Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Battlefield 4 or C.O.D Ghosts? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's as if bf fans are insecure or something. Both games are good, what to get depends on your ideal shooter or play style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkhamz)
    It's as if bf fans are insecure or something. Both games are good, what to get depends on your ideal shooter or play style.
    Most Battlefield fans have Napoleon complexes, seriously. In every thread mentioning Call of Duty, on any forum, or any YouTube video, you will always find a good 60% of the respondents ****ging off CoD in favour of Battlefield. Destruction this, Frostbite that, MUH BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL here and vehicles there. You won't see nearly as much people ****ting on Battlefield in related threads, videos, etc.

(Original post by DDT10)
    What happened to the series? I started with Modern Combat on the PS2 and the only other one I've played a lot was BF3 which I liked, but it seems that I got an a product that was inferior compared to previous offerings based on opinions here.
    It's a lot simpler and dumbed down than it used to be. Like I've said, map design has gotten a whole lot worse because it has to cater to the modern generation of gamers who need a carrot dangled in front of their faces at all times, in the form of a constant stream of kills. There's more hand-holding and the games are much less complex than they used to be, which brings down the skill-ceiling. Gunplay is a simple affair of whoever shoots first wins most of the time.

The games are basically flash with little substance.

ReputationRep:
    Battlefield 4 above Ghosts any day of the week. I'm not a fan of running with an SMG around like a jumped-up druggie. Much prefer sitting on the hills with a sniper!

Although the game that I'm really looking forward to is the Witcher 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    Most Battlefield fans have Napoleon complexes, seriously. In every thread mentioning Call of Duty, on any forum, or any YouTube video, you will always find a good 60% of the respondents ****ging off CoD in favour of Battlefield. Destruction this, Frostbite that, MUH BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL here and vehicles there. You won't see nearly as much people ****ting on Battlefield in related threads, videos, etc.

It's a lot simpler and dumbed down than it used to be. Like I've said, map design has gotten a whole lot worse because it has to cater to the modern generation of gamers who need a carrot dangled in front of their faces at all times, in the form of a constant stream of kills. There's more hand-holding and the games are much less complex than they used to be, which brings down the skill-ceiling. Gunplay is a simple affair of whoever shoots first wins most of the time.

I see....I don't mind the maps though, some are good, some not so much...although I have to admit that some admit I got confused with each other easily because they looked so similar :lol:

When you say modern generation...do you mean those that are around the age of 18? I dunno if I should be insulted :lol:
    Although I'd guess the constant stream of kills is demanded a lot more probably because of the influence of COD.
    The gunplay...I thought it was ok, although I've been guilty of just zipping around on Noshahr Canals TD with a silenced PP-19, RDS and Laser Sight and just blasting the next person that moves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDT10)
    I see....I don't mind the maps though, some are good, some not so much...although I have to admit that some admit I got confused with each other easily because they looked so similar :lol:

When you say modern generation...do you mean those that are around the age of 18? I dunno if I should be insulted :lol:
    Although I'd guess the constant stream of kills is demanded a lot more probably because of the influence of COD.
    The gunplay...I thought it was ok, although I've been guilty of just zipping around on Noshahr Canals TD with a silenced PP-19, RDS and Laser Sight and just blasting the next person that moves
    The problem with BF3 gunplay is that it's a simple case of spray and pray. Weapons are accurate and people die extremely quickly. It requires little to no skill, even at medium ranges. In previous Battlefields, it was a lot more punishing towards spray and pray gameplay (unless you were extremely close), which meant that you had to control your gunfire a lot better.

I'm just going to copy and paste a bunch of jibber jabber I've said on other forums in the past because it's kinda tiring typing things out again and again and I really can't be bothered.

Crappier maps, as already explained (70%+ unused deadspace with flag cluster****: electric boogaloo 2 in the middle). Infinite ammo for all vehicles (dumb) means there's no reason for teamwork between vehicles and infantry because vehicles can spearhead everything, solo. Less complex vehicle hitboxes (front, middle, back + angles vs more distinct locations of varying damage). Gunplay dumbed down to **** so people die in a fraction of a second promotes spray and pray rather than actually aiming. Teamwork options gimped - can only set waypoints on flags and not anywhere on the map and spawn on anyone encourages more squad hopping than before. Brought along infinitely more retarded twinks who think that the game is about trying to get the longest headshot possible. DICE and EA killed the modding community.

The only genuinely decent new feature, in terms of gameplay, that BF3 brings to the table, is squad perks. Great idea.

------

vs

BF2 map design was far superior. No major problems with dead space meant for jets and choppers there. They just flew over the hotspots instead of dedicating 70% of the map to empty space so that they can fly overhead and corkscrew around each other when dogfighting. Having airborne vehicles constantly above flags means that they're more likely to be involved in the whole combined aspect of Battlefield, rather than two [usually] separate theatres of combat on the same server (air-to-air and ground)

Proxy sensor makes you near invincible in a tank. If you're not a retard and know how angles of attack work, you also equip reactive armour and constantly turn your tank in vehicular combat so that they don't have a perpendicular shot and/or they're firing on a fresh piece. Throw in infinite ammo and it's easy to rape an entire team with a tank. Not to forget regenerating health in vanilla mode. Most people don't even know how to work the angles, so it makes tank-tank combat easy.

BF2's tank took hits like this. It required knowledge to best someone in tank combat and teamwork to keep it alive because there was always a vulnerability present. Most people weren't aware of the weaknesses it had and had this misbelief that going for a ricochet to hit the nape between the turret and main body was an instakill, but had to be aware of stuff like the tracks, rather than just front/sides/back.

