Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you could be exceptionally good at ONE subject...which one? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You can make a good living in any subject nowadays. However, a prerequisite is this: you must love it so much that you can dedicate your life to it. Then, create a business using your knowledge of a subject you love. If I only knew which one it is...maybe it is not even existing at the moment. Maybe I'll find myself somewhere in the crossroads of science and programming doing something novel.

A plus is that I know which subjects I don't like and thus would not be good at. Yet, there are many more which I dabbled in and could not keep my attention for long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Languages :smug:
    Ditto. I was going to state Maths but Languages are my biggest passion so there's no contest.

ReputationRep:
    Divination ...if it was a subject :sigh:

But English.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English. I'd love to be able to just come out with amazing writing, write some great articles, become a journalist, whatever.

Unfortunately I picked some pretty dire A level subjects as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valentas)
    You can make a good living in any subject nowadays. However, a prerequisite is this: you must love it so much that you can dedicate your life to it. Then, create a business using your knowledge of a subject you love. If I only knew which one it is...maybe it is not even existing at the moment. Maybe I'll find myself somewhere in the crossroads of science and programming doing something novel.

A plus is that I know which subjects I don't like and thus would not be good at. Yet, there are many more which I dabbled in and could not keep my attention for long.
    Pretty much this. I'm sure Maths would open many doors for me, but ultimately, I hate the subject and anything to do with it

ReputationRep:
    Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Physics or maybe Music. I've always wished that I was a talented musician :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Economics. I could rule the world.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Music, I love it so much but I wish I was good enough to play professionally! Other than that, maths would be useful, and I want to do physics at uni...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    Ditto. I was going to state Maths but Languages are my biggest passion so there's no contest.
    :five: only the coolest :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Physics. I'm actually good at the subject, lolo only just finished GCSE so we'll see if I'm saying that at A-Level, and only recently realised I like it. I partially screamed the garden down when I saw a Perseid's meteor last night, that's embarrassing, k I'll leave now.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh this is hard. Languages maybe, because that would just be amazing. Or maths, because being a genius in maths also helps in loads of other subjects.

Or to go down another route, music/art because I'm definitely more academic rather than the 'arty' type so it would be different and interesting to be a musically gifted kid or great at art.

ReputationRep:
    Maths

Because I suck at it, and wish I didn't

ReputationRep:
    physics or chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPL9457)
    i always wondered, what would you program as a hobby?
    Off of the top of my head i can think of:
    A Whole Website - Scripts, CMS, APIs
    Create Games - 2D, 3D, Isometric, Textbased, RPG, MMORPG
    Game Clients - client that hangs off of the game and interfaces with it
    Practice Problem Solving - http://projecteuler.net/problems
    Apps - Iphone, Android etc...
    Freelancer - write programs / scripts and sell them
    Configs & Tools - write scripts to automate tasks on your PC / do things for you

ReputationRep:
    Maths or the sciences

ReputationRep:
    Psychology or philosophy, I can't decide!

ReputationRep:
    Languages, would be brilliant to be multi-lingual.

ReputationRep:
    Music

But saying that, I'm not sure what they even teach in music. Playing instruments is much better than solving stupid maths equations that nobody cares about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youbonkers)
    Music :yep:

Always loved it so much but I've never been good enough to do it seriously!

So I'm doing physics instead, guess it would be kind of handy to be exceptional at that now
    Music's hardly a subject tbf, at least at secondary school level.

Physics would be mine too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.