Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

discount for 'scantily clad girls' to stop them being attacked Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoferdinand)
    This is a discussion about rape on women .The vast majority of rapes are committed by men on women .
    Actually, this discussion is about a local council considering having taxi drivers charge women less if they are dressed in very little. Their reasoning is that such women are more vulnerable than men or other women, even though we are told time and again that what a woman wears has no relation to her chances of being sexually assaulted. (And despite the fact that men are, overall, more likely to be assaulted.)

...also i think anyone with a brain cell knows that most men are not rapist
    You do realise that you are insulting the core leadership of the feminist movement, who promote that all men are rapists, or at the very least are potential rapists? I agree that any rational person is well aware that most men are naturally protective and caring - especially of women - but that is not the social message being sent out, not always with subtlety.

ReputationRep:
    Erm yes and no,i think it depends if you know how to take care of yourself,but anyway this subject isn't about anybody walking around at night its about women walking around by themselves
    Good point. So the message is not only "wear less if you want a cheap taxi fare" but it is also "don't go around in a group if you want a cheap taxi fare."

A moment's thought shows how silly this is.

ReputationRep:
    i.......erm.......... what?

This really beggars belief - what a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darien)
    You do realise that you are insulting the core leadership of the feminist movement, who promote that all men are rapists, or at the very least are potential rapists?
    But they're frankly idiots

ReputationRep:
    I still dont get what you are trying to say mate ,
    This is a discussion about rape on women .The vast majority of rapes are committed by men on women .
    That shouldn't be up for debate , also i think anyone with a brain cell knows that most men are not rapist
    You cannot have a discussion about rape without disccusing both genders. Most rapes are indeed commited on women. Nonetheless rapes on Men by Females are only not acknowledged because the UK definition of rape is archaic and sexist against men. This should be discussed, will be discussed and this is an appropriate a venue as any. Your grammar needs to be amended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rational Thinker)
    You cannot have a discussion about rape without disccusing both genders. Most rapes are indeed commited on women. Nonetheless rapes on Men by Females are only not acknowledged because the UK definition of rape is archaic and sexist against men. This should be discussed, will be discussed and this is an appropriate a venue as any. Your grammar needs to be amended.
    Equality is largely one-sided

ReputationRep:
    These scantily clad sluts should be responsible for themselves. Let them keep deluding themselves that rape is all about power. I personally don't want my money spent on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaaaa)
    I totally agree that this is indirect victim blaming and it sends out the wrong message to young women. Why don't we start to teach boys and young men that a scantily clad women does not equal an easy lay?
    I find that just as sexist as the proposals.... ie: assuming all boys/young men see scantily clad women as "targets"

ReputationRep:
    I'll just put a wig on and dress like a slut, yay cheap taxi :gah: That's just ridiculous, don't they think there might be an increase in numbers just because of this? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    If it means more scantily clad women, I'm in.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with most posts, this is a ridiculous idea because any woman despite what she is wearing can get raped. It is never a woman/man's fault, it's the rapist's and a person should be able to walk around butt naked and not get raped. Not that I'm saying people should do that. How about teaching that no means no instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Such a silly idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    I find that just as sexist as the proposals.... ie: assuming all boys/young men see scantily clad women as "targets"
    Actually I'm not being sexist at all, I know that most groups in society have a small minority that ruins it for everyone else and I wasn't, for one minute, lumping all men together as sex pests. However, you can't deny that there's a small minority of young men who are maybe less intelligent than the average person who when they're drunk (or sometimes even sober) will sexually harass a woman who they find attractive or is leaving less to the imagination with what they're wearing. Like, it's understandable because we live in a society where nudity is immediately associated with sexuality, for example, you have things like Strippers who are paid to make themselves seem sexually available by taking their clothes off in front of the opposite gender and rap videos where girls are dancing round in tiny shorts and bras while the rappers are aiming sexually explicit lyrics at them. Not to mention, that the act of sex itself involves being naked. So you can see how someone who is less intelligent and is listens to rap music or reads lads mags that have nearly naked women that are supposedly 'naughty' and 'down for whatever' all over them will immediately assume that the girl they see in the mini dress will also be 'down for whatever' if they try it on with them.
    All I am suggesting is that maybe if we start teaching young people that just because the girl in the 50 Cent video was wearing very little to seem sexually available to 50 Cent, doesn't necessarily mean that the scantily-clad girl on the dance floor is wearing very little to seem sexually available the guys around her and that actually, nudity isn't something that is offensive or dirty, it's simply us in our most natural form and leaving very little to the imagination doesn't always have to be viewed as a sexual thing.

ReputationRep:
    Just when I think this beta society can't sink any lower...

ReputationRep:
    Is there actually some evidence that wearing skimpy clothing increases the chance of getting assaulted? People take it as some absolute truth, but I've never seen any actual statistical evidence that is the case. And even if you proved a correlation, that doesn't prove a causation. It could be that women who partake in "risky" behaviour (whatever that might be) are also the type of person who normally wears revealing clothes. So even if they covered up more, it doesn't necessarily reduce their chance of being assaulted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Is there actually some evidence that wearing skimpy clothing increases the chance of getting assaulted?
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    I think there should be a survey done on what women are actually wearing when targeted by opportunistic rapists. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a strong suspicion that clothing and appearance has a large part to do with it. Having said this, I don't think they should get reduced fares, its not that big of a problem and it will put a major hole in taxi profits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darien)
    Actually, this discussion is about a local council considering having taxi drivers charge women less if they are dressed in very little. Their reasoning is that such women are more vulnerable than men or other women, even though we are told time and again that what a woman wears has no relation to her chances of being sexually assaulted. (And despite the fact that men are, overall, more likely to be assaulted.)

You do realise that you are insulting the core leadership of the feminist movement, who promote that all men are rapists, or at the very least are potential rapists? I agree that any rational person is well aware that most men are naturally protective and caring - especially of women - but that is not the social message being sent out, not always with subtlety.

Feminists promote that all men are rapists? That's news to me. I don't think I have heard that from a feminist before. A misandrist, maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Haha

Now they might get attacked by the taxis !

ReputationRep:
    rape is highest in africa region in south africa and all over.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.