Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys: Girls next door or supermodels? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which kinds of girls do you prefer?
    Girls next door
    84.13%
    Supermodels
    15.87%

ReputationRep:
    The girl next door look appears attainable for the average man, I think that is going to influence it much more than looks. Lets be honest, most supermodels wouldn't glance twice at the average British man.

ReputationRep:
    Girl next door. I don't like girls who go all out to make themselves as attractive as possible. Girls that are naturally pretty but aren't noticed by that many people.

ReputationRep:
    Girl next door any day.

The thing with supermodels is that it looks somewhat fake, or at least you know in most cases that a lot of their real appearance is masked by cosmetics and several other things.

Plus, the girl who lives next door to me is actually really pretty

ReputationRep:
    Also, I would like to address the people who are saying that boys go after the "girl next door" rather than supermodels because supermodels are unattainable.

Yes, of course, supermodels to a large extent are unattainable for us "simpletons". However, it is not the unattain-ability that is the issue. The main problem for me is that those supermodel looks are, like I said in my previous post, artificial. The models rely a lot on cosmetics, face lifts, in some cases surgery, extreme dieting and many other things. As a result, their natural looks are somewhat lost and indeed, in terms of a healthy lifestyle, they are physically not in great shape, although they may look really good. As they age, the amazing looks quickly fade and because of their rather poor lifestyle choices, their appearance in their mid-30's or early 40's can become quite dreadful. You just need to skip through several previous supermodels to find this out.

In contrast, regular girls who eat well, stay healthy, exercise and don't cake themselves in make up look so much better. After all, you want to wake up next to someone who looks naturally pretty in the morning and doesn't have to rely on their vast expanse of make up options in order to look half decent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superduper9)
    Also, I would like to address the people who are saying that boys go after the "girl next door" rather than supermodels because supermodels are unattainable.

Yes, of course, supermodels to a large extent are unattainable for us "simpletons". However, it is not the unattain-ability that is the issue. The main problem for me is that those supermodel looks are, like I said in my previous post, artificial. The models rely a lot on cosmetics, face lifts, in some cases surgery, extreme dieting and many other things. As a result, their natural looks are somewhat lost and indeed, in terms of a healthy lifestyle, they are physically not in great shape, although they may look really good. As they age, the amazing looks quickly fade and because of their rather poor lifestyle choices, their appearance in their mid-30's or early 40's can become quite dreadful. You just need to skip through several previous supermodels to find this out.

In contrast, regular girls who eat well, stay healthy, exercise and don't cake themselves in make up look so much better. After all, you want to wake up next to someone who looks naturally pretty in the morning and doesn't have to rely on their vast expanse of make up options in order to look half decent
    What are you on about?
    Most models look amazing without makeup, you don't know anything about the fashion industry.

ReputationRep:
    girl next door by far, give me a girl with a bit of meat on her bones. I dont mean fat but theres nothing wrong with not having flat stomach

ReputationRep:
    Anna Kournikova is 'the girl next door'?

I want to live where OP lives.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see much of a difference between the photos, both girls look pretty.

What do people define as 'super model' appearance..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mericcup)
    I don't really see much of a difference between the photos, both girls look pretty.

What do people define as 'super model' appearance..?
    At the risk of sounding really objectifying, "girl next door" prettiness usually refers to attractiveness without being too in your face about it, not necessarily in the sense of wearing less make up but being, say, that person you know at your workplace who happens to be fairly attractive as well. Something guys might describe as a 7 or 8 out of 10. They might have a few "imperfect" features but they're still quite pretty.

Models, on the other hand (at least some of them, I agree that fashion as opposed to lingerie ones look way too thin) are often picked because of their "flawlessness" and having amazingly striking features - e.g. huge lips and eyes, very slim figures with almost perfect skin, that sort of thing. What would be described a 9 or 10 out of 10. They're usually tall as it's more eye-catching, but regardless they're still the kinds of girls who could walk into a room with no make up on and still turn heads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Anna Kournikova is 'the girl next door'?

I want to live where OP lives.
    In your basement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :lolwut:

What kind of abnormally high standards do you have?
    Totally not getting it. Attractiveness is subjective. Looks are more objective. You can say someone is good looking in terms of facial structure but that doesn't mean you'll find them attractive. What most people think is attractive - conventional good looks - isn't attractive to me. In all honesty personality is a much bigger factor than looks really. The girl next door and supermodel stereotypes aren't my type.

(Original post by alexs2602)
      Totally not getting it. Attractiveness is subjective. Looks are more objective. You can say someone is good looking in terms of facial structure but that doesn't mean you'll find them attractive. What most people think is attractive - conventional good looks - isn't attractive to me. In all honesty personality is a much bigger factor than looks really. The girl next door and supermodel stereotypes aren't my type.
      That's true, but still, you wouldn't bang them?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by superduper9)

I agree that not all models are healthy but some supermodels (in particular lingerie ones who tend to be less curvy) live a much healthier lifestyle than your average girl, as they eat proper foods but not too uch, work out a lot and that kind of thing. And they are "naturally pretty" I'd say, just because one wears makeup doesn't mean one doesn't look good without it Else they wouldn't be hired as models, why put tons of effort into cosmetics/surgery etc. when you can hire a model who naturally has it?

ReputationRep:
      I've never been a fan of heavy make up and fake tan etc and much prefer a more "down to earth" girl, if you wish to put it like that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sloaney Pony)
      But he might have TSR/hacked your internet connection and get offended at how much you dislike him And he'll turn up at night
      I don't think so I'll send him to your door :teehee:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ForgetMe)
      I don't think so I'll send him to your door :teehee:
      Well how do you know I'm not him :teehee:

Spoiler:
      Show
      I can hear youuuu next door

ReputationRep:
      Well how do you know I'm not him :teehee:

Spoiler:
      Show
      I can hear youuuu next door
      My 7th sense tells me you are not him

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ForgetMe)
      My 7th sense tells me you are not him
      I might just be a creep in disguise as a girl :creep:

ReputationRep:
      I might just be a creep in disguise as a girl :creep:
      My sense tells me you are not in a disguise :sexface:

ReputationRep:
      So what is it that's so much better about the "girl next door" look? Just the not being very slim thing? Or is it their features too? :confused:
      I don't like girls who are very slim, but that's not all. The girls next door type seem to be more soft spoken, humble etc. You look at those type of girls and you think she could easily be my GF/Wife. A commoner while also being good looking. In terms of features, the supermodels obviously have better ones. But, I am not really into them models much.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.