part-time job during term time? There appears to be mixed feelings about this on other threads.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lionheartat20)
    If you borrow £36,000 (£9000 a year for tuition fees) - you could end up re-paying over £75,000+
    I don't think that is a good deal at all. Maybe it is relative to other loans (albeit mortages are better!) - tuition fees only used to be £3,000 a year .... Not only are we paying three times the amount, the interest rates on what is a large amount of money is terrible anyway.

That said, there is not much we can do about it if you want to go to med school, although we are still paying £75,000 + for a £36,000 loan, for what used to cost £12,000 only 2 or 3 years ago!
    This.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I found this online if anyones interested:

http://www.thevictoriafoundation.org...ical-bursaries

I think I read somewhere that they give you a 1K bursary, and £250 for books. Its worth making an application, but its rather vague what the eligibility criteria is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent.)
    True true.

I am planning on paying back, at least a portion, of the tuition fees back to SLC every year. Do you think its a good idea to get a part-time job during term time? There appears to be mixed feelings about this on other threads.
    It depends on the job and on your university. It's feasible to do some part-time work alongside the first few years, though Oxbridge do not allow this. I worked in the summer holidays each year, but never made enough for it to be worth making a significant dent in my student loan - the money was more use to me at the time for living costs than for paying off my loan.

Once you are at clinical school it is harder to do paid work because you will be doing longer hours, often on placement away from your university city, and will have much shorter holidays.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TheStudent.)
    Its honestly, honestly not worth it. Even if you insist on spending your youth earning amounts of money that will frankly be insignificant later when you could be enjoying yourself... at least put it towards something more useful like having a smaller mortgage. Or having enough money to buy a car when you need one. Risk-free credit is not easy to come by - i strongly recommend making the most of it!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Its honestly, honestly not worth it. Even if you insist on spending your youth earning amounts of money that will frankly be insignificant later when you could be enjoying yourself... at least put it towards something more useful like having a smaller mortgage. Or having enough money to buy a car when you need one. Risk-free credit is not easy to come by - i strongly recommend making the most of it!
    You've given me a lot to think about :^_^: thanks for the advice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 24, 2013

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.