Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm worried that there are no jobs out there :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    I thought you were 16! :eek3: No idea why haha! I'm 26 bruv! Pleased to meet you again :hmmm: How's it hanging in southwark? I'm going to mile end today. Can't wait! Gonna be doing exercise in my new weighted vest :cool:
    16?! :eek: Why you thought I'm 16? Because of my behaviour? :lolwut::teehee: No fresh meat in Southwark, I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    16?! :eek: Why you thought I'm 16? Because of my behaviour? :lolwut::teehee: No fresh meat in Southwark, I'm afraid
    fresh meat? i'm a straight dude! not into guys! eewwww

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    fresh meat? i'm a straight dude! not into guys! eewwww
    Why you assume I was talking about hooking up? :lolwut: And no, I'm not trying to seduce you gosh :hmmm: Don't you eww on me! :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiendFyre)
    Go for a charity close to your home, and it will be even better if it is well known. Apply online for primark to of my friends who are 18 have had intervies which led to one getting a job. It will be hard since they got interviews on their 8-10th application. Though depnding in your age it will be difficult as i have not seen or heard of anyone working in Primark who is under 18.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am only 16 and have been working in Primark for a while now.... The pay of £4.68 seemed good at first because I was getting payed much more than most 16 year olds, but when you realise how much other people are earning it is rubbish. Primark have also failed to sort my tax out, so I am still being emergency taxed, even though I am not even supposed to be tax !!!!

In contrast the staff who work for Primark are some of the most kind and friendly people I have ever met, and the mangers get down to hard graft too, so in that respect we all do the same amount of work. When I first started, everybody knew my name, and made me fell so welcome, especially because I was the youngest person working there, with most of the staff being 18 or above. There are also loads of people to ask if you are unsure of what break you should be taking or have any general concerns. And even the store manager is friendly and approachable.

Before getting my first job at Primark, I had been rejected by many places, for no obvious reasons. This was very disheartening, but when I got an interview at Primark, after manyapplication to Primark itself, I was really enthusiastic and motivated. After the interview, I knew I hadn't got the job, because the woman who interviewed me made it pretty clear she had already made up her mind. This left me feeling quite **** to be honest, after being rejected by everywhere. Even after this I still kept applying for Primark. I must of applied at least 100 times until I finally got another interview, in which I was interviewed by the same woman. I'm not sure if she remembered me, but this time seemed positive towards my application. The following day I received a phone call for which i very grateful, informing me that I had managed to get the job.

On starting at Primark, I attended an induction day, which outlined Primark protocol, which would have been exceptionally helpful if my store had actually stuck to it. With regards to the actual training, it was pretty much learn on the job, so having the confidence to ask questions was key. You must also be flexible about where you are working in the store, as time change quickly so you may be moved around departments, or put onto a till. I am designated till staff so most of my shift consists of serving customers, which can become tedious as you are not allowed to move away from your position at the till bank, even during quiet periods.

Shifts in Primark mainly consist of 4 hours or 8 hours, and overtime is really easy to come by, thank god, as I am only employed under a 4 Hour weekend contact. You may think that it's not alot but with all the overtime I get, I am usually working the legal limit of 37.5 hours a week.

So all in all I like working in Primark, but I would really like something better paid with less customers who want discount of the cheapest of clothes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiendFyre)
    Yes there are jobs out there, I recently finished my GCSEs and began giving out my CVs in early July. Unfortunately I was unable to get a job during summer but just got a job right now at Matalan. So it is possible, just be persistent and print of loads of CVs and hand them out at the beginning of each month to the same stores.

You might think why? A manager will see that you are motivated in getting a job and may or may not hire. Eventually it will pay off and I got my job like this so you might aswell.
    I done the similar thing, but not many stores got back to me, and what would you do if you didn't get any response?

ReputationRep:
    Do a degree with a placement year then you'll get 12 months working experience to hand to employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oobiemoobie)
    People are hiring, it's just there are so many people that need jobs it can be competitive.

When you say saving up for uni, what do you mean exactly? If you're talking about tuition then get a student loan, you can also apply for a maintenance loan to help with the cost of living. My maintenance loan serves me very well - I eat well, pay rent and have a social life without any job on the side. So a job isn't a necessity, but it would be helpful to save up some cash just to help you out; and helpful to get work experience!

Start with google and go for the major companies - shops like Boots, McDonalds and the like all have an online recruitment system. Also get a CV together, do some voluntary work maybe if you're struggling for things to put on there. Go around town and ask about jobs.

Things aren't amazing in the jobs market, but they're not as bad as you might think.
    Thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    Depends how clever you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Let me just say something. Stop watching the news and reading the newspapers.

If you believed everything they said you would think practically all but a few are in poverty, everyone is getting paid peanuts, and everyone is generally miserable. Don't take these things too seriously. One of the perceptions the media has created is that there are no jobs anywhere. There are jobs and there are opportunities. Granted, not as much as before, but it isn't the armageddon scenario the media would like us to believe. Life really isn't that bad despite the failing economy.
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Milkround is a good student website to find jobs on: http://www.milkround.com/rep1179285

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flowerfobia)
    Hi tsr! Can someone please reply and advice how i could get a job? Im starting year 12 soon and need a job, with the money i earn it would help me pay for books and school equipment. I really need a job. Ive tried applying online several times, most never reply i even sent the job application with a cv! Can someone please advice me how i could get a job asap. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Persistence. There are a lot of places that'll hire 16-year-old who only want 16-hours a week in between study. Go into your local town, print off 30-odd CV's and hand them out to all the shops and restaurants-my friend did this and got 3 interviews the same week. Ask for waiting/bar/dish-washing work at the local pubs and cafes. Fast-food places (McDonalds, KFC etc.) are a good bet too-they're not "easy to get" like a lot of people seem to think but they're often very flexible with hours. Just keep trying, ask for someone to proofread your CV to make sure everything is correct spelling and grammar wise and be persistent. Ask for feedback if you get rejected too, as it can often be useful. Bottom line; it may be hard, but hard work will hopefully pay off.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.