BF3's tank is front/sides/back, where perpendicular does the most damage and 10 degree increments (IIRC) deviated from that decrease it, where front can take the most damage and back, obviously, the least. Like I said above all you have to do in vehicle combat in BF3 is drive past the other tank, hit them in the sides if possible then get behind them so that you can kill them in two-three with a perpendicular shot to their behind, while trying to keep your front at a 45 degree angle to their turret. Easy. Even an RPG/SMAW does slightly less damage than a shell, so tanks aren't even that big a problem on foot (unless they're running proxy sensors)

------

If maps in BF3 had the same design ethos as they did in previous BF games, maps like Operation Firestorm would look like this:

And that's one of the big "open" maps in BF3. Don't even get me started on Davamand, Grand Bazaar, Métro, Sienne Crossing, etc. BF3 maps are linear and have a straight-forward progression through the map where you simply move from A to B to C to D and E most of the time, with very little variation of that.

All that open space also promotes anti-team players who just camp in the hills, 1KM away from the objectives because they want to spend the entire game trying to get a single long range headshot for their YouTube video montages rather than actually playing the objective.

Armored Kill maps were an improvement, but not by much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting both

ReputationRep:
    If my PC can run BF4, then BF4. I've played Battlefield games since BF2, which was great. I hope I can get a PS4 and play BF4 if my PC can't run it. But I'm also afraid it is a waste of money because there are so many other things to spend money on. Even if I can't play BF4 I will watch a lot of gameplay videos and all of the trailers, they're quite entertaining.

ReputationRep:
    Pointless buying either if you going to aim with your thumb.

PC gaming ftw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcs1988)
    Pointless buying either if you going to aim with your thumb.

PC gaming ftw.
    Battlefield isn't worth of being a PC shooter these days.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this a question? And why has it been asked?

I played battlefield from the start, 1942 - I remember the secret weapons of WW2 expansion.. The jetpack on the essen level- hours upon hours of fun

Then came vietnam, a refreshing change from BF1942, Road to Rome and Secret weapons - The maps were more varied and there weren't many vietnam era games back in 2004 when it was released - then came the golden era - Battlefield 2 and all the expansions that came with it. Even more hours of my life wasted away on that game, then 2142

BF3 comes along and redefines the genre, it didn't have the destruction of Bad company 1 and 2, but if you played on PC, your first game was probably caspian border or operation metro- And I know you were blown away with BF3, and it made Modern warfare 3 look like a pile of shyt

Now we have ghosts coming along, trying to work on destructable environments with their stupid DLC map, when we just know it's going to be scripted, whereas the destruction in BF4 is pretty much total and happens when it happens.
    Think about that when you destroy the support columns of that big hotel in Siege of Shanghai

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)

Because games like Unreal tournament and Quake 3 required more strategy? - You were just rocket jumping around each other hoping to score a decent shot with the railgun or the flak cannon, and remembering where the armour, health and ammo spawned
    Call of duty is far more linear than battlefield, and this is coming from someone who played both the first call of duty and the first battlefield game - Call of duty went to the dogs after CoD4- and this is coming from someone who racked up nearly 500 hours over PS3, Xbox360 and PC on that same game, prestiging to 10th on all 3 platforms

ReputationRep:
    for Battlefield 4 , is it true that the 64 player thing is only for the newer consoles ? if so , then how many players will the xbox 360/ PS3 be able to take ? its my first time buying battlefield this year , used to be buying CoD where they only get upto 12 players in a game so wondering what Battlefields is like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Backbrah)
    Because games like Unreal tournament and Quake 3 required more strategy? - You were just rocket jumping around each other hoping to score a decent shot with the railgun or the flak cannon, and remembering where the armour, health and ammo spawned
    I've already said that in this thread.

Call of duty is far more linear than battlefield, and this is coming from someone who played both the first call of duty and the first battlefield game - Call of duty went to the dogs after CoD4- and this is coming from someone who racked up nearly 500 hours over PS3, Xbox360 and PC on that same game, prestiging to 10th on all 3 platforms
    Call of Duty is the same ****. No difference, really.

Battlefield on the other hand, has taken a STEEP, STEEP drop down the hill and then some.

ReputationRep:
    BF4 hands down. COD will undoubtedly be the same regurgitated **** they been presenting and brand new innovation each year since cod 4. And again they'll be a poor move to solve the spawn problems that's plagued the game since cod 4.

Fool me once shame on me. Fool me for the sixth time... No, not again.

ReputationRep:
    I've always played Cod, always will play Cod.

ReputationRep:
    Deffo Battlefield, I'm confident Battlefield will sell more this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BadBanana)
    BF4 hands down. COD will undoubtedly be the same regurgitated **** they been presenting and brand new innovation each year since cod 4. And again they'll be a poor move to solve the spawn problems that's plagued the game since cod 4.

Fool me once shame on me. Fool me for the sixth time... No, not again.
    Most series regurgitate stuff if they don't copy ideas from elsewhere. While COD appears to be the worst for a lot of people, perhaps because it is an annual release, I used to play FIFA and PGA Tour and bought both each year. All FIFA did were squad updates in the past. PGA Tour just shifts around the golf courses on what is part of the game and what is DLC. There have been minor differences after the shift from arcade play to semi simulation from Tiger '11 onwards but nothing substantial. Beat em ups are also kinda guilty of this and I lost count how many rereleases there were of Street Fighter.

Not sure why you say BF4 hands down as I've already read people saying it's just BF3.5 without the blue tint and a lot of the weapons in BF3 have been brought back in BF4.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.