Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Alcohol... You people like this stuff? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah don't go straight to spirits! Most teenagers start drinking bacardi breezers and other alcopops and gradually get used to it that way. I'm 25 nearly and only recently became able to drink wine having drank lambrini and white spritzer for a while, you just get used to the taste.

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit like coffee, as you get older you tend to get used the taste of it and you start liking it a little more.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Try Kopparberg strawberry and lime and Hooch. I'm similar to you, but I love these drinks :drool:
    Try Bulmers crushed red grape

ReputationRep:
    I've been drinking for what I will euphemistically call 'a while' and I'm still no fan of the vast majority of spirits, but plenty of things do tickle the taste buds.

If you're bothered, you'll carry on trying different things.
    If you're not, you won't.

End of the day, it doesn't matter. Only do it if you want to, not because peer pressure tells you you have to or any other such nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    You should start with fruit cider (apple perhaps?), it tastes really good though the first time it's a bit bitter. Also, how much rum did you put in your coke that it tastes bitter? It's fine for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, your tastebuds develop. That being said, I will never like rum and coke - I find it awful.

I started out with wine. I was allowed half a glass of red wine with dinner sometimes by my parents (when I was 17) - they wanted me to get used to having wine with food as to give me a healthy relationship with alcohol (rather than having my first vodka at some home party). I didn't care for it much at first, but yes it has definitely grown on me.
    Now I love wine (red, white rosé) and almost always have it with food.

Other than that I will drink Gin Tonic or occasionally a cocktail.

I definitely think it is something that develops. I didn't like caviar or other types of seafood first time I tried it. Not olives either. But I've 'trained' myself by eating varied food, and now I like practically everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I haven't drunk alcohol before and I was getting a lot of people asking me why I don't drink. I didn't really have a reason for this, and considering i'd never tasted it I thought it was a bit strict of me to decide not to drink it.

So an opportunity came up recently and I thought i'd have a Coca-Cola and rum. I love coke but when you add rum it makes almost undrinkable. I honestly don't know how you can enjoy it. I then tried a vodka and lemonade, thinking that vodka may have less of a taste, but that was also not too nice.

I gave it one last stab and I had a cocktail with tequila in. This was OK but still, it's not something that I would enjoy to drink. It's not something you can take big mouthfuls of!

(Obviously they were not all one after the other!)

So does the taste of alcohol grow on you or something? I really don't understand how people can get addicted to this stuff- I can't even see why people would drink it in a restaurant instead of something that tasted nice. I was expecting it to be really good considering how much people obsess over it, but it was a bit of a disappointment!
    Alcohol can be a grower, there are certain drinks i've come to like over time (whiskey, rum etc) but the softer alcohols i've loved since i was young. a decent ale, bitter, stout etc to me is just as if not more drinkable than my favorite soft drinks and often drink a pint or two just for the taste.

The effects are what a lot of people drink it for more so than the taste but thats not to say you can't find "your tipple" and enjoy it for that reason.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    If you dislike vodka and rum you could trying add less of it to your lemonade/coke, vodka is almost unnoticeable in small amounts. I personally enjoy bacardi and coke, that may be worth a try.

I guess just try different things, everybody has different taste buds so like different drinks and different mixes. Plus you're young enough that your taste buds may still change.

ReputationRep:
    Rums quite strong, start with spirits like WKD. That's quite weak and taste like fruit juice or Smirnoff ice

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit of a strange one for me. I am a mature student so obviously I'm older, but I remember when I first began going out to the pub at the age of 16, up until the age of about 23, and being able to drink absolutely loads. I was a typical young binge drinker. I lost a little weight and now I find if I have more than one bottle of weak beer or wine, I'm feeling drunk, so I have to avoid alcohol at all costs. I like all the varied tastes and types of alcoholic drinks you can buy; but I just can't drink it anymore, and I have no idea why it changed so suddenly. I guess I'm grateful because honestly, it's really the opposite of what you need to have fun, not to mention it's increasingly prohibitively expensive.

ReputationRep:
    u think coca cola is healthy lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    18. I tried beer too but I one sip was enough for me to not even try another sip.

(Original post by Pyoro)
    I'm also 18 and despite 3 years of habituation, I still don't like beer. But I used to hate wine, and now I don't mind it. And I quite like liqueurs and spirits+juices, as long as they taste lightly of alcohol. It's just a bit different to having them without alcohol.

So the older you get, the more you'll get to like various drinks. Usually.
    Out of interest, what beers are you guys drinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Try Bulmers crushed red grape
    It's vile :vomit:

ReputationRep:
    My favourites: Amaretto and coke, Southern Comfort and coke or lemonade, Corona. Some wines are nice too, my favourite type is rose. If you're going for cocktails, then maybe try something without tequila, maybe one with fruit juices in.

You do get used to drinking alcohol though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callumhamby)
    Its a bit like coffee, as you get older you tend to get used the taste of it and you start liking it a little more.
    You say that but I've liked coffee since I first tried it sometime around year 6 of primary school I think. Alcohol I only like ale and some lagers but I don't like being drunk so I rarely drink, cider was something a lot of people drank in their teens and since they've got to age 18 I've found many went off it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    It's vile :vomit:
    Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    I only really enjoy fruity flavoured alcohol, though that's because the flavour is so nice, it doesn't leave the horrible taste or sensation that drinks such as lager or vodka leave behind. I know people say you get used to drinking other things but quite honestly I don't really want to force myself to drink crap until it tastes okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Fair enough
    I hate cider recently and it's too strong cider haha

ReputationRep:
    To me, there is nothing more refreshing than an ice cold beer after a long day...

ReputationRep:
    Have a mans man drink a proper pint much better than spirits as you don't end up in be by 10

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.